PDA

View Full Version : Gargoyle Character

Yogibear41
2013-07-14, 02:28 PM
Are their any good 3rd party books, or templates to make a good gargoyle character? Because the high LA and racial hit die in the MM one are just horrendous.

Urpriest
2013-07-14, 02:33 PM
What exactly do you want a gargoyle to be? Are you willing to consider homebrew monster classes?

Azoth
2013-07-14, 02:47 PM
Combine Dragon Born (web enhancement) and Mineral Warrior (under dark) for 1 LA you get: +2 str, -2 dex, +6 con, -2 int,-2 wis, -2 cha
+3 Natural Armor
burrow speed equal to land speed
1/day smite with con bonus
DR 8/adamantine
and eventual flight based on HD up to 30ft (average)
60ft darkvision

The trick for flight is to take the mineral warrior template before your HD grant flight. When you acquire the template you lose any existing racial flight, but not flight modes you gain later on.

*edit* If Dragon born is unavailable, use Raptoran from Races of the Wild. It is the same except you lose +2 con and gain +2 dex.

you could also add the arctic template from dragon mag for another +2 con -2cha.

Overall you lose 2str 6dex but gain +2 to all mental stats, lose 1point of natural armor, lose the natural weapons, gain slower flight...but come out at ECL2 instead of ECL 9. Not a bad trade off.

Yogibear41
2013-07-14, 03:06 PM
Id say its a pretty amazing trade off lol. Any way to get it some natural claw attacks to go with that?

As far as what I want it to be not exactly sure, just had the thought that I may want to play a gargoyle character one day, and would like it to not suck ha. I am willing to consider homebrew.

Urpriest
2013-07-14, 03:30 PM
Id say its a pretty amazing trade off lol. Any way to get it some natural claw attacks to go with that?

As far as what I want it to be not exactly sure, just had the thought that I may want to play a gargoyle character one day, and would like it to not suck ha.

I'd advise just picking up claws with class levels, like Psychic Warrior or Totemist.

Azoth
2013-07-14, 03:39 PM
Feral from savage species is +1 LA and gives 2 claw attacks along with +6 NA and some further stat mods.

Though I do agree that class levels would be better than another template especially if using dragonborne, as it removes almost all racial traits aside stat mods.