PDA

View Full Version : Scout [3.5 Base Class overhaul/revision, PEACH]

Aotrs Commander
2013-07-13, 01:02 PM
I have started looking at knocking in the last proud nail of the noncaster classes I have not yet updated to my house-rules, the Scout.

Following the discussion here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291526),I came to the conclusion that the Scout actually a) isn't very good at actual scouting and b) Skirmish is a terrible ability that basically forces the Scout into a fairly narrow field wherein it is reliant on using resources to allow it's most basic class feature to actually, y'know, work. And that it was basically skirmish that was at the root of my problems with the scout.

What follows, then is my first-pass at fixing the problem.

First: ditch skirmish completely, and replace it with Sudden Strike. (With the intention of providing Scout with ways to use that ability, i.e. by making enemies denied their Dex, and also from Ambush, which I have started but not completeely ironed out.)

Second: Add some abilities to make the scout better at finding (and identifying) threats and ability to do recon. (Add knowledge and gather information (plus bluff) skills, improve stealth (for hiding, as that's what real recon does mostly) and up spotting distances and also precision damage range).

Third: Add new class feature to allow the Scout to make full attack actions while moving (in some circumstances). Ambush for melee (sneak up and full attack with melee, also giving you foe denied their Dex) and Skirmish for ranged (full attack while moving with ranged).

Hit Dice dropped to D6, as I see this as more a light, rogue-ish class, not a more meatly stand-and-fight class. (With less hit points, Scouts will be less inclined to want to brawl!) (We also have a straight Fighter/outdoor non-spell using homebrew class.)

I think there needs to be some sort of ability available to the scout like the Ranger ACF distrating Attack, but I'm not sure where to put it. (Also away from my books at the moment to look it up properly.)

Also, there is a dead level at 14 (where HiPS used to be, but the Scout has obviated the need for that with Disappear + Camoflage.) Which yes, it is getting at low level. Basically, the scout ought to be really good at stealth. (Still not as good as the Ninja's "I turn Invisible for umpteen rounds per day, ahahaha!" but not much behind!)

(Edit: starter for ten there is Maximise Sudden Strike, a class feature I cribbed from my modifcations to rogue that comes at the same level. Basically Sudden Maximise for sneak attack /sudden strike.)

Thoughts and feedback would be appreciated!

(I apologise, by the by, if this is a touch more slip-shod than my usual; I'm writing this from my sister's, since I have little time to not use at the moment!)

Note: though this is 3.5 primarily. we are using a PF-like skill system (wherein Hide/Move Silently, Decipher Script/Speak Language, Listen/Spot and Balance/Tumble have been folded together).

Scout (Revised, V0.2)

Hit Die: D6
Class Skills: Acrobatics (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Disable Device (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Linguistics (Int), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Stealth (Dex), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), and Use Rope (Dex).
Skill Points per level: 8+Int mod

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+0|Fall Back, Fast Movement (+10’), Sudden Strike +D6, Trapfinding
2nd|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+0|Disruptive Strike, Sharp Senses (45’), Uncanny Dodge
3rd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+1|Disappear, Sudden Strike +2D6, Trackless Step
4th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+1|Ambush, Bonus feat
5th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+1|Evasion, Sudden Strike +3D6
6th|
+4|
+5|
+5|
+2|Flawless stride
7th|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+2|Sudden Strike +4D6
8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+2|Skirmish, bonus feat
9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+6|
+3|Camouflage, Sudden Strike +5D6
10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+7|
+3|Blindsense 30’
11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+7|
+3|Fast Movement (+10’), Sharp Senses (60’), Sudden Strike +6D6
12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+8|
+4|Bonus feat
13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+8|
+4|Sudden Strike +7D6
14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+9|
+4|Maximise Sudden Strike
15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+9|
+5|Sudden Strike +8D6
16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+5|Bonus feat
17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|
+5|Sudden Strike +9D6
18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+6|Free movement
19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|
+6|Sudden Strike +10D6
20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+6|Blindsight 30’, bonus feat, Sharp Senses (75’)[/table]

Class Features
Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: Scouts are proficient with all simple weapons, plus the handaxe, throwing axe, short sword, and shortbow. Scouts are proficient with light armour, but not with shields.

Fall Back (Ex): At 1st level, a Scout who makes a Withdraw action gains a +1 bonus to Armour class. This bonus rises by +1 every two levels thereafter (i.e., every odd level). A Scout can also apply this bonus if she makes a double-move action, but only if she ends her her turn further away from an enemy than she started.

A scout loses this ability when wearing medium or heavy armour or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Fast Movement (Ex): Starting at 1st level, a scout’s gains a +10 foot enhancement bonus to her base land speed. At 11th level, this bonus increases to +20 feet. A scout loses this benefit when wearing medium or heavy armour or when carrying a medium or heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the barbarian’s speed because of any load carried or armour worn.

Sudden Strike (Ex): If a Scout can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage. Whenever a Scout’s target is denied a Dexterity bonus to Armour Class (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), the Scout deals an extra D6 points of damage with her attack. This extra damage increases by D6 points for every two Scout levels thereafter. A Scout can’t use sudden strike when flanking an opponent unless that opponent is denied its Dexterity bonus to AC.

This damage also applies to ranged attacks against targets up to 30 feet away. Creatures with concealment, creatures without discernible anatomies, and creatures immune to extra damage from critical hits are all immune to sudden strikes. A Scout can’t make a sudden strike while striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are out of reach.

A Scout can’t use sudden strike to deliver nonlethal damage. Weapons capable of dealing only nonlethal damage don’t deal extra damage when used as part of a sudden strike.

The extra damage from the sudden strike ability stacks with the extra damage from sneak attack whenever both would apply to the same target.

For the purpose of qualifying for feats, prestige classes, and similar options that require a minimum number of sneak attack extra damage dice, treat the Scout’s sudden strike ability as the equivalent of sneak attack.

Trapfinding (Ex): A scout can use the Search skill to locate traps with a DC higher than 20, and she can use Disable Device to bypass a trap or disarm magic traps.

Finding a nonmagical trap has a DC of at least 20, or higher if it is well hidden. Finding a magic or psionic trap has a DC of 25 + the level of the spell or power used to create it.

Scouts can use the Disable Device skill to disarm magic and psionic traps. Magic and psionic traps generally have a DC of 25 + the level of the spell or power used to create them.

A scout who beats a trap's DC by 10 or more with a Disable Device check can study a trap, figure out how it works, and bypass it (with his party) without disarming it.

Disruptive Strike (Ex): Starting at 2nd level a scout can make a disruptive attack with a melee or ranged weapon, causing the enemy to be distracted. The Scout must declare that she is using this ability before she makes her attack roll (thus, a failed attack roll ruins the attempt). Disruptive Strike forces a foe damaged by your attack to make a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + ½ your character level + your Wis modifier), in addition to dealing damage normally. A defender who fails this saving throw is rendered flat-footed until the end of the Scout’s next action. Creatures that cannot be flanked or are immune to critical its are immune to this ability.

A Scout may attempt a Disruptive Strike a number of times per day equal to half her Scout.

Sharp Senses (Ex): At 2nd level, a scout’s sharp senses increase all spotting and detection distances by +50%. (This is on top of any increases due to Low-Light Vision or Keen Senses, e.g. a Scout with Low-Light Vision would see x2.5 times as far as normal). In addition, the scout’s precision attack distance increases to 45’. At 11th level, this increases to 60’ and at 20th level, this increases to 75’.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a scout cannot be caught flat-footed and reacts to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so.

Disappear (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, the scout can make a hide check even when observed provided they have cover or concealment which which to hide behind.

A Scout that also has Camoflage class feature (from any class) can make a hide check in natural terrain while observed without needing cover or concealment. (This essentially replicates the Hide In Plain Sight class feature).

A scout loses this benefit when wearing medium or heavy armour or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Trackless Step (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, a scout cannot be tracked in natural surroundings and cannot be tracked. She may choose to leave a trail if so desired.

Ambush (Ex): At 4th level, a Scout can take a full-round action to emerge from hiding and move up to her speed. If she succeeds in her hide check (see page 92 of rules compendium), she may make a standard or full attack action and the target(s) are treated as flat-footed for each attack. If she is spotted, she may only make a single standard attack action and the target is not flat-footed. (Note that attempting to sneak and move more than half base speed imposes an additional -5 penalty to the Stealth check).

Bonus Feats: At 4th level and every four levels thereafter (8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th level), a scout gains a bonus feat, which must be selected from the following list: Acrobatic, Agile, Alertness, Athletic, Blind-Fight, Brachiation, Combat Expertise, Danger Sense, Dodge, Endurance, Far Shot, Great Fortitude, Hear the Unseen, Improved Initiative, Improved Skirmish, Improved Swimming, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Mobility, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Quick Draw, Quick Reconnoitre, Rapid Reload, Shot on the Run, Skill Focus, Spring Attack, Swift Ambusher, Swift Hunter, Track. She must meet all the prerequisites for the feat.

Evasion (Ex): Beginning at 5th level, a scout can avoid damage from certain attacks with a successful Reflex save. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the scout is wearing light armour or no armour. A helpless scout does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Flawless Stride (Ex): Starting at 7th level, a scout can move through any sort of terrain that slows movement (such as undergrowth, rubble, and similar terrain) at her normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment.

This ability does not let her move more quickly through terrain that requires a Climb or Swim check to navigate, nor can she move more quickly through terrain or undergrowth that has been magically manipulated to impede motion.

A scout loses this benefit when wearing medium or heavy armour or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Skirmish (Ex): At 8th level, a Scout that makes a full attack action can take a five-foot step as a free action after each attack.

Camouflage (Ex): Beginning at 9th level, a scout can use the Stealth skill to hide in any sort of natural terrain. She loses this benefit when wearing medium or heavy armour or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Blindsense (Ex): At 10th level, a scout gains the blindsense ability out to 30 feet. This ability functions as described on page 306 of the Monster Manual.

Maximise Sudden Strike: At 14th level, once per day, the Scout can maximise her Sudden Strike damage. Then Scout must declare the attempt before the attack roll is made, and if she misses, the attempt is wasted.

Free Movement (Ex): At 18th level and higher, a scout can slip out of bonds, grapples, and even the effects of confining spells easily. This ability duplicates the effect of a Freedom of Movement spell, except that it is always active.

Blindsight (Ex): A 20th-level scout gains the blindsight ability out to 30 feet. Her senses become so acute that she can manoeuvre and fight flawlessly even in total darkness. Invisibility, darkness, and most kinds of concealment are irrelevant, though the scout must have line of effect to a creature or object to discern it.

HamHam
2013-07-13, 06:18 PM
Ambush and Skirmish seem redundant.

Amechra
2013-07-13, 06:34 PM
I agree with HamHam.

May I suggest:

Ambushing Skirmish (Ex): As a full round action, you may move up to your speed and make a full attack. If you perform this action from hiding, your target is considered flat-footed.

Aotrs Commander
2013-07-14, 06:37 AM
I'd originally specifically seperated the two into melee and ranged optinos because I didn't want the scout to basically have pounce.

That said, in the cold light of morning after some time to reflect, how about the following.

(Actually, I just realised that I put both of thsoe abilities at 6th because of when the secondary attack kicks in, but the Scout's not full BAB; wasn;t hugely with it yesterday, by the time I'd gotten to this stage!)

Skirmish (Ex): At [8th level], a Scout that makes a full attack action can take a five-foot step as a free action after each attack.

You could leave that at level 6 or more likely move it up to level 8 when the secondad attack actuall kicks in (and it is quite potent ability) You could put it in put this in at a lower level (because of things like TWF or Rapid Shot which are both likely to be fairly common options) - though not too much, lower, I'd say, since you don't want it to be too dippable!) In any event, I'd drop Flawless Stride back to 6th as well (so that the Scout can always be taking 5' steps once this bility kicks in).

Ambush (Ex): At [8th level], a Scout can take a full-round action to emerge from hiding and move up to her speed. If she succeeds in her hide check (see page 92 of rules compendium)1, she may make a full attack action and the target(s) are treated as flat-footed for each attack2. If she is spotted, she may only make a single attack as normal. (Note that attempting to sneak and move more than half base speed imposes an additional -5 penalty to the Stealth check).

The Hide check thing is important; the Scout isn't invisible/silenced, after all (an even invisible deosn't mean you can't be spotted...!), which is why I think Ambush warrents it's own ability (and now the two aren't quite the same).

Between the Skrmish and Ambush, the scout could (say) sneak up and knobble a pair of sentries or guards or something. Again, really only useful when you've got more than one attack.

Better?

1Relevant rule is "You can sneak up on someone after emerging from a hiding place. For every 5 feet of open space between you and the target, you take a -5 penalty on your Hide check. If your Hide check succeeds, your target doesn't notice you until you attack or perform some attention-grabbing action. Such a target is treated as being flat-footed with respect to you."

2Clarification, since the basic rules would only let you make one attack this way, and stuff like regular invisibilty (as opposed to improved/greater) means you only get SA on the first attack so I thought it warrented a specific note.

Aotrs Commander
2013-07-15, 09:59 AM
Update change log:

Added Ambush and Skirmish as above. Ambush set to 4th level and clarified as being useable with a standard action attack (so it means not having to a) wait until 8th level for use for people with TWF/Rapid Shot to start getting to do what they are supposed to do and b) is not useless for anyone that doesn't do the former at that level.) Skirmish added to 8th level when second attack kicks in. Flawles Stride moved back down to 6th, Camoflage pushed to 9th (not a big issue, since the scout gets disappear at 3rd.)

Added Disruptive Strike as a 2nd level ability. Essentially, is works like Stunning Fist, but can be used on a melee or ranged weapon attack and requires a Fort save or become flat-footed until the end of the Scout's next action. (Giving them a way of making targets flat-footed for sudden strike.) Less the number of uses (i.e. only level/2), since that is quite good (since you can use it ranged).

(You might make an arument it should be will saves, but that would mean it'll be disproportionally effective against melee targets and less effective on lighter, squishier targets.)

Fluff-wise, it can be thought of as doing things like shooting the enemy and dazing them or generally forcing them to flinch, become mildly disorientaed or momentatily confused or staggered or something (or however you want to flavour it).

Note: All multiclass feats (i.e. Swift Hunter et al) can replace straight Skirmish with Sudden Strike without needing an other changes.

LordErebus12
2013-07-15, 12:32 PM
the biggest thing is that Sudden strike is terrible no matter how you look at it. at least with skirmish you could deal the damage as long as you moved 10 ft.

if you took that one feat and moved 20 ft., you then added in an extra +2d6 to the total. far better than sudden strike. id just sooner give it sneak attack.

Aotrs Commander
2013-07-15, 12:46 PM
the biggest thing is that Sudden strike is terrible no matter how you look at it. at least with skirmish you could deal the damage as long as you moved 10 ft.

if you took that one feat and moved 20 ft., you then added in an extra +2d6 to the total. far better than sudden strike. id just sooner give it sneak attack.

I was/am seriously considering that, but wondered whether that might step on the Rogue's toes too much.

SS is great is you have ninja levels, because invisibilty ahaha, but yeah, it's why I added Distracting Strike, giving you a fairly consistant method of making them flat-footed. (Actually, not much to keep you smacking 'em with it the first round and just keep pummeling 'em with it...) Maybe I ought to up the number to class level, not half? (Definatly leaving it at half if SS is replaced with SA, though.)

(The other advantage of Distracting Strike is that it allows you to be able to start dealing SS damage from range with the Scout's improved precision range.)

HamHam
2013-07-19, 08:21 PM
I think Scout should get ways to defeat magical means of concealment. True Sight as an SP (perhaps with limited uses). Save bonuses against illusion that kind of thing.

Tracking is a Ranger class feature or something, iirc. Scout should get that also.

LordErebus12
2013-07-20, 03:12 AM
I added Distracting Strike, giving you a fairly consistent method of making them flat-footed.

just remember, SS requires someone to be denied their dex mod. it does not technically mean they need to be flat-footed. flat-footed means that they lose dex mod and cannot make AoOs, far better than a typical 2nd level ability if it can be done consistently.

id change it to say that the shot denys their dex mod to AC, rather than flat-footed. maybe make that granted at 12th. Even then, any creature/character with combat reflexes suddenly finds it a worthless feat.

also, does it allow creatures with uncanny dodge/improved uncanny dodge become flat-footed? if not, it should mention that, at least.

Aotrs Commander
2013-07-23, 07:55 AM
I think Scout should get ways to defeat magical means of concealment. True Sight as an SP (perhaps with limited uses). Save bonuses against illusion that kind of thing.

Good idea. Very good idea, in fact. I'll have a think about that one.

Initial though is that, on top of anything else True Seeing as a permenant (Su): would actually make a fair capstone, actually, would it not?

Tracking is a Ranger class feature or something, iirc. Scout should get that also.

Eeeh... Given that I have both Ranger and Tracker (which is pretty dedicated to, well, tracking), I don't think Scout needs it. Yeah, it's useful to the Scout, but you can make exactly the same sort of arguement for Urban Tracking. I think I'm okay with the Scout either taking the feat of multiclassing for it.

just remember, SS requires someone to be denied their dex mod. it does not technically mean they need to be flat-footed. flat-footed means that they lose dex mod and cannot make AoOs, far better than a typical 2nd level ability if it can be done consistently.

id change it to say that the shot denys their dex mod to AC, rather than flat-footed. maybe make that granted at 12th. Even then, any creature/character with combat reflexes suddenly finds it a worthless feat.

The balance point I was looking at Stunning Fist. (Stun is way worse than flat-footed). I figured that less number of uses (and only gained from class levels) and confining it to only class levels and a weaker condition made up for it having the ability to be used at range or with weapons. (It is save-based, of course). I thought the general concensus was Stunning Fist wasn't all that great.

also, does it allow creatures with uncanny dodge/improved uncanny dodge become flat-footed? if not, it should mention that, at least.

Good question. When the final version of what it actually should do is narrowed down, I'll clarify that that one way or another.

Actually, if we read the text of all those abilities, Improved Uncanny Dodge means you can't be flanked as Disruptive Strike doesn't work on targets that can' be flanked, so technically the answer is "uncanny yes, improved uncanny no." (Whether that needs correcting is another matter.)

Amechra
2013-07-23, 07:58 AM
Combat Reflexes allows you to make AoOs while flat-footed.