PDA

View Full Version : bonus stacking

geekintheground
2013-07-12, 07:58 PM
at lvl 2, a swordsage gets a bonus to his AC = to his/her wis, does that stack with the AC bonus from ninja or monk?

another question is: factotums get an ability that lets them add their in to str/dex checks and skills, it calls it a modifier does that mean in addition to str/dex? does it stack with other class abilities that add int to initiative (looking specifically at bayushi deceiver from oriental adventures)

DeltaEmil
2013-07-12, 08:06 PM
The AC bonus of the swordsage only applies when the character is equipped with light armor (and is not encumbered and doesn't wield a shield).

The AC bonus of the monk or ninja only apply when the character is not equipped with any armor (and is not encumbered and doesn't wield a shield).

137beth
2013-07-12, 08:58 PM
However, the monk's bonus is of no particular type, so it stacks with the ninja's bonus. Even if ninja and monk's bonus stacked, it would still be worse than swordsage, but it could potentially be useful in a game with tier 4-5 classes and the no-stacking-ninja-and-monk-wisdom-bonus-rule removed.

geekintheground
2013-07-12, 09:05 PM
oh, i figured it meant "light armor or less". oh well

However, the monk's bonus is of no particular type, so it stacks with the ninja's bonus. It's still worse than swordsage, but it could potentially be useful in a game with tier 4-5 classes.

except that the ninja's ability specifically doesnt stack with monk.

nyjastul69
2013-07-12, 09:06 PM
A factotum's int modifier is in addition to any relevant dex or str modifier to the relevant checks, it does not replace it.

137beth
2013-07-12, 09:13 PM
oh, i figured it meant "light armor or less". oh well

except that the ninja's ability specifically doesnt stack with monk.

That's what I get for being lazy and only checking the srd without flipping through CAdv:smalltongue:

geekintheground
2013-07-12, 11:36 PM
That's what I get for being lazy and only checking the srd without flipping through CAdv:smalltongue:

lol, no worries.

Snowbluff
2013-07-13, 09:04 AM
I've always taken it as "Armor Bonus is the same ability as Armor Bonus, so they don't stack one each other" from the bits in the dexription about them not stacking.