PDA

View Full Version : Lycanthrope question

Zsaber0
2013-07-15, 06:08 AM
In an Antimagic zone, is the would the character be forced back into human form(if he started out human) or would the field just cancel out his ability to shift forms?

This stems from something I sort of remember where if you look at a Lycanthrope with True Sight, you see all 3 of their forms since they are all his true from. But I can't seem to find this or did I hallucinate it all?

sleepyphoenixx
2013-07-15, 06:13 AM
Since a Lycanthropes Alternate Form is a (Su) ability it doesn't function in a AMF.
Also, the animal and hybrid form are part of the Alternate Form ability so you are forced back into humanoid form.
Under True Seeing you see the humanoid form since it's the original form.

TuggyNE
2013-07-15, 07:19 AM
Basically, lycanthrope shifting works just like the standard Alternate Form (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm), so you use all the same rules for that: the base human/giant form is the true one, active use of an Su ability is suppressed in an AMF, and so on and so forth.

Yogibear41
2013-07-15, 09:18 AM
I was under the impression that you simply couldn't change form and were stuck in whatever form you entered the zone in.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-07-15, 09:28 AM
I was under the impression that you simply couldn't change form and were stuck in whatever form you entered the zone in.

That's something you'll have to take up with your DM.
Technically the animal and hybrid form are part of the Alternate Form ability and are thus suppressed.
At least that's the common interpretation i have seen.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-07-15, 02:17 PM
Though not RAW I prefer to use this interpretation for my own setting for a lycanthrope I consider the magic to be changing forms not maintaining it again not RAW.

TuggyNE
2013-07-15, 07:50 PM

That's not the case by RAW, no; the alternate forms are part of an Su ability (so are suppressed), your form reverts to its true form when killed (so there's no ontological inertia there), and true seeing reveals only your true form (so it's clear that at any time you have a true form and a form you're currently in).