PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Ranger/Scout Fix (PEACH)

Kane0
2013-07-16, 12:00 AM
I had this lying around in an old excel document for a while, but this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15627790) has encouraged me to post it properly.

The Ranger
HP: d8
Skills: 6/level
Class Skills: All Class skills of the Ranger from the PHB and the Scout from Complete Adventurer

{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Fast Movement|Skirmish

1st|+1|+0|+2|+0| Favored Enemy, Track |-| +1d6
2nd|+2|+0|+3|+0| Uncanny Dodge | - | +1d6
3rd|+3|+1|+3|+1| Wild Empathy | - | +1d6, +1 AC
4th|+4|+1|+4|+1| Animal Companion, Spellcasting | - | +1d6, +1 AC
5th|+5|+2|+4|+1| Favored Enemy | 10' | +2d6, +1 AC
6th|+6/+1|+2|+5|+2| Evasion | 10' | +2d6, +1 AC
7th|+7/+2|+2|+5|+2| Harrier 2/Day | 10' | +2d6, +2 AC
8th|+8/+3|+2|+6|+2| Flawless Stride | 10' | +2d6, +2 AC
9th|+9/+4|+3|+6|+3| Camouflage | 20' | +3d6, +2 AC
10th|+10/+5|+3|+7|+3| Favored Enemy | 20' | +3d6, +2 AC
11th|+11/+6/+1|+3|+7|+3| Favored Skirmish | 20' | +3d6, +3 AC
12th|+12/+7/+2|+4|+8|+4| Harrier 4/Day | 20' | +3d6, +3 AC
13th|+13/+8/+3|+4|+8|+4| Improved Uncanny Dodge | 30' | +4d6, +3 AC
14th|+14/+9/+4|+4|+9|+4| Improved Evasion | 30' | +4d6, +3 AC
15th|+15/+10/+5|+5|+9|+5| Favored Enemy | 30' | +4d6, +4 AC
16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+5|+10|+5| Unerring Tracker | 30' | +4d6, +4 AC
17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+5| Harrier 6/Day | 40' | +5d6, +4 AC
18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+6| Hide in Plain Sight | 40' | +5d6, +4 AC
19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+6| Freedom of Movement | 40' | +5d6, +5 AC
20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+6| Favored Enemy, Practiced Harrier | 40' | +5d6, +5 AC
[/table]

Favored Enemy
Select a creature type. You gain a +1 per 4 Ranger levels to all attack rolls and skill checks against creatures of that type.

Track
You gain Track as a bonus feat.

Skirmish
You gain bonus damage and AC for one round any time you move 10' or more on your turn.

Uncanny Dodge
As the Rogue ability

Wild Empathy
Can improve the attitude of an animal in the same manner as a diplomacy check using the handle animal skill.

Animal Companion
As the Druid class feature. Effective Druid level is equal to Ranger level -3.

Spellcasting
As Ranger spellcasting

Fast Movement
Gain bonus indicated to movement speed.

Evasion
As the Rogue ability

Harrier
A number of times per day you may make a full attack as a standard action.

Flawless Stride
You can move through natural and difficult terrain with no penalty to movement speed.

Camouflage
You can use the hide skill in any sort of natural terrain.

Favored Skirmish
Skirmish damage you deal against a favored enemy ignores any immunity to critical hits and/or precision damage.

Improved Uncanny Dodge
As the Rogue ability

Improved Evasion
As the Rogue ability

Unerring Tracker
You can move at any speed, talk, and even fight without losing or incuring a penalty to track your quarry (only one creature at a time can be your quarry). Water imposes no penalty to track your quarry, a flying target a -10 penalty and a teleporting or plane-walking target a -20 penalty.

Hide in Plain Sight
You can use the Hide skill even while being observed.

Freedom of Movement
Constantly gain the benefits of the Freedom of Movement spell as an extraordinary ability.

Practiced Harrier
There is now no longer a limit to the number of times you can use your Harrier ability in a day.

ACF: Favored Terrain
Replaces: Favored Enemy
At any time you would gain the Favored Enemy class feature you can instead gain the Favored Terrain class feature (Pathfinder Ranger ability). The bonuses you gain for this ability equal +1 per 4 Ranger levels.

ACF: Fighting Style
Replaces: Fast Movement
At levels 5, 9, 13 and 17 you gain a fighter bonus feat.

And there we go. Not a huge boost in power but should be enticing enough to try.

Demidos
2013-07-16, 12:16 AM
Seems like you could make it easier for them to get pounce. Its not like skirmish is that strong.

Unerring Tracker is on the table at 20th, yet doesnt exist as an ability.

Generally, a capstone is nice, if only to prevent people from taking their first level as barbarian to get pounce and going from there.

Is there any particular reason you took out the fighting styles? They were a fair portion of the original ranger's flavor/power, as was its spellcasting (which is now an ACF). I feel like you could leave it in without much of a fuss.

There is no way fast movement is worth spellcasting. Just think -- use the already existing ACF that allows you to cast sor/wiz spells, and cast expeditious retreat -- that's fast movement right there, in a single spell.

Overall, not much of a boost in power. I feel like you could really take a minute to think what a ranger means to you, rather than just giving it a collection of random class features. Maybe you picture a paint-streaked celtic warrior type -- give them some sort of ability that gives them morale or fear bonuses from body paint, depending on the type/patterns of paint. Maybe its Aragorn from LOTR and his ability to fight with improvised weapons (a torch) in one hand, or his interactions with the elves. Give him bonuses when dealing with fey and negate improvised weapon penaties. Maybe its...Smokey the Bear, and allow the ranger the ability to dampen natural hazards? Whatever it is, make stuff up and roll with it. Try to make it memorable

Kane0
2013-07-16, 05:51 PM
Seems like you could make it easier for them to get pounce. Its not like skirmish is that strong.

True, but honestly I don't want to. I wasn't aiming at a certain tier or the ability to match a Pouncer, just a nice patch up for the Scout/Ranger

Unerring Tracker is on the table at 20th, yet doesnt exist as an ability.

OK, fixed that up. Unerring Tracker is at 16th, Practiced Harrier is at 20th.

Generally, a capstone is nice, if only to prevent people from taking their first level as barbarian to get pounce and going from there.

If one wants pounce or is focused on full attacks as a standard action there are better options in both official material and other homebrew. It's only there to make Skirmish more viable.

Is there any particular reason you took out the fighting styles? They were a fair portion of the original ranger's flavor/power, as was its spellcasting (which is now an ACF). I feel like you could leave it in without much of a fuss.

There is no way fast movement is worth spellcasting. Just think -- use the already existing ACF that allows you to cast sor/wiz spells, and cast expeditious retreat -- that's fast movement right there, in a single spell.

I was thinking longstrider would be more of a problem but point taken. I might leave spellcasting on by default and change the ACF to swap Fast movement for Bonus feats.

Overall, not much of a boost in power. I feel like you could really take a minute to think what a ranger means to you, rather than just giving it a collection of random class features. Maybe you picture a paint-streaked celtic warrior type -- give them some sort of ability that gives them morale or fear bonuses from body paint, depending on the type/patterns of paint. Maybe its Aragorn from LOTR and his ability to fight with improvised weapons (a torch) in one hand, or his interactions with the elves. Give him bonuses when dealing with fey and negate improvised weapon penaties. Maybe its...Smokey the Bear, and allow the ranger the ability to dampen natural hazards? Whatever it is, make stuff up and roll with it. Try to make it memorable

It was actually imagined as a Scout fix, but the Scout and Ranger overlap a lot already so I renamed it from Scout fix to Ranger fix. I suppose you could think of it as a combination of them both, a class version of Swift Hunter so to speak.

Demidos
2013-07-17, 02:27 AM
True, but honestly I don't want to. I wasn't aiming at a certain tier or the ability to match a Pouncer, just a nice patch up for the Scout/Ranger

It was actually imagined as a Scout fix, but the Scout and Ranger overlap a lot already so I renamed it from Scout fix to Ranger fix. I suppose you could think of it as a combination of them both, a class version of Swift Hunter so to speak.

Ah. Well in that case, you seem to have...err...modified it well?

Its a bit hard to fix/review with no set balance point in mind, no offense.