PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Need some help with magic items

the_david
2013-07-14, 06:10 AM
I'm currently GMing Sixfold Trials for 2 players and I noticed they are 8000 GP behind in treasure. (The BBEG just left with all his cash.) Now I know they both just need a magic weapon and some good armor, but I'd like something a bit more fancy than a +1 shortsword.

So for the details:
- Two-Weapon Fighting Tiefling Rogue, going for assassin
- Aasimar Ninja Bard, going for Arcane Trickster.

I was thinking Glamered weapons, but that's a bit too expensive. I don't think they need a silenced grappling hook.

Sylthia
2013-07-14, 08:39 AM
What level are the characters? If 8K is within the WBL margin of error, I would not worry, but there is also nothing wrong with simple +1 weapons at low levels.

Bradley Crouch
2013-07-14, 09:42 AM
Sure there is. It's boring, and it's one of the biggest flaws of the D&D treasure system. 8,3XX gp before a weapon does anything fun is a big problem. To that end, look into doing some creative rewiring. I don't think your finesse characters would complain about a weapon that doesn't have an enhancement bonus to damage, but grants an enhancement bonus to initiative instead. What about a spell storing weapon that can only hold cantrips that deals damage to itself when it cracks off the spell? Spice it up, add 500 gp to the value of your +1 weapon, and have fun with it.

the_david
2013-07-14, 11:00 AM
They are both at level 4, they should each have about 6000 gp worth of equipment.
They definately need magic weapons, and they might like to have mithral chainshirts.
I like the idea of giving them a weapon that can use a spell once per day.

the_david
2013-08-17, 03:48 PM
Necromancer bump...

So, our vacation break is over. And the best I've come up with so far is a weapon that allows them to use another 2nd level spell instead of their spelllike ability. It's not overpowering but it makes the weapon a little bit special.

For the fire-obsessed Tiefling wannabe Assassin I was thinking of Scorching Ray. The Musetouched Aasimar Ninja Bard though, uhm...
She has the Glitterdust spelllike ability, and I don't think Daylight would be a good idea. I'd like some kind of Azata connection, and I want to avoid Bard spells because, duh Bard.
So does anyone have a suggestion for the ninja bard? And does someone have an alternative for the Tiefling?

Segev
2013-08-17, 05:18 PM
Give the bard a quiver of +1 spell-storing arrows, and a masterwork bow. Make sure to get him a replacement +2 weapon in a while, but for now the expendable spell-storing arrows will be an immense boost to his potency and will be self-solving for quantity.

Give the rogue a weapon-of-choice that doubles as a "Crown of the White Ravens" which grants the swift-action Greater Invisibility maneuver.

i.e., a dagger (or whatever) that allows him to, once per encounter, cast Greater Invisibility on himself as a swift action that does not provoke AoOs, but which lasts for only one round.

Or maybe a dagger whose hilt is an Immovable Rod. That's actually under-priced without some added bonus, but I'm sure they can come up with some fun things to do with that.

...or, heck, a Wand of Heroics could be fun to add in. It's only about 4500 gp.

the_david
2013-08-17, 10:53 PM
- You can't add Spell Storing to a ranged weapon, you little munchkin.
- The Ninja Bard already has the Vanish spell on his list.
- They only need about 3000 gp each. That's a +1 weapon and a Mithral Shirt.

Segev
2013-08-18, 12:37 AM
- You can't add Spell Storing to a ranged weapon, you little munchkin.Oh, right, this is specifically for PF. It worked in 3.5, and I usually play 3.5 still.

- The Ninja Bard already has the Vanish spell on his list.
- They only need about 3000 gp each. That's a +1 weapon and a Mithral Shirt.
Sure. The OP seemed to be asking for ideas, though. Hence... dagger (or other weapon of choice) whose hilt is an immovable rod remains a suggestion.

the_david
2013-08-18, 01:04 AM
I am the OP...