PDA

View Full Version : Animal Companionless Druid (3.5)

Icarion
2013-07-15, 05:58 PM
Greetings Mighty Playgrounders!

I seek some opnions on regard a companionless druid ( no animal thingy :smalltongue: )
I was wandering what do you think is the most optimized variant to get rid of it.
Thnx for your opinions!

Humble Master
2013-07-15, 06:03 PM
Well looking at the variant from Unearthed Arcana, Druidic Avenger, I would say keep the animal companion. Druidic Avenger gets you three Barbarian class features: Rage, Fast Movement and Tireless Rage. None of them make up for the fact that you don't have an animal companion.

danzibr
2013-07-15, 06:14 PM
Well looking at the variant from Unearthed Arcana, Druidic Avenger, I would say keep the animal companion. Druidic Avenger gets you three Barbarian class features: Rage, Fast Movement and Tireless Rage. None of them make up for the fact that you don't have an animal companion.
If he specifically doesn't want one then that's a fine ACF: you get something decent for something you don't want.

TheSunKing
2013-07-15, 06:15 PM
Another cool options is this:
Shapeshifter (PHB 2, p 39): Lose animal companion and wildshape. Gain the ability to change into several forms, with set bonuses, at will.

(found this and many other variants here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872054/Alternative_Class_Features_III))

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-15, 06:27 PM
If the OP is interested in possibly playing a shifter druid (shifters introduced in MM3 and the Eberron Campaign Setting), then I can report some nice results from using the Shifter Druid Racial Substitution Level that swaps the Animal Companion class feature for the Beast Spirit class feature. Beast Spirit gives some nice benefits, particularly for a druid interested in summoning, and has some excellent flavor for a shifter.

I'd also indicate that there are a couple Animal Companion substitutes, like the Phynxkin Companion in Dragon Magic, and the Elemental Companion, which I think was introduced in Complete Mage. The Elemental Companion is particularly nice, because the elemental is smart enough to do complicated stuff by verbal command, and to take care of itself when the druid can't afford to bring it along (and it can survive indefinitely inside some kind of extradimensional space, as it doesn't breathe, drink, or eat...it might not be very happy with that kind of treatment, though.:smallwink:).

Kuulvheysoon
2013-07-15, 06:28 PM
I like the Beast Spirit ACF for Shifter Druids, myself. Especially combined with Moonspeaker.

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-15, 06:33 PM
Ah, I did forget to mention Moonspeaker. A very nicely done PrC, one of the few druid PrC that can keep up with standard druid kickassedness. Also, can make for one completely sick summoner, even without the standard feat combos for a druid summoner.

All this stuff is from Races of Eberron, by the way.

Icarion
2013-07-15, 06:50 PM
Thnx guys, awesome feedback ! (Y)