PDA

View Full Version : The Quest for the Exotic Mount

Rinnbaku
2013-07-12, 06:16 PM
Our party is about to join up with a bunch of crusaders heading out to conquest. They've all got mounts, so we're going to buy some in order to keep up. My character has a bunch of extra gold, and has a very flamboyant personality. There's no way he would settle for a simple horse as a mount. I wanted to find a creature similar to the lizard mount that Obi-wan Kenobi rode in Star Wars Episode III... is there such a beast in the monster manual(s), and is it rideable?

Lanson
2013-07-12, 06:37 PM
Amulet of Ooze Riding: Any time the wearer of this amulet comes into contact with an ooze, a sphere of force springs up around the wearer. The sphere prevents any contact with an ooze and protects the wearer from direct attacks by oozes. Caster Level:7th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, Otiluke's resilient sphere; Market Price: 28,000 gp.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-07-12, 06:44 PM
I know that there's stats for an Underdark Riding lizard somewhere... maybe Drow of the Underdark?

If you're open to other options, Stone Flyers (Und) are pretty cool.
http://dungeongeeks.wdfiles.com/local--files/rowaine/stone_flyer.jpg

Dessembrae
2013-07-12, 07:40 PM
Dire Bat or Giant Eagle, all the way. Flight > Might.

Maginomicon
2013-07-12, 08:18 PM
Some special mounts are available only to paladins of higher levels. A paladin of 6th level or higher can use a...

celestial heavy warhorse,
dire wolf,
hippogriff,
Large monstrous spider (small rider),
Large shark (aquatic only),
unicorn,
celestial warpony (small rider),
dire bat (small rider),
dire badger (small rider),
dire weasel (small rider), or
monitor lizard (small rider)

...as a mount. At 7th level, the...

dire boar,
dire wolverine,
giant eagle,
giant owl,
pegasus,
rhinoceros, and
sea cat (aquatic only)

...become available. At 8th level, a paladin can use a dire lion or a griffon as a mount.

5th level Paladins can choose a drakkensteed (Dragon Magic page 113), diprotodon (Sandstorm page 148), or a war camel (Sandstorm page 193) as a special mount.

The 6th level planar paladin substitution level (Planar Handbook page 33) applies the celestial template to their special mount (instead of getting the remove disease class feature). This is separate from the option to get a celestial heavy warhorse or celestial warpony that's available to any 6th-level paladin (since they already have the celestial template without having to take the substitution level).

There's also a number of dragon special mounts available at higher paladin levels (Draconomicon page 139).

Rinnbaku
2013-07-12, 11:25 PM
OK, I forgot to include that I'm a Bard. Class specific mounts won't apply. But thanks for theideas!

Coidzor
2013-07-12, 11:27 PM
I believe Underdark and the Drow of the Underdark book both have riding lizards, though some are animals, some are magical beasts. What you want though is basically any animal big enough to ride and nasty in a fight with the Warbeast (MM2) template slapped onto it so that it has a RAW price.

Magebred too if you can hack it, from the Eberron Campaign Setting.

u-b
2013-07-13, 01:05 AM
Pathfinder has quite a list of mounts, including aforementioned lizard. Might be adapted from that. As written, it's very good for its price.

unseenmage
2013-07-13, 01:17 AM
The Arms and Equipment Guide has a riding lizard I believe. Page 82, 1300gp. CR1 2HD but no climb speed IIRC.

Saintheart
2013-07-13, 05:48 AM
Drakkensteed, out of Dragon Magic or Races of the Dragon (AFB). Also known as the Clayton's Dragon mount.