PDA

View Full Version : Do Outsider HD count as XP?

Malvanis
2013-07-14, 01:23 AM
For example, we have a midgard dwarf with 8 HD in outsider and no class levels. Where does he get the crafting xp? Does he have xp equal to that of a 8th level character that he can use to craft? Can he lose HD via much crafting?

Menzath
2013-07-14, 02:07 AM
Pg. 290 in monster manual.
Section -Monsters and Class Levels-
"The monster is considered to have experience points equal to the minimum needed to be a character of it's ECL. For example A 4th level minotaur barbarian has an ECL of 12(6 for is minotaur HD, 4 for it's class level, and 2 for it's level adjustment)."

Now that is worded terribly I know. But in theory if you gain HD or a LA when you did not have one before you also suddenly gain the XP associated with your new ECL.
And as for non-standard races I should think that this would apply as well.
But your GM may have issues with you using enough to loose a level.
I mean if the whole negative level thing affects them the same, I do not see why their HD should not be treated as ECL for accumulated XP.

eggynack
2013-07-14, 02:26 AM
This might not matter. I haven't seen proof that it applies to crafting magic items, but under spell components it says, " You cannot spend so much XP that you lose a level." There's an implication that it's universally applicable, too. Thus, you can't reduce your HD by pulling from outsider HD, because you also can't reduce your level by pulling from your class levels.

TuggyNE
2013-07-14, 02:49 AM
This might not matter. I haven't seen proof that it applies to crafting magic items, but under spell components it says, " You cannot spend so much XP that you lose a level." There's an implication that it's universally applicable, too. Thus, you can't reduce your HD by pulling from outsider HD, because you also can't reduce your level by pulling from your class levels.

The proof is, oddly, under Feats:
Item Creation Feats
An item creation feat lets a spellcaster create a magic item of a certain type. Regardless of the type of items they involve, the various item creation feats all have certain features in common.

XP Cost
Experience that the spellcaster would normally keep is expended when making a magic item. The XP cost equals 1/25 of the cost of the item in gold pieces. A character cannot spend so much XP on an item that he or she loses a level. However, upon gaining enough XP to attain a new level, he or she can immediately expend XP on creating an item rather than keeping the XP to advance a level.

eggynack
2013-07-14, 02:50 AM
The proof is, oddly, under Feats:
Well, there ya go. I was using the dumb half of my brain, and checking under magic item creation rules. I don't know what I was thinking.