PDA

View Full Version : Carrying Capacity workarounds.

Corinath
2013-07-14, 10:45 PM
I haven't done, or found, a lot of reading on how to get around Carrying Capacity limitations yet. I'm a small character with a 10 str score. Means I can't carry beans.

Do the extra-dimensional means of holding things also take the weight away? Or do we have to be more creative?

What are some ways you've found of getting around carrying things?

juicycaboose
2013-07-14, 11:11 PM
Extradimensional storage does also help with carrying capacity limitations, i.e the type I bag of holding always weighs 15lbs and can hold up to 250lbs worth of items inside it, and the handy haversack always weighs 5lbs and can hold up to 120lbs worth of items inside it.

Elric VIII
2013-07-14, 11:19 PM
A donkey or a mule (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm). Simple, easy, and willing to enter a dungeon. Buy for 8gp, spend another 4gp on saddlebags, and 5cp (.05gp) per day on food.

Kane0
2013-07-14, 11:26 PM
There is also the PF spell Ant Haul (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/ant-haul) which is great if you can get a hold of it.

Triple carrying capacity for 2 hours/CL as a level 1 spell almost all casters have access to. Get a couple potions or a wand and your set.

Azoth
2013-07-14, 11:29 PM
If you have a paladin or someone else who has a summonable mount you can load it down beyond capacity and just summon/dismiss it when it is time to load up/sell loot.

Animal companions make great things to carry gear, go in dungeons, and stand a chance to live.

Use the party BSF to carry things you don't need immediate access to.

Wear the belt of 75 pockets...forget its name. It has a fixed weight of 10lb I think.

I have used sleds to haul gear using my drag weight instead of carry weight.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-07-14, 11:39 PM
Don't forget hirelings.

Even a 1st level character is starting the game (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061110a) with around $50,000 in equipment and coin. Spend a few silver and hire some untrained labor by the day to cart your haul with sacks.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-07-14, 11:40 PM
The Belt of Wide Earth (MIC) explicitly doubles your carrying capacity.

Keldrin
2013-07-15, 12:08 AM
For 1,500 gp you can add Easy Travel (page 10 MiC) to your armour. Treat a medium load as a light one.

Immabozo
2013-07-15, 12:14 AM
For 1,500 gp you can add Easy Travel (page 10 MiC) to your armour. Treat a medium load as a light one.

If you found something to treat a heavy load as a medium one, would this let you treat it as a light one? Hello war hulk/hulking hurler insane damage!

TuggyNE
2013-07-15, 05:01 AM
OP, you might want to fix your title, since this is not TO.

Erik Vale
2013-07-15, 05:05 AM
Muleback Cords grant you +8 str for lifting purposes only. Combine with Anthaul magic item [think it's a belt] to triple that, follow with bags of holding. Takes up item slots but this way your treasure cant be stolen by your heirlings and it cant run away on mule back if your DM is feeling particularly evil.

eggynack
2013-07-15, 05:08 AM
OP, you might want to fix your title, since this is not TO.
Well, it isn't currently anyways. My solution is to acquire large size from some source and go into war hulk. That gets you from ten strength to thirty strength, which makes carrying capacity significantly less of an issue. After that, you might as well boost strength as much as you can past that, and enter hulking hurler. Alternatively, become Pun-Pun and give yourself the ability, "Carry anything: My carrying capacity is now infinite". Those are about as TO as I can get.

ahenobarbi
2013-07-15, 05:52 AM
Wizard 8/ Sacred Exorcist 1 with following feats: Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell), Alternate Spell Source.

Persist Draconic Polymorph into 9 headed hydra. Not only boosts your strength but makes you quadruped to boot.

Edit: there probably are better forms but I'm away from books.

Thurbane
2013-07-15, 06:30 AM
Tooth of Savnok is a slotless item that lets you carry up to a heavy load without taking movement penalties.

eggynack
2013-07-15, 06:42 AM
Wizard 8/ Sacred Exorcist 1 with following feats: Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell), Alternate Spell Source.

Persist Draconic Polymorph into 9 headed hydra. Not only boosts your strength but makes you quadruped to boot.

Edit: there probably are better forms but I'm away from books.
Is there any particular reason why it can't be a nine-headed cryohydra? That'd be a nifty addition. I should probably run an actual search for more creatures with great carrying capacity.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-15, 02:00 PM
When you gain access to animate dead you have all the carrying capacity you could hope for all for a little onyx outlay. Animate dead is great spell for any wizard with the moral flexibility to use it. People are always down on it because "clerics get it earlier", and "clerics do it better", but if you are already a wizard, there is no reason no to, just because someone else could do it better in theory. Wizards still probably shouldn't focus on the undead armies, but there is no reason to avoid it wholesale.

Fouredged Sword
2013-07-15, 02:18 PM
An ox and wagon costs maybe 200gp or so and can haul more loot than you are likely to find.

Used it to hall or large monsters we wanted to cut into parts one game.

dascarletm
2013-07-15, 02:18 PM
Don't forget hirelings.

Even a 1st level character is starting the game (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061110a) with around $50,000 in equipment and coin. Spend a few silver and hire some untrained labor by the day to cart your haul with sacks.

I second this. My 8str wizard at low levels hired a porter for double the listed price. He saved my life a few times. He got himself a small keep when I hit level 12 or so. Also, the RP potential is hard to ignore.
I miss Samwise my porter.:smallfrown:

The Fury
2013-07-15, 02:28 PM
I'm a small character with a 10 str score. Means I can't carry beans.

I'm reasonably certain that you could carry beans, they're not that heavy. The question is how many do you need to carry? A better question is what are you going to do with them?

Jokes aside, as was pointed out extradimensional carrying methods do reduce weight. A Portable Hole effectively has no weight towards your encumbrance. Just don't ever try to put the Portable Hole into your Bag of Holding or vice versa, it will tear reality asunder! Plus you'll lose all the stuff you wear carrying.

Harlot
2013-07-15, 03:09 PM
If youre worried about encumbrance during battle i.e weight of armor, go here:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-218757.html

Chronos
2013-07-15, 05:28 PM
This is pretty much the exact purpose of Bags of Holding and the like. Though Bags of Holding themselves are seldom worthwhile, since [Heward's] Handy Haversack is cheaper and more convenient. It's also smaller, but it's still almost always big enough, unless you're carrying whole wagons (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0198.html) or something.

ahenobarbi
2013-07-16, 04:30 AM
Is there any particular reason why it can't be a nine-headed cryohydra? That'd be a nifty addition. I should probably run an actual search for more creatures with great carrying capacity.

Cryohydra will work just fine.

HalfQuart
2013-07-16, 12:58 PM
How about polymorphing into one of these:
Elephant 11 HD, 30 Str Huge quadruped = 532 x 6 = 3,192 lbs light load
Sun Giant (MM2) 13 HD, 37 Str Huge = 1,384 x 4 = 5,536 lbs
Grizzly Mastodon (MM2) 15 HD, 35 Str, Huge quadruped = 1,064 x 6 = 6,384 lbs

MM2 had a bunch of decent candidates... seems 3.5 boosted the HD more on really big stuff.

If you can get Draconic Polymorph and have the Outsider type, then I think the best option is a Titan: 20HD, 43+8=51 Str Huge = 9,792 x 4 = 39,168 lbs light load limit.

But if you're really worried about carrying capacity at 20th level, you're either doing something very wrong or very silly.

RogueDM
2013-07-16, 07:19 PM
I know it doesn't have the greatest duration at the outset, but with some feats and caster levels behind it wouldn't Tenser's Floating Disk help? It was the first spell that came to my mind, although the fact that nobody has mentioned it yet makes me think it might be intentionally excluded...

Drachasor
2013-07-17, 12:07 AM
PF has the Yak/Bison for 28gp. It has a strength of 27. I'm having it lug my wizard's folding chairs, folding table, ceremonial tea set, waffle iron, waffle mix, and other assorted essentials.

(Light load: 1038 lbs, Medium: 2079; Heavy: 3120)

Darth Stabber
2013-07-17, 12:29 AM
I know it doesn't have the greatest duration at the outset, but with some feats and caster levels behind it wouldn't Tenser's Floating Disk help? It was the first spell that came to my mind, although the fact that nobody has mentioned it yet makes me think it might be intentionally excluded...

It lasts an hour per level (not long enough at low level), and consumes a spell (too few at low levels, you should be spending those on acquiring loot, not carrying it). Consider this: a mule cost 8gp, will enter dungeons without special training and this is in it's srd entry:

A light load for a mule is up to 230 pounds; a medium load, 231-460 pounds; and a heavy load, 461-690 pounds. A mule can drag 3,450 pounds.

Telonius
2013-07-17, 09:37 AM
Shrink Item (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shrinkItem.htm) and Secret Chest (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/secretChest.htm) can also help, if there are items you want access to but don't want to haul around at any given moment.