PDA

View Full Version : Flameburst Drake (New Monster)

Uthgar
2006-12-09, 01:24 PM
Hello all! Just had my first monster creation (not counting that ill-fated Dire Rust Monster), and I would love to hear some constructive criticism. I haven't sickjed this nasty rascal on any of my PCs just yet. All intelligent commentary will greatly be appreciated.

Flameburst Drake
Large Dragon (Fire)

Hit Dice: 16d12 + 160 (250 HP)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 50 ft. (ten squares), Climb 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 30 (-1 size, +8 Dex, +13 Natural); touch 17, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +16/+29
Attack: Bite +26 (2d8 + 10)
Full Attack: Bite +26 (2d8+10) and 2 claws +24 (1d10+10) and tail slap +19 (1d8+15)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath Weapon, Pounce, Improved Grab, Rake
Special Qualities: Darkvision 120 ft., fire resistance 10
Saves: Fort20, Ref18, Wis8
Abilities: Str30, Dex26, Con30, Int8, Wis12, Cha6
Skills: Hide +27, Jump +29, Move Silently +27, Climb +29, Listen +20
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Improved Natural Attacks (Bite and Claw), Multiattack, Improved Trip, Power Attack
Environment: Mountains, Underground, Volcanic Regions
Organization: Single, mated pair
Challenge Rating: 10
Treasure: Standard (rings and coins)
Alignment: Neutral (evil)

Breath Weapon: The fireburst drake derives its name from this attack. It spits a glob of phlegm into an area within 100 feet, and it explodes on contact much like the fireball spell. The burst does 8d10 fire damage (reflex DC 22 for half)

Tactics: Fireburst drakes prefer to stalk their prey, then pounce when their targets are flat-footed. If this fails, they also enjoy tripping opponents, then grappling them and using their Power Attack to bite them to death. If their prey looks too tough, they will start off with their breath weapons before pouncing. Flameburst drakes are not as smart as their dragon cousins, but they know enough to run away when they lose more than 50% of their hit points. This is usually accomplished through prodigious leaping and climbing the sheer walls of their mountainous homes.

Shadowblade89
2006-12-09, 07:52 PM
Seems to have a lot of hp and AC for a CR 10, though I guess the hp is offest if they flee when reduced to half health.

MandibleBones
2006-12-10, 10:00 AM
Well, it has none of the "OMG CR BREAKING" special abilities of a dragon, which offsets the dragon hit points. All its special attacks are the same as an animal of its size, except for the breath weapon.

Of course, a 10th-level arcane caster will end it in one shot unless it rolls well on a will save, and while it will tear into a fighter or other meat shield, it's likely defeatable with a minimum of loss to a 10th-level party.

I'd say it's maybe a little unbalanced for CR10 - but well within the CR10-12 range.

magic8BALL
2006-12-10, 09:53 PM
...yeah I don't have any quarms with the actually dragon itself, it looks balanced, has tactics and all that...

...just do you think the world needs another dragon? Have you looked around? There's 169* dragon associated beasties in 3.5... couldn't you use one of them..? A red dragon not good enough..? or was this for a random encounter (that dragons should never be)..?

*http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/monsters&tablefilter=Dragon

sigurd
2006-12-11, 07:02 AM
I think its more interesting if its not a real dragon. A competing lizard bred to breath fire.

Considering its light on SQ and magic use anyway why don't you make it a bred aberation patterned on the dragon and in use by ..... Instead of making it another dragon make it a potential war machine.

Or make it into a grand daddy behir.

There are a lot of dragons in the game but the right history will always make a room for another monster.

just my .02,

Sigurd

Uthgar
2006-12-14, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone; the primary stats were taken from a CR 10 monster, the Juvenile Red Dragon. My RP group owns like all the books, so I try to make new things that they can't look up and slay easily. It's obviously geared more towards chewing on meat-shields that reflecting spellcasters, being a more physical entity. Thanks again!