PDA

View Full Version : Brick

Jack_Banzai
2006-12-09, 02:58 PM
Brick is a film starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt (of 3rd Rock from the Sun fame, among other stuff) as a tough but brilliant teenage sleuth investigating the murder of his ex-girlfriend against the backdrop of a noirish, disturbingly violent and bleak high school setting. Unusual? Yes. This ain't Veronica Mars.

Hard boiled to almost ridiculous depths, Brendan Frye (Gordon-Levitt) gets involved with the shady underworld of drug rings within his town. The dialogue is terse and punchy, a throwback to Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler, and like Chandler's hero, Philip Marlowe, Frye trades quips as often as he trades punches with the sleazebags that inhabit his world. Soon Frye is involved with multiple murders, a possibly insoluble mystery, and the time-honored tradition of playing his enemies off on one another while keeping his own skin intact.

Just about the best new movie I've seen in years. Yes, that includes Serenity.

Xerillum
2006-12-09, 04:13 PM
Hm, I thought you were talking about Brick from office space.

Om
2006-12-09, 04:36 PM
I've actually heard good reviews of this when it came out a few weeks/months ago. I'm slightly sorry I missed it now.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-12-09, 05:37 PM
Only thing I know about it is it was filmed in the town I used to live in, where all my friends and girlfriend live and taped heavily at the highschool my girlfriend goes to...So yeah, that makes me feel very disjointedly cool.

Grey Knight
2006-12-09, 07:05 PM
I came to this thread expecting a Father Ted reference. :smallfrown:

Ian.of.Donald
2006-12-10, 12:29 AM
Only thing I know about it is it was filmed in the town I used to live in, where all my friends and girlfriend live and taped heavily at the highschool my girlfriend goes to...So yeah, that makes me feel very disjointedly cool.

Krim, You are cool, jointedly cool...

yeah, I watched this one and I gotta say, I was a little leery at first, it being a high school film noir murder mystery (it still makes me kinda sick saying it, even now) but it was really good. The acting was top notch - at least the main characters - the dialogue was witty and smart, yet hinted at the hip words these kids are using now-a-days.:smallbiggrin:
Anyhow, 7/10

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-12-10, 12:57 AM
Krim, You are cool, jointedly cool...
Sweet, I claim this for my sig.

Om
2006-12-10, 09:55 AM
I came to this thread expecting a Father Ted reference. :smallfrown:Ted! You forgot your brick!

Amotis
2006-12-10, 03:21 PM
I thought you ment Brick from Anchorman...

Fat Daddy
2006-12-11, 03:44 AM
I actually got this from netflix a few weeks ago. I was very surprised at how good it was. I was cautiously optimistic based on the previews but this film really scored high. I thought the dialogue was great and the story had a lot of twists and turns, some predictable, some not so much. So I give it a thumbs up and put it on "Fat Daddy's Movie Recommendation List". Or at least I would if I had such a list...

Tom_Violence
2006-12-11, 07:13 PM
Is that the one that's got loads of references to 30s slang or somesuch in it? Always wanted to see that, even if it was touted as 'The New Donnie Darko'.

However, I am also disappointed at the lack of info in this thread about how Brick Enlivens Dull Floor.

nifty>>virago<<
2006-12-11, 07:16 PM
never even heard of it... :(

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-12-11, 07:19 PM
I liked it alot, my only complaint was that i kinda disliked the ending, it was still a good ending, but i would have (maybe) done it differently, but mainly because I thought the red head girl was well played/a good fit for the guy, i forget names

Jack_Banzai
2006-12-17, 11:01 AM
I liked it alot, my only complaint was that i kinda disliked the ending, it was still a good ending, but i would have (maybe) done it differently, but mainly because I thought the red head girl was well played/a good fit for the guy, i forget names

That's kind of the point, you know. If you go read any old Marlowe book, a lot of the time your favorite character (besides Marlowe, of course) is either damnably dirty or the culprit all along. Just shows to go you - charm does not equal innocence.

Gerrtt
2006-12-18, 01:27 PM
I thought you ment Brick from Anchorman...

Seconded. Huzzah!

Archonic Energy
2006-12-18, 01:54 PM
I came to this thread expecting a Father Ted reference. :smallfrown:

I LOVE MY BRICK.

slipnslide
2006-12-21, 03:30 PM
i thought this movie was great. had to really be ready for it and paying attention. my girlfriend didnt love it though.