PDA

View Full Version : why is the Thrall of Juiblex considered good?

CyberThread
2013-07-14, 08:22 PM
yeah...why is the Thrall of Juiblex considered so great? I mean unlimited oozes is cool, but ...so?

Keldrin
2013-07-14, 08:34 PM
The answer is... it ISN'T, it's very, very evil.

And now back to you regularly scheduled thread.

123456789blaaa
2013-07-14, 08:47 PM
Full BAB, all good saves, and alter self and polymorph at will are the big ones (the immunities at tenth level are also good). The other abilities it gets are minor but are also nice as well.

Sith_Happens
2013-07-14, 08:47 PM
Key word "unlimited." See: Chicken-Infested.

123456789blaaa
2013-07-14, 08:48 PM
Key word "unlimited." See: Chicken-Infested.

The oozes only last for a limited amount of time so that doesn't work.

CyberThread
2013-07-14, 08:56 PM
Hmm....looks like a ranger build then?

Sith_Happens
2013-07-14, 09:03 PM
The oozes only last for a limited amount of time so that doesn't work.

I could probably still reach maximum word count on this post listing things you can do with them.

eggynack
2013-07-14, 09:07 PM
Hmm....looks like a ranger build then?
I dunno why you'd only use one class. If you want to get in as early as possible, which you presumably do, you'd probably want a healthy mix of three separate fort save raising classes. Additionally, at least one of them needs escape artist as a class skill. I dunno the best way to pull off the combination, but it should be possible to get in by level four without any cheese.

Namfuak
2013-07-14, 09:39 PM
I dunno why you'd only use one class. If you want to get in as early as possible, which you presumably do, you'd probably want a healthy mix of three separate fort save raising classes. Additionally, at least one of them needs escape artist as a class skill. I dunno the best way to pull off the combination, but it should be possible to get in by level four without any cheese.

Interestingly, the only good fort save class with escape artist I've been able to find so far is swashbuckler. Even clerics don't seem to have a domain which adds it to your list of skills.

CyberThread
2013-07-14, 09:44 PM
I knew swashbucklers were slimey...

icefractal
2013-07-14, 11:42 PM
You can get into it at 4th level, so while the first two levels are unimpressive, you're getting unlimited slime summoning at 6th character level (pretty relevant) and unlimited alter self at 7th (not world shaking, but pretty handy). Then you get exploitable demon-summoning at 8th, and unlimited polymorph at 11th - later than the spell, but much earlier than Shapechange. And the next level, more exploitable demon summoning.

And full BAB + d10 HD + all good saves isn't a win on it's own, but it is a nice bonus.

Also provides a good non-Changeling Warshaper entry.

Vknight
2013-07-15, 06:28 AM
You can get into it at 4th level, so while the first two levels are unimpressive, you're getting unlimited slime summoning at 6th character level (pretty relevant) and unlimited alter self at 7th (not world shaking, but pretty handy). Then you get exploitable demon-summoning at 8th, and unlimited polymorph at 11th - later than the spell, but much earlier than Shapechange. And the next level, more exploitable demon summoning.

And full BAB + d10 HD + all good saves isn't a win on it's own, but it is a nice bonus.

Also provides a good non-Changeling Warshaper entry.

Great now you've given me the idea
Now I want to make a
Ranger 2/Barbarian 1/Warblade 2/Totemist 2/Warshaper 4/Thrall of Juiblex 9

Which actually would be pretty nice build
Good saves
Good BAB hmm maybe drop Warblade for Swordsage for lower BAB but better Reflex and Will
Hmmm Assassins Stance on a Warshaper yeah that is nice.

------------

Seriously Thrall is just really good for what it provides etc

CyberThread
2013-07-15, 01:48 PM
Hmm I think your order of things is messed up, I would take a few levels of julblex, before I jumped into warblade , and keep warshaper beyond a one level dip, near the back .

Vknight
2013-07-15, 02:52 PM
Well that is not the order I'd take them but it would be the end result of 20 levels.

Probably do something more like this over a 20 level career

Ranger 2
Barbarian 1
Totemist 1
Thrall of Jubilex 4
Warshaper 2
Thrall of Jubilex 2
Totemist 1
Warshaper 1
Thrall of Jubilex 3
Warshaper 1
Warblade or Swordsage 2

I prefer Swordsage personally for the boost too Reflex & Will saves.
Hmmm maybe instead of Ranger 2, Monk 2 for evasion and better Will hmmm.

Shloogorgh
2013-07-19, 01:23 PM
Another base class that gives both good fort and escape artist is the Mariner, from the Dragonlance book Legend of the Twins. As long as you go by the revision, it has full bab. You also get a bonus feat and a sailor version of bardic lore for a 1 level dip.