PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Advice for Magus/Oracle?

KnightOfCalc
2013-07-14, 08:09 PM
Hello, everyone!

I am a long time 3.5 player, new pathfinder player. We decided to create new characters and I rolled pretty well for my stats. Here are my stats right now rolled up with 4d6 (reroll of 1d6 per roll):
Without any bonuses, of course. I was wondering, with these modifiers, is it possible to go Magus/Oracle/Mystic Theurge? I know that my stats are going to be all over, so I wanted to check with you guys. My build so far is 6 Magus/4 Oracle/10 Mystic Theurge.

Thanks for the advice!

avr
2013-07-14, 09:54 PM
So, you're expecting to get third level spells at character level 11-12? You don't have a problem with being getting said spells when any full casters in your party are getting sixth level spells?

Even with a laser-tight focus on buff spells and fighting you're going to have a tough time making this work. Ability scores are only the start.

grarrrg
2013-07-14, 09:55 PM
Mystic Theurge

I...I'm not in the right frame of mind for a proper reply right now...
Someone else will be along shortly...

EDIT: ^ There they are! ^

navar100
2013-07-14, 09:59 PM
Just play an Oracle Battle Mystery to get all the fun you need in being a warrior who can cast spells.

ST 17 DX 14 CO 17 IN 15 WI 16 CH 17 before racial modifiers.

Beowulf DW
2013-07-14, 10:47 PM
I will admit that I'm hardly an expert, but I've played Pathfinder long enough to notice that unless a prestige class is geared toward a specific class, (i.e. Dragon Disciple and Sorceror or Alchemist and Master Chymist) mutliclassing and then tying everything up with a prestige class usually isn't worth it. I think this is mostly because Pathfinder have a lot of abilities that scale with level. As such, unless you can find a prestige class that helps certain key abilities of a base class continue to improve with level, it's going to take some work to get it to...well...work.

KnightOfCalc
2013-07-14, 11:03 PM
Alright, guys, sounds great. I noticed those problems before, but I wanted to get some more feedback before I changed. Looks like I'll be going full Magus.

Thanks for the advice!:smallbiggrin:

marcielle
2013-07-15, 05:52 AM
One of the few Multiclass prestiges that work is the Rage Prophet. Not as good as straight oracle but this combo nets you Rage cycling by 5th level so it's moderately strong throughout. Gives you reasonable amounts of both smashy and casty.
Stock Rageprophet build: http://elderwyrm.com/rageprophet.html

Drachasor
2013-07-15, 06:02 AM
An Aasimar or Teifling can get into MT at 4th level. 2 Sorc/1 Cleric or 2 Cleric/1 Sorc depending on what you want to focus on. Grab the Fate Inquisition on the Cleric for a Augury as a spell-like ability. Empyreal Sorcerer uses Wisdom to cast.

Of course, you won't be doing melee.

(And yes, it has been ruled that Spell-likes qualify you for prestige class casting requirements in Pathfinder).

navar100
2013-07-15, 10:10 PM
Full Magus is ok too. :smallsmile:

NamelessNPC
2013-07-16, 12:19 AM
(And yes, it has been ruled that Spell-likes qualify you for prestige class casting requirements in Pathfinder).

Can you show us a link?

Drachasor
2013-07-16, 01:27 AM
Can you show us a link?

Sure. (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9qow)

Personally I think this is rather insane. Why not fix the PrCs instead of allowing certain race/class combos early access? Bah!

Why must my group play pathfinder?

NamelessNPC
2013-07-16, 01:46 AM
Wow. I'm drawing blanks right now, but I'm absolutely sure this has awesome/awful implications.

Thanks!

grarrrg
2013-07-16, 05:57 PM

Personally I think this is rather insane. Why not fix the PrCs instead of allowing certain race/class combos early access? Bah!

:smalleek:
Bwaah!??

Tokuhara
2013-07-16, 08:46 PM
*Casts Flame Shield and Puts on a Ring of Fire Immunity*

If you took a 2 level dip into Unbreakable Fighter and a 1 level dip into Cleric (Travel Domain and 1 of your choice), you'll have 2 feat taxes paid off and an extra 10' on your movement speed. Combine this with a Dancing Dervish Magus and you're set

Chained Birds
2013-07-16, 08:53 PM

Things have just got interesting/stupid all of a sudden... :smallfrown:

avr
2013-07-16, 10:28 PM
Most pathfinder PrCs have skill or BAB requirements also. I guess it does make arcane trickster easier to enter as rogue 3 / wizard 1 / arcane trickster X. That sounds just fine. Mystic theurge as cleric 3 / wizard 1 / mystic theurge X probably still isn't going to be a problem.

Hmmm. An aasimar sorcerer 3 (as 2 feats prereq) / bloodmage X ? Nice I guess.

Drachasor
2013-07-17, 12:02 AM
Most pathfinder PrCs have skill or BAB requirements also. I guess it does make arcane trickster easier to enter as rogue 3 / wizard 1 / arcane trickster X. That sounds just fine. Mystic theurge as cleric 3 / wizard 1 / mystic theurge X probably still isn't going to be a problem.

Hmmm. An aasimar sorcerer 3 (as 2 feats prereq) / bloodmage X ? Nice I guess.

You can do it as an Aasimar or Tiefling Cleric 2/Sorcerer 1.