PDA

View Full Version : Tramp Stamp

David Argall
2013-07-13, 12:54 AM
Back in 468, we got a look at Haley's tramp stamp, which had us speculating quite a bit about its purpose. Our best guesses were that it would have relevance to her past some way, say identifying her to dad or other kin [or enemy]. But it has now been 400+ strips and I don't recall another mention despite knowing a lot more of Haley's background and her relatives.
Do you think...

It was just decoration in the first place and never had much meaning?
The plot got changed some way and it just never got used?
It is still to come up?
I didn't read comic xxx very closely and should do that?

Paisley
2013-07-13, 01:08 AM
Personally, I never thought of it as anything more than a vaguely interesting detail. Maybe something she got to spite her dad during a fit of teenage angst (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0093.html).

Others can come up with far more creative speculation, I'm sure.

murph04
2013-07-13, 01:09 AM
Looks like a heart with an arrow through it to me

Bird
2013-07-13, 01:35 AM
It looks too high up on her back to be a tramp stamp.

Cavenskull
2013-07-13, 03:33 AM
This is still being debated?! The meaning of it was revealed in the same strip where Elan grew his eye back.

Gift Jeraff
2013-07-13, 12:43 PM
It's her brand's logo. Haley is part of a series of mass produced constructs.

Paisley
2013-07-13, 01:13 PM
Alternatively, it's a self-destruct button, and Elan is the worst possible guy she could be dating.

Grey Watcher
2013-07-13, 10:45 PM
Back in 468, we got a look at Haley's tramp stamp, which had us speculating quite a bit about its purpose. Our best guesses were that it would have relevance to her past some way, say identifying her to dad or other kin [or enemy]. But it has now been 400+ strips and I don't recall another mention despite knowing a lot more of Haley's background and her relatives.
Do you think...

It was just decoration in the first place and never had much meaning?
The plot got changed some way and it just never got used?
It is still to come up?
I didn't read comic xxx very closely and should do that?

My serious answer is that it's the first thing. I want to do a silly answer, but I don't think I can top things like these....

It's her brand's logo. Haley is part of a series of mass produced constructs.

Alternatively, it's a self-destruct button, and Elan is the worst possible guy she could be dating.

rodneyAnonymous
2013-07-14, 01:06 AM
It looks too high up on her back to be a tramp stamp. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0468.html)

I agree. A "tramp stamp (https://www.google.com/images?q=tramp+stamp)" is a tattoo on the lower back.

David Argall
2013-07-14, 01:37 AM
At the moment, but the basic of a tramp stamp is only secondarily location. Rather it is a tattoo that is meant to be seen, but should not be [at least in the opinion of the more bluenosed critics] since that requires exposure of that patch of skin. Thus the tramp stamp can be on almost any part of the lass, depending on local standards of proper dress.

Oakianus
2013-07-14, 01:55 AM
At the moment, but the basic of a tramp stamp is only secondarily location. Rather it is a tattoo that is meant to be seen, but should not be [at least in the opinion of the more bluenosed critics] since that requires exposure of that patch of skin. Thus the tramp stamp can be on almost any part of the lass, depending on local standards of proper dress.

This is true, as long as words don't mean things.

ufo
2013-07-14, 05:42 AM
This is true, as long as words don't mean things.

Completely agree.

Nimrod's Son
2013-07-14, 02:19 PM
Thus the tramp stamp can be on almost any part of the lass, depending on local standards of proper dress, as long as it's the lower back.
There ya go.

Cavenskull
2013-07-14, 03:09 PM
I love how when there was that debate on the meaning of 'badass', you were quite willing to disregard official dictionary definitions of the word in favor of a user-submitted UrbanDictionary.com definition. But now that the debate is over the term 'tramp stamp', you're conveniently ignoring the definitions found at that same site. When I looked up tramp stamp (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Tramp+Stamp) at UrbanDictionary.com, every single definition on the first five pages made reference to such a tattoo being either on the lower back, or above a woman's rear. And all four sample images show tattoos on the lower back. A scant 7 of the 49 definitions fail to specify a location for the tattoo. Of those 7, 4 are simply vague and the other three have nothing to do at all with tattoos. It's no coincidence that those few vague/irrelevant definitions happen to be buried near the bottom of the list.

Speaking of vague, it's interesting that in the case of 'badass', you rejected the official dictionary definitions in favor of UrbanDictionary.com because the official definitions were too vague. But in the case of 'tramp stamp', here you are deliberately trying to push a definition that's more vague than what's available at UrbanDictionary.com.

Bulldog Psion
2013-07-14, 03:17 PM
The tramp stamp only has one location that I'm aware of. Rather an offensive term, though, isn't it? :smallconfused:

The Giant
2013-07-14, 03:33 PM
Rather an offensive term, though, isn't it? :smallconfused:

I agree. Locked.