PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Cleric of Asmodeus

psilich
2013-07-12, 10:24 PM
My group is playing an evil campaign, and I'm trying to make a cleric. Due to the nature of the campaign, they must be a cleric of Asmodeus. Although I've played spellcasters before, I've never actually played a cleric, so any help is appreciated.

Starting level: 3
Alignment: LE

My ability scores are, w/o racial adjustments (we rolled scores in order, so I can't change them around):

Str: 8
Dex: 16
Con:13
Int: 16
Wis: 18
Cha: 17

I wanted to play an Aasimar, mainly for roleplaying, but if there is clearly a superior choice, I'm not adverse to doing a different race.

Allowed materials: all pathfinder material, 3.5 material is allowed on a case by case basis, as per the DM.

Does anyone have any good ideas build-wise? I looked at some of the guides and a pure casting cleric seems to be the best option, at least from my ability scores. Other than that, I'm not really sure what direction to take.

Dessembrae
2013-07-12, 10:31 PM
Aasimar is a good choice. Consider the Lesser Aasimar from Players Guide to Faerun instead. You count as a Humanoid instead of an Outsider (which sucks) and I think you might lose the Daylight 1/day SLA too, but Lesser Aasimar have a level adjustment of +0, instead of +1. Level adjustment is a big deal for spellcasters, moreso than melee combatants or skillmonkeys. Lesser Aasimar lets you keep the awesome stat modifiers with no loss of spellcasting.

Edit: I always miss the damn PF tag. My bad.

137beth
2013-07-13, 12:01 AM
Aasimar is a good choice. Consider the Lesser Aasimar from Players Guide to Faerun instead. You count as a Humanoid instead of an Outsider (which sucks) and I think you might lose the Daylight 1/day SLA too, but Lesser Aasimar have a level adjustment of +0, instead of +1. Level adjustment is a big deal for spellcasters, moreso than melee combatants or skillmonkeys. Lesser Aasimar lets you keep the awesome stat modifiers with no loss of spellcasting.

Edit: I always miss the damn PF tag. My bad.
To clarify: there is no Level Adjustment in PF, go full Aasimar.

For building a cleric, though, it is very important to keep in mind the rest of your group. Do you know what the other players are using?

psilich
2013-07-13, 08:09 AM
For building a cleric, though, it is very important to keep in mind the rest of your group. Do you know what the other players are using?

I believe the other players are going to play the following:

Drow alchemist
Dhampir summoner, using the synthesist archetype
human ranger, using the urban ranger archetype, and going for a switcher hitter build

Is that enough information? I can try to get specifics if I need to.

CockroachTeaParty
2013-07-13, 09:36 AM
Your stats are pretty awesome, but the low Strength hurts a bit. Normally I'd say make an archer cleric build with that Dex score. You might be able to fake it for a while with a crossbow at low levels, but that will quickly fall behind.

Focus on your magic; you've got the Wisdom and Charisma to be a monster at spells and energy channeling. You can go the Undead route and pick up feats like Control Undead, Undead Master, etc., and control a small army of deathless minions.

It's always useful to go the summoning route as a cleric as well. Augment Summoning and Superior Summoning make it hard to mess up Summon Monster spells. You can use them as flanking buddies, distractions, and tanks, and they provide great flexibility and utility.

Lastly, with your high save DCs for spells, you can even dabble in a bit of blasting. Asmodeus gives the Fire domain if I'm not mistaken, which allows access to some burny goodness.

You're a cleric, one of the most powerful classes in the game, full-stop. The only thing I'd advise against is pursuing melee combat.