PDA

View Full Version : Self-Return Mail Options

Mystic Muse
2013-07-15, 11:27 PM
I can't make it to the post office for a few days to ask this question, so I thought I'd ask the people here.

I'm sending some MtG cards to artists to get signed. However, most of them have a policy about packages they don't need to go to the post office to send back. In fact, the ones I've asked have all specifically asked for packages that are self-returning only. I'm curious what my options here are.

KuReshtin
2013-07-16, 05:03 AM
I can't make it to the post office for a few days to ask this question, so I thought I'd ask the people here.

I'm sending some MtG cards to artists to get signed. However, most of them have a policy about packages they don't need to go to the post office to send back. In fact, the ones I've asked have all specifically asked for packages that are self-returning only. I'm curious what my options here are.

How many cards are you sending?

Easiest way would be to put the cards into an unsealed box or envelope with your address written on it, and then place that box (or envelope) in a slightly larger box (or envelope) and then send that to the artist in question.
That way, they have all your correct address information, and you should be able to check with your local post office when you send it what the approximate postage would be for the return shipment.

theangelJean
2013-07-16, 07:11 AM
I actually wonder if the request is more about the size (and therefore convenience of posting) of the package rather than any preset send-it-back mechanism.

That is, the difference between "an item you can just put in an envelope, stick a stamp on and put in the nearest post box" and "an item you need to look up postage/buy a box for, or some other reason that you would need to visit a post office". I would think if someone sent them something bulky to sign, like a figurine or a canvas or a piece of clothing, that would put it in the second category, whereas single MtG card (or even a few) would be squarely in the first category. So you might not have to worry about it.

That said, it surely can't hurt to include a stamped, self-addressed envelope of the right size, like the poster above suggested. Although if you are sending things overseas to be signed then it probably isn't that easy, as you'd have to include enough postage for their postage system, and in the right stamp currency as well.

Taet
2013-07-16, 11:09 AM
The last time I researched this it was not possible for a home account to pay for normal foreign stamps. I had to buy collectible stamps because the post office had figured out that foreign buyers might want them, and use them as postage for the return envelope. Figuring out the postage needed online is easy. Maybe easy is not the word. Post office websites are not always good.

Or maybe they just want you to find and print out the USPS address bar code on any package so that they do not have to go to the post office counter to have it put on.