PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder race-Elorians-P.E.A.C.H.

Philemonite
2013-07-13, 12:37 PM
This is the basis for a race I'm making (actually converting, long story).
I will make some more modification, I just need playground's opinion.
I wrote a very long fluff about the race, but my browser crashed, so that will have to wait.

Physical Description:
Their physical appearance is identical to humans.

Society:
Elorian society is based on a very strict, militaristic organization. They are divided in six bloodlines, named after their founders(Aseton, Denestra, Gwendolin, Waden, Quayla, Oleon). Head of each bloodline is a Grand Champion of Elora. Every Grand Champion has six subordinates who bare the title of Champion. Other titles in descending order are: General, Commander, Aspirant and Initiate. Elorians that have not joined the rank of Initiates are called Fledgling. Their primary goal is destruction of undead and protection of innocents. Those above the rank of Initiate are rarely seen traveling as a group. Instead, they offer their services to adventurers.

Relations:
While adventuring Elorians get along with most races. They respect Aasimar for their divine heritage and they rarely trust Tiefling. They find most other races interesting and like spending time studying and comparing their behavior.

Alignment and Religion:
Most Elorians are (Neutral) Good. There are no evil Elorians. All Elorians revere Elora as their mother, but they also worship other gods of Good and Neutral alignment.

As undead destroyers and dedicated healers Elorians are usually Paladins, Clerics, Oracles and Inquisitors. Bards, Druids and Rangers are also common among Elorians.

Racial Traits

+2 Wisdom, Elorians are devoted followers of Elora
+2 for one ability of your choice, every Elorian is trained in something different to make sure there is diversity
Elorians have a base speed of 30 feet
Elorians are Medium creatures and thus receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size
Elorians begin play speaking Common and Elorian. Elorians with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Auran, Aquan, Celestial, Elven, Ignan, Terran and Sylvan
Skilled: Elorians have a +2 racial bonus on Heal checks, Heal is always a class skill
Healing Mastery: Any cure spell cast by an Elorian has it's cap removed.(Cure Light Wounds cast by level 10 Elorian will heal 1d8+10, instead 1d8+5)
Undead Slayer: Any cure spell cast by Elorian deals +1/caster level damage to undead
Blessing of Elora: Necrotic resistance 5

Every bloodline also has a little trick of their own.

Aseton Bloodline
Aseton's Gift: Proficiency with Warhammer and Flail
+2 Strength, -2 Intelligence

Denestra Bloodline
Denestra's Gift: +2 bonus on Perception checks
+2 Charisma, -2 Strength

Gwendolin Bloodline
Gwendolin's Gift: +1 caster level for all healing spells
+2 Charisma, -2 Dexterity

Waden Bloodline
Waden's Gift: +1 Fort save
+2 Constitution, -2 Charisma

Quayla Bloodline
Quayla's Gift: Cold resistance 5
+2 Dexterity, -2 Strength

Oleon Bloodline
Oleon's Gift: +2 bonus on Spellcraft checks
+2 Intelligence, -2 Constitution

Philemonite
2013-07-14, 11:17 AM
Since I suck at balancing I need playground's opinion on Healing Mastery and Undead Slayer, as well as general race balance.

togapika
2013-07-14, 01:48 PM
Depends. If its for 3.5 or Pathfinder, no race without a Level Adjustment has 2 positive ability modifiers without any stat negatives. Especially not with one of those ability +'s being free choice.

Philemonite
2013-07-14, 01:57 PM
I was thinking of adding a penalty, but this would have to be an ability of choice (and I have never seen that) or bloodline based.
I should probably switch second bonus and penalty to be bloodline based.
What about other racial traits?

togapika
2013-07-14, 02:11 PM
The rest of it seems fine, I can't see anything too strong there. The +2 to fort saves might be a little on the edge of power, but even that would be a minor thing in a long running game.

Philemonite
2013-07-14, 02:19 PM
I wasn't sure if I should go with +1 or +2, but +2 is equivalent of a feat, so it's basically Greater Fortitude without actually taking it.
Bit it isn't balanced with +2 to skill check, since skill focus is +3.
I'm gonna change it to +1, it's still enough to show they are sturdy.
Thanks for your comments.

Philemonite
2013-07-14, 02:48 PM
OK, this is pretty much done. I just need a few people to say it's not bad, and I can move on to my next race.

QuidEst
2013-09-04, 09:15 AM
I'm afraid I would not allow this in any campaign I was DMing. The power is severely skewed.

• They look like humans. This is a benefit in many games, and it's a lazy approach to design.
• They cannot be evil and they all revere Elora. This isn't a power problem; this is a PC race problem. You do not dictate what a PC does with their race, only say what is common. Even Aasimars can be evil.
• They are a net +4 race. They have a free choice stat, and on top of that, they pick from six bloodlines, allowing them to determine their stat penalty and another bonus. Moreover, the free choice isn't restricted from stacking. The simplest solution is to remove it.
EDIT: Looks like you just forgot to remove the free choice +2.
• They get a free super-metamagic on every cure spell they cast.
• Necrotic Resistance 5? I assume you mean negative energy resistance…

A lot of these features belong to a prestige class rather than a race. It's very focused on what it's good at, with very little benefit to anything that doesn't get healing.