PDA

View Full Version : Feats for a fire based Sorcerer

Humble Master
2013-07-14, 07:19 PM
So in my campaign I have a person playing Sorcerer. They are building a fire based character and are eventually going to take a modified version of the Pyrokineticist. However they don't really know what feats to take. They didn't really choose a feat for 1st level and the have just gotten 3rd. So, any ideas for good, fire based feats for a Sorc?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-07-14, 07:23 PM
Searing Spell metamagic (from Sandstorm). Ignoring Fire Resistance and doing half damage to Fire-immune? Yes please!

Feint's End
2013-07-14, 07:25 PM
Energy Substitution (Fire), Searing Spell, Fiery Blast (Reserve Feat)

The last one is more for flavour but small at will fire explosions are a neat way to deal damage if you don't want to blow a spell on it.

Is your player going blaster? Because if so ... which OP level are you playing at? Energy Sub and Searing Spell are must haves and Fiery Blast is also fairly good (though you sadly can't take it at level 3 as a sorceror) so you could just take those 3 feats till level 6.

edit: just realized you don't actually energy sub for searing spell so you probably could skip that ... though having a Fire Spell of every level for Fiery Blast (that is argueable I admit ... since technically it becomes a Fire spell when you cast it .... I as a Dm would handwave that though) is nice and flavourful (like cone of fire instead of cone of cold etc etc)

TheMooch
2013-07-14, 07:33 PM
searing spell

Andion Isurand
2013-07-14, 07:35 PM
Radiant Spell from Dragon Magazine #314 is a nice one that will allow you to use your fire spells to single out those with weak Will saves.

Each time a creature is harmed by the modified spell, it must make a will save at the same DC as the spell, or be blinded for 1 round per spell level (prior to adding this feat).

Success means the creature is merely dazzled for 1 round.

It costs 2 spell slots to use this feat, and can only be used to modify fire spells. The feat also requires you have a charisma of 15.

========================

Bloodline of Fire (PGtF 34) is a good first level only feat, that gives you +4 to saves against fire effects, as well as a +2 to the caster level of all spells you cast with the fire descriptor.

========================

nedz
2013-07-14, 07:45 PM
Sculpt Spell — because fire doesn't always come in the right shape.

Feint's End
2013-07-14, 07:46 PM
Bloodline of Fire (PGtF 34) is a good first level only feat, that gives you +4 to saves against fire effects, as well as a +2 to the caster level of all spells you cast with the fire descriptor.

Yeah that's a good suggestion

Lvl 1: Bloodline of Fire
Lvl 3: Searing Spell
Lvl 6: Fiery Burst
Lvl 9: Energy Substitution (Fire)

Humble Master
2013-07-14, 08:00 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions. I will run them by my player and see what they think.