PDA

View Full Version : initiative house rule

Darth Stabber
2013-07-13, 08:10 PM
So in order to keep things simple I have ruled that any creature that you control acts on your initiative during combat. The problem becomes the extra power added to the already powerful White Raven Tactics. So my choice becomes split the initiative (and lose the simplicity) or let them tell the action economy to cry in corner instead of just sobing softly. What do?

Jeff the Green
2013-07-13, 08:14 PM
You could alter WRT slightly. Make it instead give the target the ability to immediately cast a spell, move, attack, or partial charge, plus one swift action (which is used up if they've used an immediate action since their last turn, but they can now use another immediate action before their next turn). Their initiative count doesn't change, and no one else is affected.

Quellian-dyrae
2013-07-13, 08:16 PM
How about this?

If the character's normal turn comes after its new initiative count, it and its minions all act on the new initiative count (no additional turns are being granted, so to keep things simple the whole team acts faster).

If the character's normal turn comes before its new initiative count, only it acts on its next turn; in future rounds, it and all minions act on the new initiative count (the team already took its turn; the specific target gets a bonus turn this round, and the whole team is thereafter slightly delayed).

drack
2013-07-13, 08:22 PM
I usually let them go with the character, but then I make the encounter so that each side gets enough turns that initiative doesn't win the world. I mean after 5 founds with 10-20 enemies, you rarely care anymore who won initiative. :smalltongue:

Darth Stabber
2013-07-13, 09:38 PM
How about this?

If the character's normal turn comes after its new initiative count, it and its minions all act on the new initiative count (no additional turns are being granted, so to keep things simple the whole team acts faster).

If the character's normal turn comes before its new initiative count, only it acts on its next turn; in future rounds, it and all minions act on the new initiative count (the team already took its turn; the specific target gets a bonus turn this round, and the whole team is thereafter slightly delayed).

I like this solution, simple and elegant. I think we have a winner, may the random number gods bless your dodecahedrons!

Curmudgeon
2013-07-13, 11:39 PM
I don't see how this changes anything. Summoned monsters you control already act on your initiative. NPCs (familiars, animal companions, hirelings) are controlled by the DM, not PCs.

Big Fau
2013-07-13, 11:41 PM
I don't see how this changes anything. Summoned monsters you control already act on your initiative. NPCs (familiars, animal companions, hirelings) are controlled by the DM, not PCs.

It matters for things like Dominate.

Matticussama
2013-07-14, 12:58 AM
NPCs (familiars, animal companions, hirelings) are controlled by the DM, not PCs.

I've found that this varies widely from game to game. Some DMs control familiars, animal companions, etc while other DMs let their players control them.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-14, 12:58 AM

I should include that I let players control their attendant npcs, and the main issue is controlled undead, not familiars and the like.

drack
2013-07-14, 06:16 AM
I should include that I let players control their attendant npcs, and the main issue is controlled undead, not familiars and the like.

So long as you recall that each and every order you give too your undeads takes a standard action I don't see why this is a problem for them to go on your first turn. :smallconfused: