PDA

View Full Version : Question: Caster Level and no spells (looking for stuff to use)

Pokelord2
2013-07-13, 01:32 PM
I have another question, some of you may remember my question about spellthieves from before (the GM went with your guy's theory, so it works out for me).

I got a new character concept in mind. The way the GM has chosen to interpret the rules allows me to use my caster level for spell-like abilities to qualify for feats and prestige classes (like the Wild Mage class and the Obtain Familiar feat). She does not allow these spell-like abilities to count as spell slots or highest spell available to be cast though, so some stuff is out of reach. She also allows for the ability to gain more feats through experience expenditure. The GM also permits the Practiced Caster feat (Complete Arcane 82 to be taken more than once for the same caster level source (including spell-like abilities).

Assume that I have a spell-like ability from a feat or racial feature (like Prestidigitation from the Night Haunt feat, Complete Arcane 81). The plan is to make a joke of the fact that I can take some feats and enter certain prestige classes without taking a step in any actual spellcasting classes by running as a fighter. The plan is to get 18 levels of fighter and then only level as scout from that moment on (if we get that far). Also, lets assume that I have taken the feat (I cannot recall the name) that adds two skills to my list of class skills. Finally, once I have had a class skill as a class skill it is forever counted as a class skill no matter what class I level in. And don't worry about xp penalties for multi-classing, however I would like the only base classes I'm taking to be fighter and scout but the prestige classes can be anything that does not require that I be able to cast a certain level of spells (such as how the Fatespinner from Complete Arcane requires I be able to cast 4th level or higher). I also would be taking practiced caster whenever the benefit from the last one would run out (so at 1st, 5th, 9th, 13, 17, 21, and so on).

Now that you have a basic understanding of the variants and what I'm trying to do, please help me find feats and prestige classes that have a caster level requirement but not a minimum spell slot or highest spell available or some such.

Oh yeah, I'm thinking Short Spear as my weapon of choice.

Urpriest
2013-07-13, 01:44 PM
If you're getting 18 levels in Fighter and the rest in Scout, you can't take any prestige classes, so I'm not sure what you're asking here.

HalfQuart
2013-07-13, 10:01 PM
I also don't understand what you're trying to do. Complete Arcane has several PrCs you could qualify for with just a caster level, like Acolyte of the Skin, Enlightened Fist, Green Start Adept, Mindbender, and Wild Mage. The problem is they all advance spellcasting of an existing spellcasting class, which you wouldn't have, and thus wouldn't gain any benefit. I'd say the only one that would be worthwhile is Mindbender for a one-level dip to get Telepathy, then take Mindsight.

Pokelord2
2013-07-16, 06:17 PM
If a prestige class taken would advance spellcasting it would advance the spellcasting of the spell-like ability that I chose to take with it. There are prestige classes (like HalfQuart says) that I can take but I'm trying to figure out which ones would be worth my time. Also, keep in mind that feats are on the table for this as well.