PDA

View Full Version : I just bought Tactics Ogre....I think

Seharvepernfan
2013-07-15, 04:35 PM
I ordered a playstation version of Tatics Ogre from amazon, and I'm confused as to what I actually got.

It has this (http://s.uvlist.net/l/y2006/06/22075.jpg) cover, and the case is one of the "more-than-one-disc" cases, but it only has one disc. The spot where the other disc would be doesn't even have the little circle that the discs pop on to...so why the large case?

The box says 1997 on it, but I can't find anything on the net about any Tactics Ogre games released in 97.

I thought I was buying this (http://199.101.98.242/media/shots/37654-Tactics_Ogre_-_Let_Us_Cling_Together_%5BU%5D-1.jpg)...can anyone straighten this out for me and tell me what's up?

Grinner
2013-07-15, 04:43 PM
The original SNES version of Let Us Cling Together wasn't released in '97, but the Playstation version was.

Seharvepernfan
2013-07-15, 06:27 PM
So the one I bought is Let Us Cling Together?

Tono
2013-07-15, 06:29 PM
Link us the Amazon Page?

Seharvepernfan
2013-07-15, 06:38 PM
It's the one from the first link in my first post.

Grinner
2013-07-15, 06:44 PM
So the one I bought is Let Us Cling Together?

There's only been two Tactics Ogre games, and the other one was exclusive to the Gameboy Advance. I'd assume so.

Have you tried playing it?

Seharvepernfan
2013-07-15, 06:50 PM
Have you tried playing it?

No, that would be too easy.

I was just making sure I didn't get some crappy spin-off game on accident.

Grinner
2013-07-15, 07:09 PM
I was just making sure I didn't get some crappy spin-off game on accident.

Tactics Ogre is part of the Ogre Battle series. It is the spin-off.

T.G. Oskar
2013-07-15, 07:30 PM
You got the real one. I recall it well because I played it around that time in my PSX, and I recall very well it had that title and that huge box.

Just to point out: there's only two official Tactics Ogre games. One's Let Us Cling Together, which was released on the SNES, re-released in the PSX (the version you got, which was released in America), and the remake in the PSP (with all the new goodies, but some changes I consider unfortunate). The other, as mentioned by Grinner, is a GBA game (the Knight of Lodis).
And a semi-prequel to TO: LUCT
That, alongside the other three Ogre Battle games (the March of the Black Queen for the SNES and re-released on PSX, Person of Lordly Caliber for the N64 and Legend of the Zenobian Prince for the Neo-Geo and yet unreleased over here) are the ONLY games of the series ever released. By definition, you either get Ogre Battle or Tactics Ogre, and they're pretty easy to distinguish.

My impression is that: a) the second pic is a fake, b) the second pic was an alternate cover that was scrapped before it was released (note that the real one has the "T" rating by the ESRB, while the second pic has the "E" rating, and the game definitely inclines toward a Teen rating), or c) it might be the manual of the game.

Also: both Ogre Battle games for the PSX are great. You need not worry about them sucking, though Ogre Battle is a bit more difficult (it's not a Tactical RPG but a Strategy game).

Anteros
2013-07-16, 12:26 AM
The second picture is either from the back of the box or the manual. That's the game though. I have the same thing.

Seharvepernfan
2013-07-16, 02:58 AM
I didn't know about the Ogre Battle series.

Anyway, sweet, thanks people, that really clears it up for me! :smallsmile:

Calemyr
2013-07-16, 03:42 PM
I remember the PSX version of Tactics Ogre. An awesome game. Tried playing March of the Black Queen (SNES Ogre Battle game), but never really got into it - the plot was too indirect, as were the character controls. Tactics Ogre took the Tactics genre and did something spectacular with it. Interesting characters, a multi-path plot with legitimate and meaningful moral choices, a good (albeit now dated) class system, a long and (sort of) justified bonus dungeon, and an ending that ties up issues pretty well for most major characters.

It should be in a double-size case, even if it's only one disc. This is because, like some other games, the game book was too large to conveniently fit into a single-size case.

If you have a PSP, the Tactics Ogre port for that is a very good (but very different) alternative. The class system is very different (and unique), with new characters and classes, as well as an additional finale to tie up a few remaining plot points and recruit some fan favorites. It also has a Chrono-Cross like story structure, where after you win you can jump back to previous points in the story and play down different paths while keeping the characters from previous ones, ultimately recruiting every unique character in the game if you explore every angle. That said, the PSP port is very different and a lot of people didn't care for it. I liked it, though.

Anteros
2013-07-16, 04:51 PM
I did not like the way they dumbed down the class system for the psp port at all. I was really excited for it after playing the excellent FFT port, and TO being my favorite game of all time...but it just wasn't as good.

Seharvepernfan
2013-07-16, 05:04 PM
Aw, I would have liked to have the book.

Calemyr
2013-07-16, 05:48 PM
Aw, I would have liked to have the book.

For all its size, there wasn't really much in it. A lot of tutorial on the game, but only descriptions on the original trio of characters: Denam, Kachua, and Vice. Not much even there: Kachua and Denam lost their father, Vice wishes he had, and all of them blame the Bakram nation, which is the functional leader of the island/continent.

Anteros: Like I said, there are mixed (but strong) reviews. I like the increased versatility of the main characters (Canopus could become a buccaneer or a real archer, Denam and Ozma could become White Knights, Kachua could be any of the classes unique to her at any time...), I liked the additional characters such as Ravness and Azelstan, and I loved the fact that I could go back and explore another path without sacrificing my favorite characters.

I won't argue that the level system is pretty stupid. The fact that its the classes that have levels rather than the characters, that you can go from a level 15 knight to a level 1 buccaneer as the same person, is frustrating, but it does mean that it doesn't matter who you recruit, they're all on the equal ground at a given time.

I also really like the skill system. You can take two guys with the same stats and same class and they can evolve into VERY different things. It's a really nice touch.

But again, not for everyone. The PSX version is perfection in its simplicity.

T.G. Oskar
2013-07-16, 08:00 PM
I did not like the way they dumbed down the class system for the psp port at all. I was really excited for it after playing the excellent FFT port, and TO being my favorite game of all time...but it just wasn't as good.

I'm disappointed for different reasons.

While I like what they did with melee characters, making even lowly Soldiers pretty useful, I dislike how they broke the distinctions between genders. Some still exist (the basic Mage class is still Wizard for males and Witch/Enchantress for females), other classes should have remained exclusive. I speak, mostly, of how Valkyries got a male counterpart (Rune Fencers? Really?), or how some boosts to classes got somewhat shafted (Knight, I'm looking at you...)

I wouldn't say that what captivated me from the original version of TO:LUCT is the simplicity, but rather how each class had its purpose, and how each class was necessary to build an effective team. The intentionally narrow classes made it imperative to know the key tricks of each class. Some got badly shafted in the original version (the Knight is the main culprit, as the Berserker offers more defense and damage, the Dragoon wears the same armor and gets magic on the mix, and the Terror Knight...well, that fear aura is brutal), while others get their abilities blurred so badly, they no longer make sense (why get a Wizard or an Enchantress if you can eventually always evolve it into a Warlock or Siren...which, BTW, is now called Witch...as the latter can use the summon spells that the former can't and you still get the ability to turn TP into MP by learning it from the earlier class).

However, the real irk is how some of the special classes got busted into some degree of nothingness. The Wanderer in the original version was pretty awesome, because it combined aspects of two of the three top melee classes (Swordmaster and Dragoon) and it was exclusive to Vice/Vyce, but now it lacks spellcasting and isn't as original (Canopus can use it, as well as one of the new NPCs). The White Knights' unique swords are now pretty common (VERY disappointing), the Priest(ess) class is now exclusive to one character (which leaves people like Presance, Orias/Oelias and the hammer-wielding former-Priest-and-now-Cleric somewhat unoriginal), and one of the new key NPCs (Cressida) has her class be a generic one (really, WHAT!?). Oh yeah, and the Princess...ugh...

I'm kind of a buff for class systems, and I find the PSP remake of Tactics Ogre to reshuffle the class system so badly that it hurts. They tried to mangle really badly the changes they added from the GBA game (such as Knights becoming able to use Holy/Divine magic; Clerics, Archers and Ninjas are available to both classes), but others got lost for no reason (Swordmasters, IIRC, lack the ability to make two attacks as Ninjas do, Warlocks have no ability to create temporary magic weapons as in the GBA version).

All in all, the redubbing is great, the story is now a bit more cruel (though the original is still pretty cruel), and I love some of the changes, but I'd love a bit more that the class system was revamped almost from the ground up. In every tactical game, building characters should be just as fun as following the story.

Anteros
2013-07-17, 08:29 PM
I think I may have to dig out my PSX emulator and play some T.O. because of this thread. I've still got the original disc, but it's just a lot more convenient to play on the emulator since you can speed up the animation and there are no load screens.

Also: built in cheat system for when you get bored and want to change people's classes or other silliness.

Speaking of which...to the topic creator... http://luct.tacticsogre.com/ is a great resource if you have any questions about the game. Just stay out of the spoiler sections. :smallbiggrin:

LansXero
2013-07-18, 11:35 AM
Does anyone know if they ever finished the Manga? I got up to Volume 4, and right when it was getting to the fight between Barbas and Lans... it ended :(

Anteros
2013-07-20, 08:34 PM
Does anyone know if they ever finished the Manga? I got up to Volume 4, and right when it was getting to the fight between Barbas and Lans... it ended :(

I've never seen past volume 2 anywhere. I was never particularly interested in it anyway since it followed the lawful route though. Lawful Denim is too evil/selfish for me to really identify with.

LansXero
2013-07-20, 08:36 PM
I've never seen past volume 2 anywhere. I was never particularly interested in it anyway since it followed the lawful route though. Lawful Denim is too evil/selfish for me to really identify with.

Aloser :(

I also think Chaos route wouldve been more interesting, but I guess Lawful is also cannon?

Anteros
2013-07-20, 10:49 PM
I don't think there is a real cannon ending. My preference would be the "hidden" chaos frame ending if I had to pick.