PDA

View Full Version : Rules Conversions

AngelSword
2013-07-12, 10:05 PM
For reasons I won't go into, I am trying to convert some 4e game elements into Pathfinder, for use (primarily) at Gen Con. After having found something as awesome as the Vampire Translation Guide (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/86202/Vampire-Translation-Guide), I went looking for something similar for 4e & Pathfinder. Sadly (but not surprisingly), my search came up empty.

Does anyone know of any sort of good references to translate one system to the other?

Water_Bear
2013-07-12, 10:18 PM
No, and there likely never will. Between the fairly fierce 4e/PF schism and the fact that the games have virtually nothing in common to build on, there really isn't a good metric for conversion.

Also what game elements are we talking about here?

Big Fau
2013-07-12, 11:14 PM
The powers in 4E can be translated backwards fairly easily, although they would likely be much lower level than in 4E.

Sinfire Titan did a remake of the weapons in 3.X that borrows ideas from 4E (and Final Fantasy 7, although he says he drew more inspiration from Fable 1). It's good (significantly better than mundane weapons in 3.P), but IMO he didn't do enough to fix them (some weapons are still the only ones worth using, special materials and craft templates are bland and overpriced, and there isn't nearly enough augmentations if you aren't playing a Martial Adept).

The Warlock's powers would be the easiest to start with, IMO, as you'd just be translating them into Invocations and class features. Shadow Magic in 4E is what the Shadowcaster's rules should play like, albeit you would need to adjust them to be level-appropriate in 3.P.

AngelSword
2013-07-13, 03:03 AM
Mainly, monsters I made through Adventure Tools and skill challenge types of things. Trying to find a metric to convert down has been fruitless, and I don't want to just substitute with something close, since that'd sacrifice the themes of the encounters.

I do have player characters to convert, but that won't be too difficult. For them, the rules aren't as important as who that character is.

Scow2
2013-07-13, 09:25 PM
Convert monsters by replacing their HP and defenses with HD and type. Most monsters, though, have a corresponding Pathfinder or D&D 3.5 entry you can use.

AngelSword
2013-07-14, 03:18 PM
Most monsters, though, have a corresponding Pathfinder or D&D 3.5 entry you can use.

That doesn't help for monster built in the Adventure Tools. Besides…

…and I don't want to just substitute with something close, since that'd sacrifice the themes of the encounters.

Eldan
2013-07-14, 03:36 PM
Honestly, you're probably out of luck. Monster building in 3.5 is a pretty esoteric discipline anyway, with a lot of guesswork involved.

For a conversion, I'd say take the fluff and build something new that fits it. Best bet.