PDA

View Full Version : Trading Con for fast healing

Cheiromancer
2013-07-15, 07:49 PM
The fast healing was acquired through a particularly nasty group of spiders I created. They drain con with their poison, but replace it with a point of fast healing per con lost. Restoration/heal/etc clears both effects.

How much Constitution would your character give up in exchange for fast healing? My first impression of Baalthazaq's homebrew (besides "Cool!":smallcool:) was to think that it was a little too good. A character with an odd Con score could get fast healing 1 for no cost.

So let's suppose that 2 Con gives fast healing 1. Is this a good deal? It means 1 hp less per hit dice, and a -1 to Fort saves. However you automatically stabilize when at negative hit points and are independent of out of combat healing. No keeping track of those wands of cure light wounds! The biggest headache would be to getting the ability back after receiving high level cure spells. This makes it less valuable to high level characters- besides, they lose more hp, have more options for out of combat healing, and 1 hp/round isn't going to help them much in combat.

If it seems balanced, what should a dose of this venom cost? If it is too good, what would be a good tradeoff? 4 Con = fast healing 1? 6 Con? 8 Con?

Hanuman
2013-07-15, 07:58 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/ability-scores

Ability Damage: Damage to your Constitution score causes you to take penalties on your Fortitude saving throws. In addition, multiply your total Hit Dice by the Ability Damage penalty and subtract that amount from your current and total hit points. Lost hit points are restored when the damage to your Constitution is healed. See Ability Score Damage below.

Pathfinder con dmg is much nastier.

Kane0
2013-07-15, 08:08 PM
I personally would probably take Fast Healing 1 at the cost of 4 Con, and think very hard at 6 Con. One of those I think is the number you're looking for.

Erik Vale
2013-07-15, 08:31 PM
I might offer it for a 1:10 ration [thats 10 con, not 10 healing you munchkin].
As for how much i'd pay.... How much Con can I trade without risking loosing hit points as I level and have some sort of safety net against con drain?

Edit: And what level, fast healing 1 at level 1 is godly, it's chump change at level 10.

Morcleon
2013-07-15, 09:13 PM
I would take it at pretty much anything 4 or less. Anything above, and I would take it only if I could also have Faerie Mysteries Initiate. :smallwink:

Kornaki
2013-07-15, 09:18 PM
Hanuman, I think I've gone reading impaired - how is that different from 3.5?

Morcleon
2013-07-15, 09:22 PM
Hanuman, I think I've gone reading impaired - how is that different from 3.5?

That bit is the same as in 3.5.

Actually PF ability damage is less damaging than in 3.5. In PF, you take -1 to that ability's bonus for each 2 points. In 3.5, it depends on your actual score.

So if you had an even bonus in 3.5 and took one point of ability score damage, you would get a -1, since it knocks your score down to the next lowest bonus. But in PF, you wouldn't have a penalty since it will only give you it when you get two points.