PDA

View Full Version : level 2 divine spell

Ipuntmidgets
2013-07-14, 12:08 AM
Without using a race by level 3 I want to take a single divine class level and get ahold of a level 2 divine spell good enough to meet arcane divine combo prc

Verditude
2013-07-14, 01:01 AM
Versatile Spellcaster and Heighten Spell feats on a favored soul base. Use 2 1st-level favored soul slots to cast a 1st-level spell heightened to 2nd level. Your character can look like Arcane 2/Favored Soul 1 at this point, since you have 2 feats from hit dice, and it doesn't rely on race.

Jeff the Green
2013-07-14, 02:53 AM
Versatile Spellcaster and Heighten Spell feats on a favored soul base. Use 2 1st-level favored soul slots to cast a 1st-level spell heightened to 2nd level. Your character can look like Arcane 2/Favored Soul 1 at this point, since you have 2 feats from hit dice, and it doesn't rely on race.

Or on a cleric base, possibly even without Heighten Spell. Spontaneous conversion qualifies you for Versatile Spellcaster, and depending on when a cleric "knows" his spells, might be able to use Versatile Spellcaster to cast a 2nd level spell at level 1.

nedz
2013-07-14, 05:36 AM
Erm, some more information about your character would be handy.
Also which spell do you want ?

For example:
If you are playing a Wizard: put 4 ranks into Knowledge(Religion) and Spellcraft and then take the Arcane Disciple feat. Now if the spell you want is on a domain list you are good.

On the other hand: if you are not playing a wizard then this advice is useless.

Alienist
2013-07-14, 06:45 AM
Or on a cleric base, possibly even without Heighten Spell. Spontaneous conversion qualifies you for Versatile Spellcaster, and depending on when a cleric "knows" his spells, might be able to use Versatile Spellcaster to cast a 2nd level spell at level 1.

According to RAW you only know spell of each level when you level up to that level.

As for heighten, by RAW that doesn't work either:

"The heightened spell is as difficult to cast as a spell of its effective level."

"Choosing A Spell
First you must choose which spell to cast. If you’re a cleric, druid, experienced paladin, experienced ranger, or wizard, you select from among spells prepared earlier in the day and not yet cast (see Preparing Wizard Spells and Preparing Divine Spells).

If you’re a bard or sorcerer, you can select any spell you know, provided you are capable of casting spells of that level or higher."

Colour added for emphasis. It is not possible to cast spells of a level higher than what you can cast.*

Don't allow the orange but then ignore the purple, they're part of the same freakin' sentence for Lolth's sake.

*That sounds like a tautology, but the levels of spells you can cast is in fact well defined. Spellcasting classes have tables that show what levels of spells they can cast. Even if you somehow get to 'know' higher level spells you still can't cast them because BY RAW you can't perform the second half of 'step 1 choose a spell'

WhamBamSam
2013-07-14, 03:42 PM
Cleric 1 with DMM Heighten or Sanctum Spell should still work, as they change the spell's level as it's being cast. Meaning it's as difficult to cast as a 1st level spell, but comes out as a 2nd level spell. Therefore you can cast second level spells. Same thing with Earth Spell. Heighten a level 0 spell to 1st level in terms of difficulty to prepare/cast, and it comes out as a 2nd level spell.

Urpriest
2013-07-14, 03:46 PM
If you think that this sort of request can be fulfilled, you're aware of the concept of early entry tricks. If you're aware of the concept of early entry tricks, you could read whatever source you ran into that described early entry tricks. So I'm not sure why you're asking here.

Ipuntmidgets
2013-07-22, 05:09 PM
the reason that I'm posting here is i took a google search of getting into mystic theurge and read the RAW on them and most of the ones that i found didn't work by RAW and got veto'd by my dm.
My character is going to be a first level psion first level wizard first level cleric.
I'm trying to get into mystic theurge and cerebremancer at levels 4/5 so that i can hopefully finish out the build at level 23 with 21 casting levels in wizard 11 manifester levels in psion and 11 casting levels in cleric.
Basically i want to know if i can multi class to get divine, arcane, and psionic all in the same character with sacrificing the least amount of levels possible.
i already found out that i have to be a Githyanki with the feat born under the crecent moon in order to have a level 2 power and level 2 spell so that i can get into cerebremancer without sacrificing more than a single level in each class, but i want to know if i could squeeze in cleric levels as well.

Ipuntmidgets
2013-07-22, 05:14 PM
Also by RAW you can cast spells that are higher level than you know because feats and dragon magazine op. If all else fails then i will try to get a god quest to get the ability to cast a level 2 spell without having to take that extra 2 cleric levels.

If that doesn't work then i will just suck it up and use the incredible Psion / Wizard mesh to get the job done.

If you guys can find a second level divine spell that a person can cast as a spell like ability i might be able to pass that by the DM, but most times he is a rules lawyer to me because im the only one the group taht plays casters heavily.

To describe my group we are all specialized.
One guy plays skill monkeys, one person plays tanks and nonmagic melee classes, the third guy has only ever played support characters like a bard that doesn't fight and a wizard whose whole purpose is battlefield control and buff stick.

my job in the party is basically to fill the void of primary caster so i have to fill in all teh gaps that the party couldn't otherwise do themselves. I've played many kinds of casters, but i have never played anything like a dipstick caster where i take several levels in different classes and this mystic theurge cerebremancer is my first attempt at any kind of dipstick that isn't taking a wizard and applying a bunch of different prestige classes to it to give it a full list of random awesome abilities and that was a nightmare to put together.

i was just wondering if there was an easy and simple way to make a mystic theurge / cerebremancer and so far i haven't been able to find anything that allows me to do it according to RAW and i was wondering if giant could point me in the right direction