PDA

View Full Version : Love Hurts

Ace Nex
2013-07-15, 12:18 AM
To be more specific, I want to weaponize love. Like, manifest love in the form of a giant cannon, or use it to increase a spells firepower. Say for example, the character is next to a character he loves, and then uses this "love magic" to augment and further empower their abilities. Is there anything like that in D&D?

Valthonis
2013-07-15, 12:25 AM
Well in the Book of Vile Darkness, there is a level 3 Corrupt spell called Love's Pain. It deals 1d6 damage/level (max 10d6) to your target's closest friend/loved one....though that's probably the opposite kind of thing that you are looking for. :smallbiggrin:

Nettlekid
2013-07-15, 12:41 AM
Well, many morale bonuses could be fluffed this way. A Bard could Inspire Courage by singing a ballad to his beloved.

The Celebrant of Sharess from Player's Guide to Faerun has Flirtations, which work a bit like Bardic Music, but are described as being romantic and sexual in suggestion. She can even Inspire Love in her target. But that's more Enchantment-y than proper love.

Some Exalted things, like feats such as Nymph's Kiss or the item Distilled Joy, imply love, although it's not mechanically part of it. Technically Lichloved should also count, but that's icky.

I think the closest thing to what you're looking for is the Heartwarder, from Faiths and Pantheons. It's still a bit Enchantment-y, but it's much more earnest. You get Cha boosts, the ability to kiss people to give them bonuses, can cry Love Potion, and eventually turn into a Fey.

Come to think of it, there are probably a lot of Fey things that have to do with love. And if all else fails, check out the Book of Erotic Fantasy. 3rd party, but that's got "love" stuff in it for sure.

mabriss lethe
2013-07-15, 12:41 AM
You might be able to refluff and monkeywrench some incarnum rules to cover it.

Slipperychicken
2013-07-15, 12:59 AM
Well in the Book of Vile Darkness, there is a level 3 Corrupt spell called Love's Pain. It deals 1d6 damage/level (max 10d6) to your target's closest friend/loved one....though that's probably the opposite kind of thing that you are looking for. :smallbiggrin:

1. Mindrape some random a-hole Commoner or whatever so that your target becomes his dearest loved one. If the target is your own dearest loved one or closest friend (like some cheating/backstabbing girlfriend), you may simply cast Love's Pain spell on yourself.

2. Cast Love's Pain on the Commoner (or create an automatic resetting trap of it, which you trigger against the Commoner). This deals a few d6 of no-save no-SR damage to the Commoner's dearest loved one.

3. If the target has not taken enough no-save damage, go to 2. Otherwise, go to 4.

4. Congratulations. You used extremely evil magic to hurt or kill someone. You bastard.

ArcturusV
2013-07-15, 01:08 AM
Oddly from the OP I was thinking of the Hadoken...

Thurbane
2013-07-15, 02:25 AM
I'm sure the BoEF has some rules for increasing the potency of spells with "love"...in fact, I'm pretty sure there's a whole PrC based around the concept.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-07-15, 04:59 AM
Sadly I don't think d&d has added much in this regard outside of what others have already suggested.

My advice if you re-skin it.
If Bard gain the feat that allows you to do it swiftly or as a move action and treat that as a boost.

If more passive, you can argue the feats and abilities you have are largely inspired by your partner.
Or just have each character have more passive abilities like the paladin variant which lets you add your CHA saving throw boosts to allies instead. If it's a 2 player campaign the players can just use it on one another and the source is from the love.

Or homebrew a trait or something.

Like: +1 CL, BAB, Saving Throws and skill checks per 5 levels when closed to a loved one. Take -2 to these per 5 levels when away from them.

^I doubt that's too balanced if at all, it's just meant to be a quick example.

Or just nerf things like buff spells or passive buffs, if they normally affect multiple say they just effect the certain character they love. But make it a fair trade with say extra feats or something cause it's essentially like taking a flaw or class variant.

Tokiko Mima
2013-07-15, 07:02 AM
If the target is your own dearest loved one or closest friend (like some cheating/backstabbing girlfriend), you may simply cast Love's Pain spell on yourself.

It could probably be argued that once you get to the point of wanting to hurt or kill someone, you don't actually love them anymore (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWD5gdpt4Dw). I mean, aside from some very specific and ultra extreme BDSM deal.

Slipperychicken
2013-07-15, 10:57 AM
It could probably be argued that once you get to the point of wanting to hurt or kill someone, you don't actually love them anymore (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWD5gdpt4Dw). I mean, aside from some very specific and ultra extreme BDSM deal.

I was mostly imagining an incredibly unhealthy or stalker-ish relationship, the caster being a total nutcase, or if you need to kill your dearest loved one to protect him/her from some fate worse than death.

For example, if someone was going to steal your kid's soul, turn him into a Vampire, or feed him to a Barghest (which devours souls IIRC), he might well be better off dead, especially if he has a good afterlife lined up.

Valwyn
2013-07-15, 11:18 AM
There's the Cooperative Spell feat. It adds +2 to the DC of the spell and +1 to bypass SR per adjacent caster. You could fluff it as the Power of Love, or the Power of Friendship.

You could also try Love's Lament (Champions of Ruin), which gives a -1 penalty to Listen checks, 1d6 Wisdom damage, and 1d4 rounds of nausea (probably not what you'r looking for). Love's Bite (Champions of Valor) can be used to deliver a signal via "kissing" or to deliver a touch spell and cause 1 extra point of damage. Lastai's Caress (Book of Exalted Deeds) can fill an evil creature with love to make it either cower, frightened, nauseated, or shaken.

Also, you could use friendship speeches (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eWPpDjiILlM#t=354s). ^^

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-15, 11:20 AM
I was mostly imagining an incredibly unhealthy or stalker-ish relationship, the caster being a total nutcase, or if you need to kill your dearest loved one to protect him/her from some fate worse than death.

For example, if someone was going to steal your kid's soul, turn him into a Vampire, or feed him to a Barghest (which devours souls IIRC), he might well be better off dead, especially if he has a good afterlife lined up.

Oh, D&D morality. What a tease!

It's an interesting niche case, but, as in all cases where one is imagining using an explicitly [evil] something to avoid an even more evil something, one should probably think a bit harder and find another way.:smallwink:

ArqArturo
2013-07-15, 12:52 PM

But I thought Hadoken drained the world of love.

Telonius
2013-07-15, 01:22 PM
There's probably something for this in BoEF, but I'm at work at the moment.

ArcturusV
2013-07-15, 01:55 PM
To be more specific, I want to weaponize love. Like, manifest love in the form of a giant cannon, or use it to increase a spells firepower. Say for example, the character is next to a character he loves, and then uses this "love magic" to augment and further empower their abilities. Is there anything like that in D&D?

The bolded part is what made me think of the Hadoken. If I remember correctly Sosa from Nuklear Power did the Black Mage PrC, which had the Hadoken as a scaling 1/day SLA doing damage to everything within 5 + 5/level wide, 200 + 50/level in a line from the Black Mage.

Maginomicon
2013-07-15, 02:03 PM
The Nymph's Kiss feat implies that your love and the fact that you maintain that love is what provides the feat's benefit. That's probably the closest universal equivalent you can get that anyone can take.

kreenlover
2013-07-15, 03:50 PM
But I think we can all agree that unless you re-fluff something you are not going to make D&D love hurt. This is more some situation benefit that the DM should give you once a game if at all.

However, unlike D&D love, real world love hurts a lot, and can leave you curled into the fetal position sobbing for days at a time. Seems sorta like a Permanent Symbol of Pain.

mabriss lethe
2013-07-15, 05:22 PM
Instead of incarnum, I'm going to backtrack and vote for a refluffed Barbarian. "I LOVE YOUUUUUUUU!" *Smack* Instead of Rage, you replace it with "Psycho stalker mode."

Bonus points if you manage to make it a grappler build.

Act like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg6iMDfOl9E)

Clistenes
2013-07-15, 06:57 PM

I was thinking of Black Mage too. :smallbiggrin:

chainer1216
2013-07-15, 07:06 PM
someone just finished watching G gundam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEdL7CoEES0