PDA

View Full Version : Can Xykon regenerate his lower half without his phylactery?

Gift Jeraff
2013-07-14, 11:13 PM
Regenerate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/regenerate.htm) has no effect on undead, and I couldn't find a negative energy equivalent with a quick skim through Libris Mortis and some Googling. Though a homebrewed spell would be perfectly acceptable.

I suppose there's also Miracle, but I suspect Rich is going to avoid bringing that and it's arcane/psionics equivalents into the plot (except in the hands of someone like the MitD). Plus, there's the possibility that Redcloak can't cast it due to the Dark One's "pantheon" having no official territory for divine intervention (except maybe Gobbotopia now?).

Or will Xykon like it?

Porthos
2013-07-14, 11:17 PM
Regenerate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/regenerate.htm) has no effect on undead, and I couldn't find a negative energy equivalent with a quick skim through Libris Mortis and some Googling. Though a homebrewed spell would be perfectly acceptable.

I suppose there's also Miracle, but I suspect Rich is going to avoid bringing that and it's arcane/psionics equivalents into the plot (except in the hands of someone like the MitD). Plus, there's the possibility that Redcloak can't cast it due to the Dark One's "pantheon" having no official territory for divine intervention (except maybe Gobbotopia now?).

Or will Xykon like it?

He seemed to think that losing his head would only 'moderately inconvenience him' (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0114.html).

:roach: So maybe he has a way to.... pull himself back together. :smallamused:

Steward
2013-07-14, 11:35 PM
Honestly, you could probably put him back together with some duct tape and some gooey negative energy.

Gift Jeraff
2013-07-14, 11:35 PM
He seemed to think that losing his head would only 'moderately inconvenience him' (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0114.html).

:roach: So maybe he has a way to.... pull himself back together. :smallamused:

True, but I was thinking in that instance he could just place his skull back on his spine. Nothing seemed to snap or crack (or pop). Now some of his bones might be in tiny pieces.

SavageWombat
2013-07-14, 11:51 PM
Rules-wise - he's not dead, so he's not regenerating. He needs Redcloak to hit him with a Harm spell. Presumably the "scattering" is humorous cosmetic damage.

If he were dead, his soul will return to the (real) phylactery, wherever it is. Then his body would inhabit the nearest corpse, iirc. In the comic it became "growing his body back".

Kornaki
2013-07-15, 01:17 AM
He doesn't seem concerned enough for someone that just took serious permanent harm, but he is Xykon. Most people are expecting him to die at some point to make some awkward moments between Xykon and Redcloak, if it came about because Xykon told Redcloak to kill him so he could regenerate, that would only make it more delicious

factotum
2013-07-15, 01:53 AM
If he were dead, his soul will return to the (real) phylactery, wherever it is. Then his body would inhabit the nearest corpse, iirc. In the comic it became "growing his body back".

The SRD says that a lich reappears 1d10 days after its apparent death and doesn't go into any detail as to how that actually happens, so the way it's shown in the comic is as reasonable as any other. Having said that, if the phylactery DID rely on a nearby corpse to be able to recreate the lich, you'd have thought it would be mentioned (e.g. best look for the lich's phylactery at a graveyard, guys!), and it's not.

coineineagh
2013-07-15, 04:13 AM
I noticed that Redcloak's amulet is diamond shape, so I think it's not the real phylactery. Perhaps it's hidden in some dark place, so for a while Xykon won't realize the difference between that and his Astral Plane fortress if he were to return to it. Just speculation.

Having said that, if the phylactery DID rely on a nearby corpse to be able to recreate the lich, you'd have thought it would be mentioned (e.g. best look for the lich's phylactery at a graveyard, guys!), and it's not.
I doubt the Astral Plane would be a good place to hide your phylactery if you need a nearby corpse to recover your body. Then again, Xykon could easily have chosen a handsome skeleton to adorn a wall...

karkus
2013-07-15, 05:47 AM
Libris Mortis had a spell that was basically the opposite of Regenerate, though I forget the name. I think it was Necromancy, too, so it could pretty easily be homebrewed to have the same effect on undead.

EDIT: Also, it doesn't matter yet. Xykon has Overland Flight on himself.

dtilque
2013-07-15, 06:18 AM
I noticed that Redcloak's amulet is diamond shape, so I think it's not the real phylactery. Perhaps it's hidden in some dark place, so for a while Xykon won't realize the difference between that and his Astral Plane fortress if he were to return to it. Just speculation.

That dark place is Redcloak's bag of holding. Or at least that's the last place we've seen it.

Copperdragon
2013-07-15, 09:08 AM
Maybe this is his art upgrade?

Overland flight should last him 24 hours (1 hour per level) so maybe this is what he is going to be now? I say he deserved that upgrade, he's looking even more badass now.

And if you want to be silly, you can now say he transformed himself into a half-lich, so he's already 50% on his way to Demi. :smalltongue:

SaintRidley
2013-07-15, 09:22 AM
And if you want to be silly, you can now say he transformed himself into a half-lich, so he's already 50% on his way to Demi. :smalltongue:

But if he's a half-lich, he has to be half something else, too. Is he a half-lich half dragon, a half-lich half-dragon? Something else?

Maybe Xykon's actually Enor in disguise and he's a half-lich half-dragon half-ogre.

karkus
2013-07-15, 09:37 AM
I forgot how to add multiple templates together... :smalleek:

http://evilengineering.com/gallery/d/38658-2/mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

Copperdragon
2013-07-15, 10:08 AM
But if he's a half-lich, he has to be half something else, too. Is he a half-lich half dragon, a half-lich half-dragon? Something else?

No, a demi-lich is also "half" but nothing else. I guess if Liches are not "full", then the other half is just dead?

Sir_Leorik
2013-07-15, 10:30 AM
Redcloak will just needs to hit Xykon with a harm spell and Xykon's extremities will pop back into existence. Of course Redcloak is a bit busy trying to murder Roy right now...

F.Harr
2013-07-15, 02:11 PM
Honestly, you could probably put him back together with some duct tape and some gooey negative energy.

The handy-man's secret weapon. The duck-tape, not the negative energy.

I forgot how to add multiple templates together... :smalleek:

Well, you start with a snail. . .

RadagastTheBrow
2013-07-15, 03:47 PM

Maybe Xykon's actually Enor in disguise and he's a half-lich half-dragon half-ogre.

Well, if someone dispels Overland Flight, he'll certainly be reduced to draggin' something.

raymundo
2013-07-15, 05:50 PM
Your puns are terrible. And with terrible I mean awesome.

I guess he just won't care, since all he needs is a finger to rain death on everything. Legs are just unnecessary at this point

Werbaer
2013-07-15, 06:52 PM
Maybe this is his art upgrade?
It's his backup holy symbol (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0662.html).

After he crushed the resistance, you can see both at once (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0828.html).

nyjastul69
2013-07-15, 08:36 PM
:xykon: Xykon half-lich now, other half...missing.

Copperdragon
2013-07-16, 02:19 AM
It's his backup holy symbol (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0662.html)

I'm talking about Xykon. :smallwink:

karkus
2013-07-16, 09:42 PM
The handy-man's secret weapon. The duck-tape, not the negative energy.

Although there's that too.

I'm talking about Xykon. :smallwink:

*snaps fingers and points in one fluid motion* :smallbiggrin:

jedipilot24
2013-07-16, 10:16 PM
Libris Mortis had a spell that was basically the opposite of Regenerate, though I forget the name. I think it was Necromancy, too, so it could pretty easily be homebrewed to have the same effect on undead.

I just checked; the closest I could find is Revive Undead but that's essentially the undead equivalent of Raise Dead. However, there is a spell called Spark of Life that allows Undead to be healed by positive energy spells.

137beth
2013-07-17, 05:29 AM
The reason there are few negative energy effects which mimic healing effects for undead is because players were normally assumed not to be playing undead, and so the designers did not want to include too many spells which are only useful for undead. From the DM's perspective, you can always make up a spell called "regenerate for undead" with essentially no work, so there was no reason to waste ink on it. In a campaign where the players are undead, such spells can and should be made available to the PCs--you are playing a type of campaign that the designers didn't account for, so you need to do some development of character options on your own.

If the BBEG is an undead who loses some limbs, then the DM can and should use Regenerate For Undead at some point--there's no reason for such a spell not to exist, there was just no reason to print it in books intended for non-undead players.

Olinser
2013-07-17, 11:29 AM

Or will Xykon like it?

In 901, Xykon clearly states he will regrow his legs.

Gift Jeraff
2013-07-17, 11:46 AM
And that, as they say, is that.

ellindsey
2013-07-17, 01:44 PM
Can the Order do anything with the legbones he's leaving behind? Magically, is there any use for fragments of a still-living lich, especially for purposes of making a weapon to use against that lich? I expect that if so, it would probably be Malack who would know how.

F.Harr
2013-07-17, 02:08 PM
Can the Order do anything with the legbones he's leaving behind? Magically, is there any use for fragments of a still-living lich, especially for purposes of making a weapon to use against that lich? I expect that if so, it would probably be Malack who would know how.

They can make dominos. Dice. Mah-jongg tiles. Drum-sticks. Chopsticks. Hairpins. Combs. You know, that sort of thing?

brionl
2013-07-17, 05:20 PM
If the BBEG is an undead who loses some limbs, then the DM can and should use Regenerate For Undead at some point--there's no reason for such a spell not to exist, there was just no reason to print it in books intended for non-undead players.

Or you could just say that negative energy healing for undead includes regrowing appropriate limbs.

Ash_Gazn
2013-07-17, 06:40 PM
Presumably the "scattering" is humorous cosmetic damage.

He lost his legs, not his arms. :-D

GreatWyrmGold
2013-07-19, 10:31 AM
I'm pretty sure there is. If nothing else, they could make one of Xykon's bones into something humiliating. Shame he found his pelvis, I bet Belkar would have loved to turn that into a toilet seat.

137beth
2013-07-19, 12:55 PM
Well it could be useful for scrying on Xykon...
if he didn't have a really high will save, they didn't already know exactly where Xykon was, and scrying weren't really easy to block...