PDA

View Full Version : Bott Island- North IC

Trollololololol
2013-07-13, 06:31 AM
Duke Earl of Jarl handed the party one day's worth of rations as he wished them luck on their quest. The rations contained some fruits, meats, and a loaf of freshly baked bread.

"Thank you all so much for taking the time to go out and adventure. This is truly one of the most important jobs for our small town," Earl said.

As a couple of stares are directed at him, he quickly clears his throat and continues.

"Of course, I would go on this epic voyage myself, but... I have to keep an eye on the town. Plus, I have to... work on... some... work. Anyways, best of luck to you on your journey!

Earl gives a friendly pat on the back to each member of the party and then walks off to the tavern. You turn around and find yourself face to face with a shallow forest. There are a handful of trees, but you can see all the way through the lightly-wooded forest to the other side. From what you see, the forest is completely cleared.

DrK
2013-07-13, 08:16 AM
"Dragon" gives the Earl a short bow. "It will be an honour milord to venture forth and earn fame and fortune over the mighty beasts that meet their ends at our blades."

He watches the Earl withdraw with a slight smirk before turning to his new companions that likewise had been summoned to clear the mysterious island. "You may call me Dragon. - that is my prey. Shall we head forth for fame and glory?"

That said he waits for the others to introduce themselves- watching the small kobold with a suspicious stare before gesturing vaguely in the direction the Earl had pointed and starting to walk slowly into the wild - his strange hooked polearm slung casually on his shoulder.

Grimlocked
2013-07-13, 08:43 AM
"Aye, mate. Dragon it is then! That's a rather... interesting nickname, eh? Well, allow me to introduce myself. The name is Mephisto. You may call me Mephisto. Or The Great Mephisto! Whichever you prefer really," the lanky redhead replied. As he watched the Musclebound man march to the forest, he let out a quiet chuckle.

"Someone is obviously anxious about going through Bott Island!" Mephisto declared. He gathered his belongings together and followed the anxious Dragon towards the forest.

SalmonOfDoubt
2013-07-13, 03:23 PM
Tik hitched his pack a bit higher on his shoulders, adjusting his wings slightly to make room. He tuned out the words of the duke, as the kobold cared nothing for formalities. He was here for those shiny gold disks that he could trade for food and... other things. Mostly food. There was a promise of them if he went, so he did.

Tike tensed when he heard the word "dragon," perking his head up a bit and snapping his attention back to the present. It took him a moment to process exactly what the man before him had said about them. He... preyed on dragons? How? Dragons were invincible! But by the time Tik had opened his mouth to protest, the man was already heading forth into the woods.

He scampered forward, taking two strides for each one of the much larger humans. I be Tik. You call me Tik.

Cognomen
2013-07-13, 03:34 PM
Too thin (even gaunt) to be described as "towering," Insulsus nonetheless towers reedily over the party. He puts the rations in his pack, giving the Duke a distracted smile and a polite bow. A large black bird perched on his shoulder gives the food a hopeful glance, then looks after the Duke as he walks off. "Corn?" she croaks.

"No, Anxior, no corn today." He clears his throat and gives each of his fellow party members, without exception, a dazzling smile (he does seem a bit startled by the kobold, but not unfriendly). "Insulsus Auris at your service. This is my familiar, Anxior." At the mention of her name she takes a couple steps across his shoulder and starts picking at his chestnut-colored hair; Insulsus makes a vague, ineffective gesture to push her away. "Shall we go see what we can find? There might be elves." His eyes light up at this thought, before dimming as a realization hits. He looks down his tall frame in obvious dismay, reaches up and pinches the tops of his ears as if checking for something... and clearly finds them wanting, given the subsequent deep sigh. He mutters to himself. "Should've cast disguise self, at least. No, no, Insulsus, you know not to do that just because of these. Remember what Master Infaustus said about facing your lot in life."

But he cheers up again quickly enough as he watches the young man with the startling weapon walk towards the forest. "Oh, a forest! What luck! Elves often live in forests. I've lived in forests! Forests are quite interesting, you know. Full of trees. They say sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees (but why would you want to see anything but the trees? A forest is the trees, isn't it? They say such odd things). Yes. Woods: I really must do more research on them."

By the time Insulsus finishes speaking Dragon, Mephisto and Tik are a ways away. He throws a last look at his remaining companion, accompanied by another earnest smile, and hurries, with his long strides, to fall in step behind the little kobold. "Such a clear, well-kept forest," he muses. "Rarely seen such a clear forest. That's odd." He glances at Anxior, who caws at him, launches herself off his shoulder and flies towards the woods.

A pebble at Insulsus' feet catches his eye and he picks it up as he walks. "Oo. Heliotrope, aka bloodstone, form of chalcedony. Cryptocrystalline mix of quartz and moganite, its monoclinic polymorph. The red's the iron oxide, of course. Not very common in the forests back home. Good omen? Bad omen? That lovely Elven girl, forgot her name (she had such lovely ears), she collects these." He slips the pebble into a pocket of his breeches.

Anxior will fly about 30 ft before the party and see what she can see of the forest before they get there:
Anxior - Spot: [roll0]
Anxior - Listen: [roll1]

Insulsus is doing his best (which isn't saying much) to concentrate on the forest as well, so I'll roll checks for him too (Trollololololol, I hope I'm right in assuming we're doing these kinds of rolls ourselves).
Insulsus - Spot: [roll2]
Insulsus - Listen: [roll3]

Trollololololol
2013-07-13, 04:43 PM
Cognomen:
You may make your own rolls. Your hawk makes it through the forest without an issue. Because you can see all the way through to the other side, you and your hawk see nothing but a few scattered trees. You try to listen for anything, but a dreadful ringing hits your ears. It is a loud, obnoxious ringing that can't seem to stop.

As you continue making your way into the forest, a Bugbear appears before the party. In a terrifying second, you notice the Bugbear's face is twisted in terror and confusion as he has no idea why he continues to teleport every time he blinks. At the sight of the party, he lets out a brief, high-pitched shriek.

"AIIIEEEEEEE!!!" He shrieks before disappearing again.

When the Bugbear disappears, the forest is silent again.

DrK
2013-07-14, 04:40 AM
Dragon sprints forward, poleaxe held high above his head in the punishing stance his tutors had taught him months ago. Spinning it around he runs to the spot where the bugbear vanished.

Standing still he shouts out his challenge to the empty air. Come out and fight. Let martial prowess not magical trickery settle this!

OOC

I advance to where the highest vanished and enter punishing stance

Trollololololol
2013-07-14, 07:20 AM
With the rest of the party watching, you stand in your punishing stance for quite some time, only to be greeted by a soft breeze. The mysterious Bugbear is nowhere to be seen.

You look around only to see a mountain in the distance, a nearby lake, and a small campfire sitting in the mouth of a cave.

Grimlocked
2013-07-14, 07:23 AM
"'ey now! Being a little aggressive are we?" Mephisto cracks. "Say, how 'bout I show you all a little trick? Watch this!"

Mephisto pulls out his manacles and locks them over his wrist. He tries to pull his wrists apart to prove the manacles were no fakes.

"And now..."

Escape Artist: [roll0]

Mephisto looked down at his wrists, still locked in the manacles.
"Aaand... well then. Does anyone care to reach for the key in my trouser pocket?"

Cognomen
2013-07-14, 04:13 PM
Insulsus, right before the bugbear appears, claps his hands over his ears with a yelp of pain. He gives another yelp at the sight of the snarling monster, and, after it blinks out of existence, stares in complete astonishment at the place where it was, his hands still over his ears. In the sky not too far above, Anxior cries out shrilly. "Monster! Bad monster!" Insulsus ignores her and keeps staring, then begins to talk as he gets over his initial surprise.

"That was a goblinoid, bugbear subtype! Horrible things. I saw a picture once. (Very nice picture. Very colorful. Elven work, you know, in one of Master Infaustus' books. Used to make me dust it. He does love his books. I mean, he is an elf. But who doesn't love books, really? Don't have to be an elf to love books.)" His raven flaps down from above and lands on Insulsus' shoulder again. She pecks at his hair a couple of times and then settles down. Her glossy head tilted, she trains one beady eye on Dragon as he runs forward and whirls into in his stance.

Insulsus pulls his hands off his ears and continues. "What is that infernal ringing noise? Something's not right here. Of course, that was probably obvious, wasn't it. Do bugbears produce ringing noises? Can't remember seeing that in the book."

A knowledge check (arcana) to see if Insulsus can guess anything about the noise:
[roll0]
Has it stopped now that the bugbear is gone?

"Hmm. Bugbears can be very dangerous; I'm sure that's what the book said. (Not literally, of course. This wasn't one of those talking books. They give me the creeps, those things.) Anyway, yes, very dangerous. Looked quite frightened, poor chap, terrible scream, but my, those teeth. Oh dear. Better use the old Divination to try to see what's going on. Nothing wrong with Divination. Not as good as transmutation, obviously, but very useful sometimes. Had a lovely Divination teacher at school. Half-elf, wonderful chap. Moon elf, you know. Blue around the ears, telling sign."

Insulsus stands up a little straighter and pulls himself together, his face changing to a surprising extent as he does his best to concentrate on the spot where the bugbear appeared. He mumbles something under his breath and makes a gesture with one hand.

Insulsus casts Detect Magic in a 60 ft cone centered on where the bugbear appeared, and extending further into the forest in that direction. He will cast it for the full three rounds possible unless Mephisto's predicament interrupts him.

Trollololololol, hope you don't mind the Faerūnian reference. Trying to give more flavor to Insulsus' ramblings.

DrK
2013-07-14, 04:24 PM
As the wizards appear to go insane - one in manacles and the other talking to himself and a bird Dragon cannot help but stare at them and the rest of the party with a look of mild confusion.

Staring and looking for common sense he whistles to get some attention and motions towards the distant camp fire. "Shall we head over there then"

And with a sly grin at the "brilliant one" "I reckon you can slip out of them before we reach the cave.."

SalmonOfDoubt
2013-07-14, 04:35 PM
Tik looked back and forth, from Mephisto to Insulus to Dragon, listening to what each one said in turn. Or at least, trying to. Mephisto's half-formed words, Insulus' tendency to ramble, and the Dragon's slightly archaic speech made all three of them somewhat difficult to understand. He did catch two important tidbits though. Manacles, and a campfire.

The kobold dutifully fished the key out of the illusionist's pocket, undid the manacles, and patted the much larger man's wrists, giving him a reptilian grin all the while. Then he turned and moved forward, quickly as he could, towards the campfire, casting his senses about as he did so. He shouted back over his shoulder, to the rest of the party. Got good nose and eye. Me go looky-see what ahead. Okay? Okay.

Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

Nat 20 Listen. Whoo!

Trollololololol
2013-07-14, 09:12 PM
Insulsis:
The ringing continues for a minute more. It was because you crit failed on your listen check. So you can't really hear much of anything going on around you.

Also, your Detect Magic came back empty. No magic was detected at all.

Tik:
The sun suddently breaks through the clouds and shines brightly right in your eyes, blinding you for the next minute. However, you manage to hear two different sets of laughter above the crackling of the fire...

The party begins to make their way towards the cave where a small campfire is crackling at the entrance. From your distance, the campfire appears to have been deserted.

Grimlocked
2013-07-14, 09:57 PM
"Why thank ya!" Mephisto said as he rubbed his wrist. He watched as Dragon made his way towards the small campfire and let a quick sigh as he ran after the hulking man.

Mephisto casts Mage Armor on himself as he closes in on the campfire. He looks around for any sign of the people who left the fire. After all, if the fire is still going, they can't be too far away!

Spot [roll0]

SalmonOfDoubt
2013-07-14, 10:05 PM
Tik quickly scurried back to the rest of the group, rubbing his eyes as he does so. Laughs. There is laughs by fire. I did hearing them. Two. Me have goody-good ear too.

Grimlocked
2013-07-15, 05:55 PM
"Oh, is that so? Looks like we better prepare ourselves."

Mephisto mutters something under his breath and a copy of himself appears just a few feet from the campfire.

Trollololololol
2013-07-15, 06:09 PM
As the image of Mephisto appears, a pair of Kobolds appear behind bushes at the image. One is dark green, the other dark red. They begin whispering to each other and then make a statement to the image.

SalmonOfDoubt
2013-07-15, 06:25 PM
Tik's eyes light up when he sees the kobolds. It has been a while since he set eyes on others of his own kind. He runs forward, abandoning any pretext of stealth, and calls out to them in Draconic. Dragon-kin! Hello. We are explorers from Bott City. What might you be doing out here by yourselves?

DrK
2013-07-15, 06:48 PM
Dragon watches the kobolds before looking to Tik. What are they saying? Do they mean to challenge us?

The obvious hope in Dragons voice that they mean trouble...

Trollololololol
2013-07-15, 08:19 PM
The green Kobold looks at Tik with slight confusion.

"Dragon-kin? No no no, we be Kobold! Mighty Kobold! I be Han, and that be my twin brother Pan. What be this Bott City that you speaks of?"

The other Kobold simply shrugs. As you observe the Kobolds, something seems very off about them...

SalmonOfDoubt
2013-07-15, 08:55 PM
Assuming they're responding in Draconic...

Tik tilts his head slightly, scrutinizing the two creatures before him. Bott City... It's a place full of the tall ones, not very far from here. But... You say you are not dragon-kin? Kobolds are dragon-kin. I am kobold. I am dragon-kin. Dragonwrought. Blood of dragons in me. At this, Tik puffs out his chest and spreads his wings behind him, a look that can only be described as smug plastered on his face.

Spot [roll0]
Sense Motive [roll1]

Cognomen
2013-07-16, 12:49 AM
Insulsus, having followed his companions towards the campfire (shaking his head all the way to try to clear the ringing in his ears), stands blinking at the newly-appeared kobolds. His familiar shrieks wordlessly upon seeing them and he shushes her with one hand. "Shhh, Anxior. It's not polite to screech." The raven settles down a bit and tilts her head at the creatures. "Corn?" "It's not polite to ask for corn, either. Do kobolds eat corn? Must remember to ask our diminutive friend at a more appropriate opportunity."

He watches the exchange between Tik and the new arrivals with a great deal of interest, shifting his gaze back and forth between them as they speak. "Wonder what they're saying? Sounds like Draconic. Wish I'd learned Draconic. Fascinating morphology. Very different from the linguistic structures of Elven, though, obviously."

His eyes rove to Mephisto's illusory double -- "Oh my, wonderful image" -- and then to the bushes from which the kobolds emerged. "Some sort of rhododendron? Not sure which subgenus. Pentanthera? Ericaceae family, if I remember correctly. Very pretty." His eyes light up as he thinks of something. His voice gets a little louder. "Elves like rhododendrons! Especially wild elves. Lovely ears, wild elves. I wonder if these fellows know where there are any elves?" He looks at Tik as if wondering whether to raise his voice and ask directly, but, perhaps miraculously, he doesn't.

Anxior, meanwhile, stays quiet but keeps her beady eyes trained on the kobolds.

Insulsus, despite himself, is trying to pay close attention to the kobolds; Anxior's been watching them closely while he rambles.
Insulsus' Spot check: [roll0]
Anxior's Spot check: [roll1]

Trollololololol
2013-07-16, 11:40 AM
While observing the Kobolds, Tik notices that the mouths are moving rather funny as the twin Kobolds speak. However, before he can point this out, the Kobolds disappear and the real Kobold twins jump out of the bushes.

"You have joined tall ones?" Han growls at Tik. "You are no true Kobold!"

Both Han and Pan ready their weapons as they prepare for battle.

Grimlocked
2013-07-16, 12:20 PM
Mephisto takes a five foot step back away from the twin Kobolds and casts Mage Armor on Dragon.

"I shall now disappear!" he whispers as he hides in a nearby bush.

Hide-[roll0]

DrK
2013-07-16, 03:14 PM
Dragon grins, "A fine pair of dragon pelts... slippers for me" he cackles in accented Draconic goading the little kobolds as he holds the warpike ready to hack them down....

Still standing in punishing stance. Just curious to see if get to attack them or they run in through my AoO's depending on initiative. :smallsmile:

Cognomen
2013-07-16, 03:17 PM
Please disregard if we should be waiting for the initiative rolls before we act... or, for that matter, assume that Insulsus will do the following if he doesn't get run through first.

Insulsus' eyes widen -- "Oh dear!" -- and he scrambles away from the kobolds as fast as he can before casting Mage Armor on himself. The raven jumps off his shoulder and starts circling above, shrieking in alarm.

Move action: 25 ft away from the kobolds.
Standard action: Casting mage armor.

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-07-16, 08:10 PM
Solon had been quiet throughout the first steps of their adventure, unwilling to mingle with these adventurers who make a joke out of anything: Solon found it difficult to be light hearted nowadays.

That was until they saw the two kobolds vanish and the real ones appear from the bush he could not help but raise a smile at the irony. Then his previous dark mood resettled on him and he nervously gripped his weapon as he strode out to join the others.

He held up his hands and spoke slowly to the group, both kobolds and adventurers: "Wait, let's not be hasty. I think we should think about this. We can offer you help."

Solon knew little of diplomacy but he was trying: he didn't fancy meeting his end at the hands of two scrawny lizards.

Diplomacy Roll: [roll0]

DrK
2013-07-16, 10:25 PM
As the wizards vanished into the undergrowth Dragon could only shake his head, Just you and me my little slippers....

He waited patiently for them to make a fatal error hewing them both mightily with the like arm before slipping back under the cover of a Stone Dragon strike designed to focus on being like stone and shrugging off whatever they could do...

If they move to attack me...
AoO 1 [roll0] damage [roll1] plus [roll2]
AoO 2 [roll3] damage [roll4] plus [roll5]

When they reach me I'm AC 12 flatfooted, AC 14 when not.

5 ft step back and Stone Bones
[roll6] damage [roll7] plus [roll8]
And gain DR 5/adamantine for a turn.

SalmonOfDoubt
2013-07-17, 11:44 AM
Tik gulped as the kobolds drew their weapons, rapidly glancing between where they stood now and where their illusory doubles had existed seconds before. He opened his mouth to protest, or to question the magic, or to just say something that might diffuse the situation, but no words came out. So instead, the kobold scampered away, quick as his legs would take him, to stand behind the Dragon. Big, strong, armored-types make good shields.

Tik drew his bow and notched an arrow, waiting to actually fire, or even aim, until someone else made a move.

Move action - some distance to 5 ft. behind Dragon

Standard -> Move - Draw bow

Trollololololol
2013-07-17, 06:07 PM
Tik- 19
You scramble and hide behind your hulking companion, Dragon and prepare your bow.

Han- 16
Han stands quietly as he casts Mage Armor on Pan

Pan- 16
Pan stands quietly as he casts Mage Armor on Han

Mephisto- 15
Mephisto casts Mage Armor on his fierce companion Dragon and does a mediocre job of hiding in the nearby bush. He is somewhat visible, but with all the commotion going on, Mephisto is hidden well enough.

Insulsus- 12
Your Raven flutters off into the air, shrieking loudly to alert everyone of your location. Insulsus casts Mage Armor on himself and is a good distance from the twin Kobolds.

Dragon- 11
Dragon takes a swing at the closest Kobold (in this case Han) and deals a punishing 12 points of damage. The small Kobold tries to regain his balance, and readies himself for another round. After landing the blow, Dragon feels himself suddenly become sturdier...

Solon- 10
Solon tries to speak to the Kobolds, but at this point, the Kobolds have taken a blow and are completely ignoring any attempts at Diplomacy. They are blinded by pure rage.

Begin Round 2.

Cognomen
2013-07-17, 07:53 PM
On Insulsus' next turn, he will fumble for his crossbow -- "Oh dear, moving targets, more difficult, you know" -- and load it (move action), then shoot at the nearest kobold (standard action).

Ranged attack: [roll0]
Damage if he hits: [roll1]

Anxior will just circle above the fray, for the moment.

DrK
2013-07-18, 12:07 AM
Mages... Dragon growled scaly draconic mages... Pursuing the kobolds spinning the poleaxe in a deadly if beautiful arc.

If the kobolds are standing near each other or as is the case at the moment have not moved. I will move in to attack them or if they have not moved or have 5ft stepped into to be closer to me then I'll 5ft step away.

Steel wind against both
attack Han [roll0] Damage [roll1] + [roll2]
attack Pan [roll3] Damage [roll4] + [roll5]

If they are both miles away by my turn or standing far apart so I can't Steel wind them I will
Swft - recover moves
move- go get Pan power attacking for 1
Attack - [roll6] Damage [roll7] + [roll8]

Could we have some sort of map please? Even if its just a google doc spreadsheet with boxes on?
(https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtopfWRRgE6HdFd3a1hXMGE3LVFPaTNYRUJyOUlvc kE#gid=0)

Grimlocked
2013-07-18, 06:35 AM
From his hiding place in the bushes, Mephisto pulls out his Shortbow and fires at Han.

Attack- [roll0]
Damage- [roll1]

After the shot is fired, Mephisto retreats back down into the bush.

Hide- [roll2]

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-07-18, 08:12 AM
With a sigh Solon hefts his weapon and steps up next to Dragon slicing at the nearest of the kobolds to end this fast.

Attack roll [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

SalmonOfDoubt
2013-07-18, 04:05 PM
Tik's eyes widened as Dragon's weapon came down on one of the enemy kobolds, he had already forgotten which was Han and which was Pan. Things were not going as well as he would've liked, as the dragonwrought was now faced with the prickly dilemma of having to fight his brethren. Well, they had started it. Sort of. So Tik scampered further back, away from the fray, and loosed an arrow into the melee, praying that the wooden shaft had some idea of how to distinguish between friend and foe.

Move - 10 ft. straight back
Standard - Fire at the closest kobold (-4 for firing into melee)
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]+[roll2]

Trollololololol
2013-07-18, 05:41 PM
Tik-
You fire your crossbow and the arrow manages to get through the skirmish and clatter into the cave.

Pan-
Pan grips his tiny shortsword and takes a swing at the vicious Dragon

Attack- [roll0]
Damage- [roll1]

Han-
Han waves his arms furiously over his head as he casts Obscuring Mist. He then moves out of the way, making a run for some bushes 10ft to his left.

Mephisto-
Thanks to the Obscuring Mist, Mephisto has a hard time seeing and fires his arrow blindly into the battle. Thankfully, he misses his own companions, but he also misses his opponents. The arrow gets stuck in a tree next to the cave opening.

Insulsus-
Insulsus gets the raven to quiet down and readies an arrow. The arrow is released and sticks to Pan's armor. Unfortunately, it does not penetrate the armor, and Pan is unharmed by the shot.

Dragon-
Because of the Obscuring Mist, Dragon does not realize that Han has made a run for it. He then follows through with his Steel Wind and hits Pan for a total of 7 damage. Dragon can hear the painful yelp come from Pan, signifying that he landed the blow.

Solon-
Solon, able to see through the Obscuring Mist, takes a powerful swing at Pan. The hit connects on Pan, but unfortunately, his Mage Armor has protected enough from the devastating blow.

Begin Round 3 (I will get a Map going now. Sorry for not doing it earlier!)

Trollololololol
2013-07-18, 05:43 PM
Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aps6qRy4Ve3hdGFBQk5ZUkF1MXB2SVJId0xacmpSQ 1E#gid=0)

Grimlocked
2013-07-18, 06:08 PM
Unable to see, Mephisto focuses on hiding in the bush until he can see again.

Hide- [roll0]

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-07-18, 06:19 PM
Solon watched in horror as his blade rebounded from a shimmering field that surrounded the kobold like chainmail. Magic. His heart tightened in his chest as he realised what they were facing, but worse he knew instinctively that his powers, whatever they were, were rising in him to combat the threat. He stumbled back out of reach of the kobold.

A purple nimbus surrounded Solon and his fear became a palpable aura that swept towards the foe they were fighting.

5ft step back to G6. Cast Cause Fear (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/causeFear.htm) on Pan. Will Save DC 14 or be frightened. Otherwise shaken.

SalmonOfDoubt
2013-07-18, 09:35 PM
Tik growled under his breath as the mist began to envelop the battlefield. He didn't like this. Not one bit. He focused his senses, attempting to locate the kobold who had cast the spell with his hearing alone, and then fired another arrow to where he thought it might be.

Listen [roll0]
Attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

DrK
2013-07-19, 12:21 AM
Did Han have to test to cast defensively when casting obscuring mist?
Does he provoke an AoO when he runs - admittedly with concealment!

Grunting in annoyance as the little kobold stabs him he steps back twirling and spinning the sharash in a defensive arc. Focusing himself once more he brings the blade down glancing around to see what aid his companions can offer.

5ft step back
recover manoeuvres expended
Standard power attack [roll0] Damage [roll1] + [roll2]

And the kobold's damage as [roll3] - unless its got a strange 1d20 sword :smallwink:

DrK
2013-07-19, 12:23 AM
Ouch predictably I roll maximum damage against myself!

And I also need a miss chance for the mist [roll0] 1-20% misses

Trollololololol
2013-07-19, 08:29 AM
Tik-
The small Kobold fires an arrow after Han as the crafty Kobold disappears into a bush. Unfortunately, the arrow misses and instead gets lost in the bushes.

Pan-
The aggressive twin makes another attack at Dragon.

Attack- [roll0]
Damage- [roll1]

Han-
Han continues to run from battle, now officially out of the battle.

Mephisto-
The "great" Mephisto hides... albeit not very well...

Insulsus-
Insulsus is distracted by a small beetle that is crawling on the ground...

Dragon-
(Han did not cast defensively, nor was there an AOO provoked... unless you have a 10ft reach) Grunting in annoyance as the little kobold stabs him he steps back twirling and spinning the sharash in a defensive arc. Focusing himself once more he brings the blade down glancing around to see what aid his companions can offer. Dragon deals a painful 12 damage to Pan, almost knocking the Kobold. It is clear that the Kobold is using his last bit of strength at this point.

Solon-
(Pan provokes an AOO from you... feel free to do that) You cast Cause Fear on Pan. He tries to resist the urge to be afraid...

Will Save- [roll2]

Begin Round 4. Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aps6qRy4Ve3hdGFBQk5ZUkF1MXB2SVJId0xacmpSQ 1E#gid=0) will be updated.

OOC-
Han is gone, and Pan is fighting on his last legs. You almost have this fight over with. Just one more hit!

SalmonOfDoubt
2013-07-19, 09:53 AM
A disappointed look briefly crossed Tik's face as he heard the other kobold scurry away. But there was no time for that. Not while another enemy was still here, still kicking. At least, from the sound of things, it was still kicking. That might be a few of his allies scuffling. Better to assume not.

Tik skirted around the melee, trying to open himself up for what would be, in theory, a better shot. Unfortunately, he could still hardly see, so he again had to rely on his ears to locate the remaining foe. He notched an arrow, and quickly fired into the mist.

Move to H5
Attack (-4 for firing into melee) [roll0]
Damage [roll1]+[roll2]

Grimlocked
2013-07-19, 10:47 AM
The "Great" Mephisto spends his turn listening for the remaining Kobold and fires an arrow in that general direction.

Listen- [roll0]

Attack- [roll1]
Damage- [roll2]

Trollololololol
2013-07-19, 11:06 AM
As Solon prepares to cast his spell, Pan takes the opportunity to deal some damage. The little Kobold swings his Shortsword with as much power as he can muster and...

Attack- [roll0]
Damage- [roll1]

...misses!

DrK
2013-07-19, 03:16 PM
Spinning the massive polearm in a wide and brutal arc he steps back to bring the small kobold within the reach of the chopping blade and brings it down with a scything sweep.

5ft step back and attack Pan [roll0] Damage [roll1] + [roll2]

And the 2 AoO from the 1st round
Pan [roll3] Damage [roll4] + [roll5]
Han [roll6] Damage [roll7] + [roll8]

Cognomen
2013-07-19, 09:25 PM
The so easily distracted Insulsus leans over and stares at the beetle for a moment, muttering to himself. "Oo, coleoptera! Or is the singular coleopteron? Marvelous. Look at the lovely coloring on those elytra - and those mandibles, oh my. Stag beetle? Longhorn beetle? Some sort of weevil? No no, think of the allometry of the thing - must be a stag beetle. Probably lives in those trees. Master Volucris used to ramble on endlessly about endopterygota. Got quite tiring, you know. Can't blame her for being interested, though. By the gods, such enviable weapons it has! Oh--" The absent-minded wizard's eyes suddenly get very wide, as his train of thought brings him around to remembering that he's actually in the middle of a battle.

He jerks his head up, looks around rather wildly and loads his crossbow again, but of course he can't see what's happening given the mist. He starts pointing the crossbow in various directions based on sounds, but doesn't fire, unable to distinguish the noise of the enemy kobold from those of the others and afraid of shooting a comrade by mistake.

Forgetting to be properly frightened and wanting to improve his visibility, he darts about ten feet into the fray, in the direction he last saw the hostile creatures. He raises a hand as if about to cast something, then drops it since he still can't see. He glances up at the sky, obviously searching for his familiar. (Of course, Anxior - who is circling above - can't see through the mist any better than anyone else, so that avenue is fruitless.)

At the nearby sound of Mephisto loosing a shot, Insulsus startles and turns in the illusionist's direction, but mercifully stops himself in time from firing on the other mage.

Free action: rambling
Move action: 10 feet straight ahead into square E7
Standard action: loading crossbow

Trollololololol
2013-07-20, 06:49 AM
With one final vicious blow, Dragon knocks Pan unconscious. The small Kobold completes to the ground as his body lay motionless. Behind Pan, a cave seems to be calling to the party...

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-07-20, 08:07 AM
"These kobold creatures made their home here; if we would learn more of them and their fear of us, we should see what's in the cave." Solon's words were compelling, even if they weren't filled with wisdom or insight.

He hefted his sword and nodded to Dragon, hoping that the skilled warrior would lead the way, rather than one of the cowardly mages.

DrK
2013-07-20, 01:06 PM
Dragon looks down at the two wounds on his chest and leg and winces slightly before nodding towards the cave and walking towards the entrance - polearm poised to strike.

As he walk forward he murmurs quietly "Someone search it. It may have items of value"

That said he enters the mouth of the cave..."mages - I need light"

Currently on 8/14 hitpoints.
Does anyone have healing?

Cognomen
2013-07-20, 02:00 PM
From above, Anxior flaps down to settle on Insulsus' shoulder again. The lanky wizard gives the fallen kobold an inquisitive look and bends to examine it. "Fascinating creature. Reptilian, obviously. Wonder what makes the eyes glow? Natural phosphorescence of some kind? Perhaps magical?" He glances up at Tik almost guiltily, as if embarrassed to catch himself musing about the physiology of kobolds in front of a member of that species, then looks at Pan again. "Let's see, what was he carrying? Besides the sword, obviously. You can learn all kinds of things from what people are carrying."

Searching Pan:
Search: [roll0]

Sorry, Insulsus definitely can't heal. Judging by our respective jobs I have a feeling none of us can. We could try Heal checks? But we'd need to rest, and to find healing supplies.

Once Insulsus is done searching the kobold, he will either cast Light on the stone he's carrying if no one else has provided light, or, if the cave is of any size, he'll break out one of his sunrods.

Grimlocked
2013-07-20, 06:21 PM
"And now, I shall make a light... appear!" Mephisto declares with a snap of his fingers.

As soon as his fingers snap, four lights appear around him as he leads the way into the cave. He looks back at Dragon, an apologetic look on his face.

"Sorry, I'm a magician, not a physician."

Trollololololol
2013-07-20, 06:37 PM
While the rest of the party begins to make their way into the cave, Insulsus sits back and checks the Kobold's body for anything of interest. Unfortunately, the Kobold carries nothing more than 3 gold coins and his Shortsword.

With Mephisto leading the way, the rest of the party makes their way into the cave. The cave is rather shallow and makes a quick left turn. After making the quick left turn, they find themselves face to face with the twin Kobolds' horde:

-Slippers of Spider-Walking
-Bracers of Armor +2
-Horn of Tritons
-Potion of Remove Disease
-Potion of Cure Light Wounds
-Potion of Blur
-3800 Gold

DrK
2013-07-21, 10:16 AM
Dragon looks at the piles of treasure a grin on his face. "Greedy little creatures. Like the big lizards that are spawned from I guess..."

After the treasure has been divided up and stowed away he takes a bite to eat and a swig of water. "Shall we find more vile beasts to slay this day?"

Cognomen
2013-07-22, 03:39 AM
Insulsus gathers up the dead kobold's few gold pieces and shortsword and hurries to join the others in the cave, holding out the items he just looted. "Well, chaps, here's all the little fellow seemed to be carrying -- oh!" His eyes widen at the sight of the treasure and he comes to a stop, temporarily speechless, the shortsword dangling from his fingers. Anxior flaps her wings and caws once - ("Corn?") - before pecking at one of the gold pieces Insulsus is holding. Finding it unappetizing, she quiets down.

After a moment, the wizard sets the 3 gp and the sword on top of the pile, to be sorted with the rest. At Dragon's reference to greedy little creatures Insulsus looks vaguely embarrassed, tries not to look at Tik, and starts mumbling under his breath (some sort of disquisition about the hoarding habits of various dragons, judging by the occasional audible word). He wanders around the cave a bit, examining random objects (rock formations, mossy patches, etc) by the light of Mephisto's conjuring.

At the warrior's question, Insulsus seems to focus again. "Vile beasts? Slay? Yes, I suppose that was implicitly part of the Duke's instructions, wasn't it?" He sighs and mutters to himself again. "Not entirely sure I prepared the right spells this morning. But you never know, I mean, really, when someone might need to be rendered elf-sized. Who wouldn't want to be elf-sized?" He sighs again, deeply, then brightens. "Well, far be it from me to keep us from venturing forth in exploration. Lots of important elf explorers, you know. Couldn't look up to them more. My sturdy crossbow is at your disposal!" The wizard hefts said crossbow (it doesn't look very sturdy) and prepares to accompany the party wherever it goes.

Grimlocked
2013-07-22, 05:29 AM
Mephisto coolly led the party through the shallow cave, and froze at the sight of the mountain of treasure.

"Oh... my... Pelor."

Mephisto grabbed the Slippers of Spider-Walking and turned to the group with a smile.

"I don't think anyone would mind if I take these... right?"

As Dragon asked about slaying more creatures, Mephisto partially wanted to enjoy the loot before running back out into combat, but pushed away those desires.

"I am definitely interested in getting some more treasure! But... where are we going to put all this?"

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-07-22, 07:40 AM
Solon stoops and picks up the curving conch horn and weighs it in his hands. It reminds him of the sea, and clearly it held value to these kobolds which indicated to Solon that it likely had magical properties. It was not what he had been searching for, but something that reminded him of the happy times in his past was not unwelcome.

"We are only just beginning, Dragon," Solon spoke slowly: "Let us continue."

DrK
2013-07-22, 04:04 PM
Slipping the Potion of Blur into his belt pouch he uncorked and drained the curative potion - the familiar cool minty fresh aroma of the cure one wafting into his nose before he drank it down.

Cure light [roll0]

Dragon turned round to the others a predatory grin on his face "Lets continue the hunt shall we..." And motioning to the cave exit he glances at the wide island awaiting them.

How else are we splitting the treasure - Which mage would like the Bracers Armour +2?

Is there 5 players? So ~740g each.

Trollololololol
2013-07-23, 12:07 AM
The party makes their way out of the cave, only to see that it is beginning to get dark outside. Perhaps they can set up camp in the small cave? Or perhaps the party would like to try to trek onto the mountain that's just a short distance away?

Cognomen
2013-07-23, 05:21 AM
Insulsus picks up the bracers, relieved to see something no one else seems to want which might improve his defenses a bit. After the division of loot he follows the others to the mouth of the cave. Upon seeing the encroaching darkness, he makes a hmming noise.

"Hadn't realized it had gotten this late. Far be it from me to discourage us all in our quest" -- he hefts the crossbow again as if to demonstrate his enthusiasm -- "but, after all, perhaps we should take this opportunity to camp and rest? Very good for waking up refreshed, resting. Plus I could prepare rather more useful spells in the morning, you know. And can any of us see in the dark? Elves can see in low light. Wish I could. Not fair. Don't even have good eyes." He sighs and then speaks up. "My point being, we could also save our respective lighting devices for any further caves we might encounter?"

~740 sounds right. Don't forget Pan's 3 gp and shortsword (assuming anybody wants it or wants to carry it in the hope of selling it)...

DrK
2013-07-23, 07:13 AM
Dragon looks around and the nods. we can sleep upon the hoard

rest then mountain in morning

Grimlocked
2013-07-23, 09:52 AM
Mephisto looks at the hoard and sighs.

"That really doesn't look like a comfortable bed..."

Mephisto finds a secluded spot in the corner to sleep, and wishes his companions a good night. He looks over at Insulsus before going to sleep.

"My fellow magician, I will gladly take that Shortsword. Perhaps I can use it for a sword-swallowing trick..."

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-07-23, 10:32 AM
Solon settles into one corner, still intrigued by his recent acquisition. "Perhaps someone should stay and watch? Just in case."

Actually 760gp, with 3 left over. Since Tik didn't get anything he could take the last potion and the extra 3 gp :smallwink:

Cognomen
2013-07-23, 11:58 AM
Insulsus cheerfully hands the shortsword to Mephisto, obviously happy that someone might find it useful. "Sword swallowing! I would love to see that trick when you next perform it. I've never seen anyone swallow a sword! Sounds rather painful? All those sharp edges. Impressive! Must take a great deal of skill, that. Wonder how it's done? Probably impolite to ask."

He finds a dip in the cave wall and bunks down. Anxior hops off his shoulder to walk around awkwardly on the ground, pecking at interesting pebbles and periodically asking for corn until Insulsus shushes her. He pulls out a set of rations and gives her a piece of bread. At Solon's question he looks up brightly. "I can take first watch! It will give me time to consider all the interesting things that have happened to us today. So many interesting things! All those teeth. No elves, though. But I suppose they can't be everywhere."

The raven finishes eating and tucks her head under one wing for the night. The wizard quiets his voice to a low mumble as he eats, then manages to shut up, temporarily settling himself at the cave entrance for first watch, his loaded crossbow across his knees. He looks at the stars (sometimes muttering under his breath about an interesting constellation), or pulls out his bloodstone pebble and looks at it in the moonlight, or examines his new bracers, or scribbles diagrams and words and crude pictures of elves and kobolds and bugbears in the dirt with a stick as he keeps watch for the next several hours.

Trollololololol
2013-07-23, 03:47 PM
The sun creeps into the cave the next day, waking up the party. Everyone is well rested. In the near distance, a mountain stands, a tall natural monument of this beautiful island.

One step outside reveals the beautiful landscape that was missed the day before due to the battle with the twin Kobolds. Pink and orange flowers line a dirt path from the cave, with ivy dangling from the tree limbs. Small critters dart across the path and scurry up a nearby tree. The soft breeze seems to whisper that you are living in a paradise of sorts.

As much as anyone would love this breath-taking scenery, the mountain still stands, reminding the party that they do not have time to stop and smell the roses...

DrK
2013-07-23, 05:01 PM
Refreshed from a nights sleep he stops to pluck a couple of flowers before gesturing with his pole axe. onwards and upwards.

Grimlocked
2013-07-23, 06:44 PM
Mephisto awoke to the beautiful scene and felt a tear fall from his eye.

"This has to be... the most glorious thing I have ever seen!" Mephisto declared, hands stretched high over his head as he ran through the flowers, smashing more than his fair share as he ran towards the mountain.

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-07-24, 12:43 PM
Solon could take no pleasure in the beauty of the landscape: one touch was all it would take to turn all of this to ash, and thus Solon tried to keep to the rockier paths, just in case his powers went out of control.

He took the lead and headed towards the mountain, hoping to use it to give them a clearer view of the surroundings, though heedless of the danger of being the first.

Trollololololol
2013-07-24, 01:46 PM
After journeying for a short while, you finally make it to the base of the mountain. The mountain is much taller than you anticipated, forcing to tilt your head all the way back to be able to see. To your left, a river runs peacefully. A fish jumps out of the water, then disappears back into the water. To your right, a dense forest.

Grimlocked
2013-07-24, 01:53 PM
Mephisto looked at the options before him. Either climb up a dangerously steep mountain, go through a dark and dense forest, or go to a peaceful river...

"My vote is for the river!"

DrK
2013-07-24, 02:09 PM
Dragon looks suspiciously at the river. "How well do swim Master Mephisto?" but he gazes cautiously around. "Maybe a alk up the river bank would be pleseant?" - while thinking - I'll make sure I'm not the closest to the bank there.

Hefting the poleaxe in a more fighty grip he gestures the mage to lead on, cautiously making sure to remain at least 20ft or so from edge of the river bank lest something scaly and tentacled jump out.

Trollololololol
2013-07-24, 02:49 PM
As the party approaches the peaceful river, an Elf is sitting along the bank... feet in the cool water.

MintyNinja
2013-07-24, 04:07 PM
The elf looks up as the strange party approaches. "Good morning, there. My name is Jakrilium Aleato. Please, call me Jak." He scoops some of the stream water and runs it over his scalp. His bow and equipment rested behind him, within reach but untouched.

DrK
2013-07-24, 04:13 PM
Dragon pauses a good 20ft away and gives a short nod to the elf. "I am called Dragon by many. Soon to be all. What brings you from the safe confines of Bott City to a deserted stream?"

Glancing around at the mages and the kobold scout he smiles slightly, "We have already encountered some foes and are hoping to find some more. Have you seen anything large and dangerous?"

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-07-24, 04:17 PM
Solon scowled; he had been hoping that they could avoid mention of the city after it had so angered the kobolds: then again, they could probably take this elf before he even drew his weapons. Well, hopefully they could.

"And I am Solon," the half Sea Kin added, his pointed features and ink black eyes giving him a rather weird appearance.

MintyNinja
2013-07-24, 04:43 PM
"Well met, Dragon. And you, Solon," the elf replies to each in turn. He pulled his feet out of the stream and began pulling his boots back on. "A long stroll in the wilderness is often the cure for the anxieties of a city life. I have not seen many other creatures, nor have I been seen. And no, nothing large and dangerous has crossed my path."

Grimlocked
2013-07-24, 05:29 PM
Mephisto looks at the Elf with a look of Skepticism. How did he get here undetected? Amidst his skepticism, Mephisto walked to the Elf, Jak, and reached behind his ear. He quickly drew back his hand and revealed a gold coin.

"My name is the Great Mephisto! But... you may call me Mephisto."

Sleight of Hand (for trick)- [roll0]

"Now if you're going to be joining us, how about you tell us a little bit about yourself..."

MintyNinja
2013-07-24, 05:48 PM
"Well met, Mephisto," Jak replies as he considers his response. "If you feel another set of hands will aid you, then I would gladly join you. I've stopped over in the city but I have no pressing engagements to return to. I'm a bit of a... traveler. Plenty of long voyages. I take it you're a magician?" He pulls his second boot on by the end of this and retrieves his pack, scabbard, and bow from the ground. He sets a quiver on one hip and his rapier on the other, both within reach of his hand.

Grimlocked
2013-07-24, 06:03 PM
"I prefer illusionist... but it's okay. Common mistake."

Mephisto takes a moment to fill his waterskin with the river water and takes a quick drink. He looks up the quiet river, then looks back at the party.

"What do you think, Dragon? Are we ready?"

Cognomen
2013-07-24, 10:10 PM
Insulsus has been walking happily along, enjoying the beautiful view and the flowers, a dozen of which he's picked along the way (while, of course, discoursing about petals, magniophyta, sporangia, parthenocarpy, his botany teacher, the climate, the local geography, and so on - with, also of course, various references to elves; thankfully, he's kept the volume low). Anxior alternates between soaring above to keep an eye on things, and landing to walk awkwardly among the greenery, pecking at insects.

Insulsus seems pleased at the suggestion to head towards the river, and is about to launch into a dissertation on the island's probable hydrological cycle when he sees the newcomer. At the sight of an elf, his eyes go very wide and his jaw falls open for a few seconds before he can control himself enough to close his mouth. "An elf, an elf!" can be heard drifting down from above before Anxior lands on the mage's shoulder.

Insulsus, meanwhile, is struck dumb, unable to look away from Jak as introductions are exchanged, a look of almost transcendent delight on his face. After a minute he suddenly turns red with embarrassment and claps his hands over his ears. "Ears!" he hisses to himself in a desperate tone. "Cursed human auricles!"

After a moment he regains some composure and pulls his hands off his (tragically human) ears. He waits until Mephisto has introduced himself, then eagerly speaks to Jak in perfect Elven. "Welcome! Oh my, so very welcome! Insulsus Auris, transmuter, at your service. Oh my. An elf! I wasn't sure we'd be lucky enough to encounter a member of your noble people on this island. Are you from the area? Jak - what an interesting name! Is it short for something...? Oh, but I don't mean to be rude."

At this point Insulsus seems to remember that speaking in non-Common languages in front of people who don't necessarily understand them is rude - and perhaps that bombarding new acquaintances with questions is also rude - and reddens again before switching back to Common. "Oh, dear me, I do ramble, I apologize."

He looks around at everyone sheepishly, obviously making a conscious effort not to keep staring at Jak. "Um. Yes. The river, yes. Very interesting river. We should probably explore it, yes. No?"

MintyNinja
2013-07-24, 10:16 PM
Finally turning to the strange human that had been staring, Jak is pleased to know the man is not hateful towards him. He only says "Well met, Insulsus," in elven and then continues in common. "Indeed, Jakrilium Aleato, at your service. I have made my way to this island thanks to my work, I admit. It has been a long time since I have seen another elf, and longer still since I have left my people." By now he has all his gear picked up and packed and also awaits Dragon's guidance on what to do next.

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-07-25, 04:32 AM
Having made their introductions, Solon gestured to the riverbank and asked: "Master Jakrim: do you know much of these parts? Is this river safe? I suggest we continue along here, and use the river to guide us. If one of us gets lost then return to the riverbank and we will likely find one another. I can swim in the river and watch out for anything interesting below the waterline."

MintyNinja
2013-07-25, 10:57 AM
"I'll readily admit that I don't know much about these parts. My first time out here, you see. And I haven't often been in such natural settings. Where is it you wish to go that you need a guide?"

Trollololololol
2013-07-25, 05:12 PM
Led by Solon (and still in conversation), the party starts heading down the river. It begins peaceful, but after a short distance, the current picks up.

(Those in water should probably roll a swim check here)

A thick mist begins to obscure everyone's vision as the roaring of the water grows louder... and louder...

Edit: I also forgot... everyone gains a level. Congrats! :smallbiggrin:

Grimlocked
2013-07-25, 05:20 PM
As Mephisto follows along the river, he shrugs at Jak's question.

"I wouldn't say we're looking for anything in particular. I suppose great riches would be nice. Would you happen to know where we could find that?"

As he asked the question, the party made their way into a dense fog. Worried by the sound of the rushing water, Mephisto stops and listens for anything useful.

Listen- [roll0]

MintyNinja
2013-07-25, 07:22 PM
"As far as I'm aware," Jak says as he walks with the group, "great riches are often found in cities." He strains his senses so as to not be taken off guard by anything in the mist or approaching under the sound of the river.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

DrK
2013-07-25, 08:07 PM
Dragon nodded to the elf, Welcome to the party. Let's see if we can find some prey. The easy walk up the river left him uneasy, even more so when the sealkin slipped into the water.

As the mist rolled in he held up the pole ace turning in a slow circle on edge and ready for action.

ready to attack something that leaps out at me.

Trollololololol
2013-07-25, 11:13 PM
The party continues through the mist, trying to find their way through. It's quiet... eerily quiet. A snap of a branch draws everyone's attention, but nothing seems to be popping out.

After walking a few more steps, they hear soft moans, whispers even. Everyone freezes and prepares for the worst. After a few seconds of silence...

A Grimlock pops out of the mist, ready for combat!

(Round 1 begins. I will roll initiatives. Post your turn now)

Also... roll Listen checks.

Trollololololol
2013-07-25, 11:16 PM
Here is your (crude) Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aps6qRy4Ve3hdFpQSnloWS1iVFF6elZELVByT0dvZ FE#gid=0)

Grimlocked
2013-07-25, 11:41 PM
Mephisto does not see the Grimlock at first and upon approaching Dragon will go into the bush at B9. That is when he sees the Grimlock. He hides with a...

Hide check-[roll0]

Then Mephisto will cast Ghost Sound from the bush at C5. (Will Save 15)

MintyNinja
2013-07-25, 11:49 PM
Jak hears the sounds of something moving within the mist, but he can't seem to get line of sight on it. Exercising caution, he steps away from the river and readies an attack on the first enemy to come up unto the bank.

Due to my misunderstanding, new post.

Moving to the bushes at F7 quietly:
Move silently: [roll0]

Listen Check: 28 (crit) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15695399&postcount=36)

Readied action to fire at any enemies on this side of the river bank.

Cognomen
2013-07-26, 01:24 AM
Insulsus mutters worriedly as the fog rises, an unpleasant reminder of his confusion during the encounter with the kobolds. He glances at Anxior and she launches off his shoulder, into the sky, presumably to try to see from above. For a few seconds he looks up after her, getting visual impressions of the area of the fog from her telepathically, and then he makes a fretful noise and stops in his tracks. "Oh dear. Doesn't look natural. Not natural at all."

He hears some of the noises, but, of course, he can't see any further than the bank and a small bit of the water. He does notice Jak slipping away and looks briefly after the elf before ringing his hands and chewing his lip. "Fire. Fire might dispel it. But..." He trails off, finally realizing he should probably be quiet, and wishing he remembered where he'd last seen the others.

After a few more seconds, he moves his hands and mumbles something, casting Mage Armor on himself.

I'm not entirely sure at what exact point (relative to this post's internal chronology) the round started. IF he has time this round, Insulsus will follow Jak, duck behind the tree in F8, and cast Mage Armor on the elf (or, at least, go to F8 and duck behind the tree). If there's no time for any of that, he stays where he is in E10.

Insulsus' Listen check: [roll0]
Anxior's Listen check: [roll1]

DrK
2013-07-27, 12:47 AM
Dragon steps back looking up in surprise as the grimlock pounces. Sloping the Sharassh he lashes out with a brutal right hook before dashing to the right and hopping over the water...

"Monsters lads. Its just over here!"

Swift: enter punishing stance
Standard: Douse the flames - [roll0] damage [roll1] plus [roll2] if hit target can't make AoO
Move: Move to E11 jumping [roll3] the river. Hoping that the difficult terrain will slow the grimlock and let me get my AoO next turn. Tumble if required by missing the attack [roll4]

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-07-27, 09:45 AM
Solon rises from the shallows, water streaming from his clothes unheeded and he steps back onto the far bank, his fear already rising in him, and bringing with t the resultant wash of dark magic. He raised a hand and a black bolt struck the grimlock and drained its strength.

5ft step to E8. Cast Ray of Enfeeblement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/rayOfEnfeeblement.htm).

Ranged Touch attack: [roll0]
Strength drain: [roll1]

Listen Check [roll2]

Cognomen
2013-07-27, 10:50 AM
I am not exactly sure where Insulsus is, or where the Grimlock is, but I have to head out for the day and will have no wifi, so I'm posting now. Please feel free to change any of this. Since I wasn't sure about the last post, I'm assuming Insulsus is still in square E10. I'm also assuming that -2 listen will have deafened him again.

Trollolololol, I'm also not sure if Burning Hands will do anything about the Obscuring Mist and I figure Insulsus would probably (?) know, given his skill points in arcana, but, well, trying for it!

Insulsus clamps his hands over his years, this time with no thought of their embarrassing squareness, and grimaces. Luckily the telepathic link with Anxior provides a little bit of hearing - just enough for him to hear Dragon's shouting. The mage sees Dragon come up onto the bank next to him, thinks about the direction Jak went in, then sprints about 10 feet south, away from the sounds he'd heard on the other bank. Facing southwest, the direction he thinks it most likely his companions are not in, he hesitates for a second, lifts one hand, puts the other in his component pouch, and mutters an incantation. Fire burst from his fingertips and into the mist in a cone-shaped spread.

Move action: 10 feet to E12
Standard action: Casting Burning Hands in a 15 ft cone spreading southwest. Anything in the area takes [roll0] of damage (unless making a save, Reflex half). Flammable materials will catch fire but can be put out with a full-round action.

Basically, I'm hoping the spell will act like Flame Arrow and other fire spells that can dispel Obscuring Mist.

Trollololololol
2013-07-27, 04:21 PM
Solon- 11
Solon steps back from the Grimlock and tries to cast Ray of Enfeeblement. As he goes to cast the spell, a bird poops onto his head, sending the vicious fighter to the ground (you are now prone). Unfortunately, his spell never went off.

Dragon- 10
Dragon takes a powerful swing at the Grimlock, but just misses as he is focused on getting away from the creature. After the near miss, Dragon jumps over the river, just barely making the jump to the other side!

Insulsus- 9
Insulsus jumps behind Dragon and casts Burning Hands in hopes of clearing up the fog. The spell is successful in clearing out the fog, but unfortunately, it does not clear the area surrounding the Grimlock. (The Obscuring Mist is not cleared from row 12 and up) No results from the Listen check.

Grimlock- 5
The Grimlock runs up to Mephisto and takes a hard swing with its Battleaxe. The axe misses the magician (with an 11), leaving the Grimlock open to an attack!

Jak- 4
Jak makes a run for a nearby bush and dives into the bush for hiding. The Grimlock is busy fighting Mephisto, so he manages to get in undetected. He does, however, hear the quiet laughter of a Kobold fading away...

Mephisto- 2
After dodging the Grimlock's terrifying attack, Mephisto hurriedly casts Ghost Sound at a random location behind the Grimlock. The Grimlock takes the opportunity to make another attack, but misses (with a 10).

The Grimlock hears the sound from C5 and tries to determine if its worth paying attention to.

Will Save: [roll0]

End of Round 1- Updated Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aps6qRy4Ve3hdFpQSnloWS1iVFF6elZELVByT0dvZ FE#gid=0)

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-07-27, 04:38 PM
Solon, embarrassed by his sudden surprise, attempts to make up for this failing, and stands back up, once more using his dark magic against the Grimlock.

Move action: stand up
Cast Ray of Enfeeblement. Ranged Touch attack: [roll0]
Strength penalty: [roll1]

MintyNinja
2013-07-27, 07:56 PM
Noticing his new ally, Solon, is right next to him, Jak whispers, "There's a Kobold about. Keep your eyes and ears ready." His message delivered, Jak attempts to move into the bushes to the north, still wary of ambush and keeping an arrow set for the first enemy to come into view.

Move to F5.
Move Silently [roll0]
Hide [roll1]
Listen [roll2]
Spot [roll3]

Readied action to fire at the first thing that comes into view that is not a part of this party.

DrK
2013-07-28, 03:30 PM
Dragon waits listening to the sounds of violence and carnage in the thick fog. "Group together, Come to the sound of my voice and we will be stronger in a group."

That said he swivels slowly in the mist watching for things to come out of the mist...

Move action: Shout
standard: ready an action to hit something that's not an ally

Grimlocked
2013-07-28, 03:48 PM
Editing move for Dragon's shout.

After casting Ghost Sound, Mephisto can only hope that his spell has distracted the Grimlock enough to make an exit. The lanky magician tries to move quietly through the river and make his way to Dragon, moving to E10.

Move Silently: [roll0]

Upon reaching Dragon, he will inform his nearby companions that he has managed to draw the Grimlock away from the party.

Trollololololol
2013-07-28, 03:58 PM
Solon:
Solon fires his Ray of Enfeeblement blindly into the fog. After hearing different noises, he tries to determine where the Grimlock is and launches the ray. Surprisingly, the attack lands and deals a total of 3 points of Strength damage!

Dragon:
Dragon lets out a yell to the rest of the party to regroup.

Insulsus:
Seeing he is protected by Dragon, Insulsus takes a moment to catch his breath.

Grimlock:
The Grimlock hears a mysterious noise coming from behind him. The creature backs away from Mephisto and madly charges after the noise. After getting to where he was determined the noise was, the Grimlock looks around for the source of the noise, determined to rip it apart.

(Mephisto gets an attack of opportunity)

Jak:
After hearing the laughter of a Kobold, Jak relays the information to nearby ally Solon and readies himself for an attack.

Mephisto:
After watching the Grimlock disappear, Mephisto tries to quietly make his way across the river to Dragon. He makes some quiet splashes, but manages to get across without drawing the attention of the Grimlock. When he gets close to his allies, Mephisto quietly informs them that the Grimlock is distracted and drawn away from the party.

End of Round 2. Updated Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aps6qRy4Ve3hdFpQSnloWS1iVFF6elZELVByT0dvZ FE#gid=0)

Cognomen
2013-07-28, 08:35 PM
Insulsus mumbles what might be an Elven curse under his breath as he watches the fog clear only slightly, and not in any helpful direction. As Dragon appears dripping out of the water next to him, the wizard starts in surprise but quickly looks relieved. He spends a moment catching his breath and looking up, presumably communicating telepathically with Anxior, who is still circling above the fog (unable to see into it).

When he hears Mephisto on the other side of Dragon saying that the Grimlock is distracted, Insulsus nods to himself, then sprints in the direction he last saw Jak go, up past the warrior and the other magician. He nearly stops next to Mephisto, then sees the dripping-wet sea-kin appear out of the mist next to him by the bank. He exclaims in as quiet a voice as he can muster while he continues on just past the necromancer. "Oh! Solon! Good. Might've burned you by accident! Let's see, Jak went that way, don't want to burn him..." With that, Insulsus faces west towards the river, spreads out his hand, and mutters the same incantation as before. Fire bursts from his fingers.

Free action: Speaking.
Move action: 25 feet to E7
Standard action: Casting Burning Hands in a 15' cone spreading west. Any creatures take [roll0] damage and, as before, flammable things would probably catch fire. Saving throw: reflex half. SR yes.

Also, I forgot in round one that Anxior is still trying to listen and spot! Her checks:
Spot: [roll2]

Grimlocked
2013-07-28, 08:49 PM
Determined to cause confusion to the Grimlock, Mephisto casts Ghost Sound away from the Grimlock again back to where he was originally.

Cast Ghost Sound at C10

After casting the spell, Mephisto heads up the river following the rest of the party.

MintyNinja
2013-07-28, 08:57 PM
With the enemy in sight, Jak stays in his bushes but fires two rapid arrows at the creature across the river.

Full Round Action:
Rapid Shot
Arrow 1 [roll0] Dealing [roll1] Damage.
Arrow 2 [roll2] Dealing [roll3] Damage.

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-07-29, 07:09 AM
Despite being in the midst of combat, Solon managed to smile: he felt as though he was beginning to gain control over his powers. For the first time he delved down and tried to actively draw on them to unleash a full wave of dark magic, but as he reached into the seething pit, to his horror, he felt the power flow out, against his will and surge outwards.

Solon watched in horror as the dark magic fell into the ground at the Grimlock's feet. For a second, nothing happened and then the earth stirred as a small, putrefied corpse marched from the earth, carrying old weapons that glinted with a fell light. Solon watched, amazed as the zombie kobold turned to the grimlock and began to fight it.

Cast Summon Undead 1. Summon Zombie Kobold in C7

AC: 13, 16 HP

Spear [roll]1d20+1[roll]
Damage [roll0]

DrK
2013-07-29, 04:06 PM
Back to back with a couple of the others Dragon waits patiently - breathing quietly as he considers his options. He didn't like the mist, and like the undead even less. Especially when he couldn't see him.

Clutching the sharash he readied and waited...

Ready to attack if the bad guy appears out the fog or attacks an ally (10ft reach)

- Attack [roll0] damage [roll1] + [roll2] Miss 01-20 [roll3]

Trollololololol
2013-07-29, 05:08 PM
Solon-
The zombie Kobold rises next to the Grimlock and takes a poke with its tiny Spear. The Spear deals a total of 5 damage.

Insulsus-
The wannabe Elf makes a rush past the rest of his party and holds out his hands. Bright flames burst from his fingers, clearing up the fog and bringing the Grimlock into clear view. The flame hits both the Grimlock and the Kobold zombie and deals a total of 4 damage.

Dragon- (delayed until after Insulsus)
The beast of a man moves directly across the river from the Grimlock and, using his great length, hits the Grimlock for a total of 10 damage. The Grimlock lets out a painful groan as it crumples to the floor.

Battle Finished.

Any remaining Mist quickly evaporates, leaving the party with a Kobold zombie on the other side of the river. Up ahead, a small plume of smoke stretches up to the sky.

MintyNinja
2013-07-29, 10:53 PM
Jak sticks his head out of the brush as the mist evaporates. "Terribly sorry about not being able to help, I couldn't see anything until it was too late. If you'll permit me to make up for it by scouting ahead, I'd gladly do so." If no one has any comments or complaints, Jak will move ahead of the group, doing his best to remain unnoticed. He intends to get a look at the source of the smoke and report back to the group before they reach it.

Move Silently [roll0]
Hide [roll1]

Spot [roll2]
Listen [roll3]

Trollololololol
2013-07-30, 02:43 PM
Jak makes his way a good distance from the group, but cannot seem to find the source of the smoke. Whatever made that smoke is gone...

Regardless, Jak rejoins the party and the party is sitting along the peaceful river. It is still early afternoon out, so there is plenty of daylight to burn. As they discuss their next move, they hear grumbling coming from behind a nearby bush.

DrK
2013-07-30, 03:26 PM
Dragon looks at the body of the grimlock and grumbles. Reaching down he hefts the axe and ties it to his waist as a handy back up - "Best to have a back up if the fog comes back".

Looking around at the bush he drops back into his fighting stance poleaxe held ready. "What now eh?"

al'Lan Mandrag
2013-07-30, 06:13 PM
Solon doesn't take in the others' conversation, too busy staring at the broken body of the kobold he had raised: he had done it, not just his magic but the fact that he had willingly drawn on them. And this is what it had done, again. He shivered before turning back to the group and muttering: "Let's get away from here, I don't want to get trapped in these mists again."

Cognomen
2013-07-30, 09:26 PM
Insulsus, while the party waits for Jak to come back, crosses the river briefly to examine the grimlock's body. ("Such white eyes. Never seen such white eyes, even on the corpses in anatomy class. Is it blind? Oooh, yes, definitely blind. But then how can it see? Typically if something is blind it can't see. Fascinating!") Anxior walks around near him, occasionally cawing something like "lotsa monsters!" or "corn!".

Might as well search the body, since Insulsus is interested in everything:
Search: [roll0]

After a little while the wizard splashes cheerfully back across the water and sits on the bank with the others, participating enthusiastically in the chatting as the party rests and waits. He seems unfazed by the zombie kobold - if anything, he's interested in it and in Solon's powers; he tries asking a question or two before realizing that the sea-kin doesn't want to speak and leaving him alone. He admires Dragon's combat skills and Mephisto's illusions at some length ("Never learned much illusion magic other than basic self-disguise! Ears, you know. Embarrassing things. Do you think you could show me a few tricks, my good man? Seems very useful!").

When Jak comes back Insulsus brightens up even more. He listens eagerly to the elf's report and is clearly about to barrage the fellow with questions when the noise comes from the bush. The wizard turns towards it in alarm. "Oh! Something else! Could it be the kobold? It's probably not another elf, is it. Drat our luck." Anxior flaps up into the sky to try to get a look at whatever is making the noise.

MintyNinja
2013-08-02, 08:59 PM
Jak notices the noise and once again, draws an arrow as he strains to understand what's hiding from them.

Spot: [roll0]