PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Bugbear PC

EmperorSkiratta
2013-07-15, 11:51 PM
Okay, so I'm new to this forum, and running a Dragonlance game in about two sessions with my group, which are about a month apart. We're trying to get stuff out of the way now, since it'll make it easier on us then.

One of my friends is playing a Bugbear Shaman. The shaman is a homebrew he found on one of the wikias out there, and was surprisingly balanced compared to most of the stuff I'd seen there in the past.

If interested, the shaman can be found here. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Shaman_(3.5e_Class))

Our problem right now is actually the race. Because of the way the Bugbear works, my friend will have to take three levels of humanoid, and we want to try and avoid that if at all possible to get him starting as a 1st-level Bugbear Shaman, with an ECL of either 1 or 2, depending on whether or not we can get rid of the LA.

Bugbear characters possess the following racial traits.

+4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma.
Medium size.
A bugbear’s base land speed is 30 feet.
Racial Hit Dice: A bugbear begins with three levels of humanoid, which provide 3d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +2, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +3, and Will +1.
Racial Skills: A bugbear’s humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 6 × (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Climb, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, and Spot.
Racial Feats: A bugbear’s humanoid levels give it two feats.
+3 natural armor bonus.
+4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks.
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., scent.
Automatic Languages: Common, Goblin. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Giant, Gnoll, Orc.
Favored Class: Rogue.
Level adjustment +1.

That's standard Bugbear. I'm thinking about changing it to:

+2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma.
Medium size.
A bugbear’s base land speed is 30 feet.
Racial Hit Dice: None, and no bonuses for race
Racial Skills: None, and no skill points for race
Racial Feats: No racial feats
+2 natural armor bonus.
+2 racial bonus on Move Silently checks.
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., scent.
Automatic Languages: Common, Goblin. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Giant, Gnoll, Orc.
Favored Class: Rogue.
Level adjustment +1.

That's what I'm looking at, but I'm actually not sure about whether or not to keep the level adjustment.

I'm also thinking about implementing something similar for Noble Draconians, since another of my friends already knew about them and was showing interest for a little while. I've actually given him the okay for a Warforged for now, though.

Cheiromancer
2013-07-16, 03:29 AM
The only thing that seems a little off is the scent ability. I'd make it available by a feat, not an automatic feature. I'd also try to put another minor disadvantage or two (besides the -2 Cha). I think that for LA to be bought off there ought to be a few drawbacks.

EmperorSkiratta
2013-07-16, 05:57 PM
I like the idea of Scent as a feat instead of automatic. I was thinking about also reducing the natural armor a little more. As for another disadvantage, I'm not sure what to put, actually.

EDIT: Okay, so my friend playing the Bugbear is willing to take the LA. We're going to use it as such, with Scent as a feat.

Cheiromancer
2013-07-17, 06:27 AM
I like the idea of Scent as a feat instead of automatic. I was thinking about also reducing the natural armor a little more. As for another disadvantage, I'm not sure what to put, actually.

EDIT: Okay, so my friend playing the Bugbear is willing to take the LA. We're going to use it as such, with Scent as a feat.

I think it is a nicely balanced race for LA+1. The strength bonus makes up for a point of lost BAB, and the Con bonus will eventually make up for a lost HD. If the character focuses on strength and dex based skills the bonuses there will make up for the lost skill points. Scent is nice to get, even as a feat. Darkvision is a nice plus. Even without LA buy off I think it pays for itself.