PDA

View Full Version : Highest *effective cleric level* for turning?

Piggy Knowles
2013-07-14, 10:22 AM
I'm working on a fairly silly build that, among other things, uses Dragonfire Channeling and creaking cacophony as a mini-damage engine. Yeah, it's not a crazy combo, but I'm having fun with this build.

In any case, DFC runs off of effective cleric level to determine how strong it is. It explicitly states that anything that boosts your effective cleric level for the purpose of turning works here - so, unlike many similar effects, you can get away with spending levels as a non-cleric.

So, how can I boost my effective cleric level as high as possible, so as to maximize damage from Dragonfire Channeling? Feats, items, spells, PrCs - anything that keeps it high is nice, but it has to boost actual effective cleric level, rather than turning damage or Charisma checks, meaning a lot of the things in the turning handbooks don't apply.

Improved Turning (feat): +1
Phylactery of Undead Turning (item): +4
Scepter of the Netherworld (item): +3
Flametouched Iron Holy Symbol (item): +1
Inspire Turning (bard ACF): +2 (replaces inspire competence, requires bardic music use)

I know there has got to be more than just this... how high can I get my effective turning level, for the purposes of Dragonfire Channeling?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-07-14, 10:40 AM
Ephod of Authority (MIC): +1
Talisman of Undead Mastery (MIC): up to +4

Ruby Blade (MIC): +4 Rebuke only, relic power so it's fairly restrictive.

Rod of Defiance (MIC): Undead nearby have -4 turn resistance, can count as lower than their actual HD.

Piggy Knowles
2013-07-14, 12:39 PM
Talisman of Undead Mastery and Ephod of Authority should work. Ruby Blade also works. Rod of Defiance unfortunately won't work for these purposes - since I'm not actually interested in turning undead (although the build should be pretty good at it if necessary), but rather channeling turn attempts into DFC, reducing the turn resistance of undead doesn't help much.

Any class features or feats that I'm missing? I feel like there's got to be something I'm missing. Glory domain does not appear to work the way it's worded - it gives a bonus on the turning check, but it does not actually raise my effective cleric level, which is what DFC looks for.

Shalist
2013-07-14, 07:58 PM
-Moonfriend ring: Turn undead as if three levels higher (Expidition to Castle Ravenloft)

-Divine Energy Focus, from 'ghostwalk':

Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus on turning checks and turning damage rolls. Treat your cleric level as two higher than normal for the purpose of determining if you destroy or command undead rather than just turning or rebuking them.

-Light of Wisdom (clr 3, 'complete champion') boosts your next turn attempt (last rounds/lvl or until discharged):

...When you cast light of wisdom upon your holy symbol, your effective turning level increases by 1 per three caster levels.

These bonus levels apply only for the purpose of determining the most powerful undead that your turning check can affect and whether or not the undead you turn are destroyed outright...

Keld Denar
2013-07-15, 03:44 PM
Don't forget that if you are good aligned, you can cast Turn Anathema and apply your massive TU level against evil outsiders. They generally scale in HD 1:1 with CR, so it's not tough to turn a CR 20 Balor by level 11 or so. Sadly, Turn Anathema doesn't let you dust outsiders like undead, but making a Pit Fiend wet himself and run away is still hilarious. As a second level spell, you can easily Quicken it with a Lesser MM Rod or a Circlet of Rapid Casting, or straight up as a 6th level spell.

The spell is in Complete Champion.