PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] A Wizard in distress

BeserkerNike
2013-07-15, 06:56 PM
Well today my friend invited me to play DnD 3.5 i haven't played it in a long time and i never played a wizard so i went Wizard 7 levels/Loremaster 2 levels so my question is should i prestige into Arch-Mage or should i go Loremaster all the way and then go Arch-Mage
The only books allowed is Player's handbook and the prestige from DM's Guide

Zanos
2013-07-15, 07:05 PM
An Archmage needs to be able to cast 7th level spells, so you can't qualify until level 13 anyway. That said, Archmage is an excellent class to dip a couple of levels, so you can dip a level or two of Archmage if there's some high arcana ability you really want and then finish out your other PrC.

ahenobarbi
2013-07-16, 04:49 AM
Archmage is good but not all High Arcana are good:
Arcane Fire - you'll do better casting spells.
Arcane Reach - good but not for your environment.
Mastery of counterspelling - meh.
Mastery of Elements - good if you're blasting.
Mastery of Shapes - good.
Spell Power - ok.
Spell like ability - great. Just remember to get high level spells (the higher the better).

BeserkerNike
2013-07-16, 07:59 AM
An Archmage needs to be able to cast 7th level spells, so you can't qualify until level 13 anyway. That said, Archmage is an excellent class to dip a couple of levels, so you can dip a level or two of Archmage if there's some high arcana ability you really want and then finish out your other PrC.
Well i am currently level 12 because we pulled cards from the deck of many things and i got lucky and got 50k xp.We will probably dabble into epic levels with this campaign so i will most probably go Wizard 7/Loremaster 10/ArchMage 3 and i will pick two more levels when i am in epic levels

Archmage is good but not all High Arcana are good:
Arcane Fire - you'll do better casting spells.
Arcane Reach - good but not for your environment.
Mastery of counterspelling - meh.
Mastery of Elements - good if you're blasting.
Mastery of Shapes - good.
Spell Power - ok.
Spell like ability - great. Just remember to get high level spells (the higher the better).
I was thinking of getting Mastery of counterspelling,Arcane Reach,Mastery of Elements,Spell Power and Arcane Reach/Spell like ability

and when (if) the campaign reaches epic levels i will most probably take levels in
Cosmic Descryer and Agent Retriever
and if there is a Epic Level Archmage progress please send me the link thanks :)

ahenobarbi
2013-07-16, 09:06 AM
I was thinking of getting Mastery of counterspelling,Arcane Reach,Mastery of Elements,Spell Power and Arcane Reach/Spell like ability

All good, but consider how you want to use them? Mastery of Counterpselling is useless unless you do counterspell. And many say it's better to cast spells yourself then to counterspell. However with Ring of Spellbattle this may be quite decent.

How would you use Arcane Reach? As far as I know it's good way to make spell persistable, but poor choice other than that.

and when (if) the campaign reaches epic levels i will most probably take levels in
Cosmic Descryer and Agent Retriever
and if there is a Epic Level Archmage progress please send me the link thanks :)

I don't think there is Epic Archmage - only 10-level long PrCs get epic progression.

BeserkerNike
2013-07-16, 09:12 AM
All good, but consider how you want to use them? Mastery of Counterpselling is useless unless you do counterspell. And many say it's better to cast spells yourself then to counterspell. However with Ring of Spellbattle this may be quite decent.

How would you use Arcane Reach? As far as I know it's good way to make spell persistable, but poor choice other than that.

I don't think there is Epic Archmage - only 10-level long PrCs get epic progression.

Then i will drop the counterspell and you never know when the arcane reach will come in handy if you have melee touch spells
and i am not quite sure what epic PrC should i pick if we reach epic levels Cosmic Descryer or Agent Retriever or both could you give me your opinion on them
Edit: What does the Ring of Spellbattle do?

ahenobarbi
2013-07-16, 09:34 AM
Then i will drop the counterspell and you never know when the arcane reach will come in handy if you have melee touch spells

Just check there are spells which you will use Arcane Reach on :smallsmile:

and i am not quite sure what epic PrC should i pick if we reach epic levels Cosmic Descryer or Agent Retriever or both could you give me your opinion on them

I have no experience with epic levels, so I don't really know. I read epic spellcasting is totally broken so very few people play epic.

Edit: What does the Ring of Spellbattle do?

Once a day you can counterspell without readying action.