PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Resurrection!

Nettlekid
2013-07-16, 01:20 AM
Let's say you manage to mitigate the troublesome aspects of Resurrection (and later on, True Resurrection) like its casting time and expensive component, perhaps by use of Dweomerkeeper. Method is irrelevant, you just now have a means of bringing things back to life, for free (except for their level loss) and in a single turn. What are some of the most fun uses of this ability?

Something I was thinking of is, if they have any Dragoncraft items in their possession (Dragonfang Dagger, for example, or armor made from a dragon's hide), you could Resurrect the dragon they're wearing who would likely be none too happy that this punk was using its body parts, and even if it didn't join you, would likely be grateful for the revival and help you take down your current enemy.

I was trying to find a way to hit an undead creature like a Vampire and Resurrect it to the creature it once was, effectively killing the undead monster, but that doesn't seem possible (for that very reason, likely).

A question I had was, if you Resurrect or True Resurrect something using either a small body part or no body part at all, what happens to the rest of the body? Let's say your ally dies in a dungeon, you cut off a finger, bring it home and Resurrect him. Is his body remade around the finger, but a nearly-whole body is still rotting away in a dungeon?

Miranius
2013-07-16, 03:32 AM
Yes, the original body wouldn`t be destroyed.

Problem is: whatever creature you try toresurrect, with the exception of one prestige class the recipients must always be willing.
So unless the Dragon has a really good Reason to come back, it would most likely stay in whatever afterlife they have in Tiamats/Bahamuts realm or wherever they are.
If you find a way to reliably mitigate that (maybe communicating with their spirit and roll some nice diplomacy-checks), well, where is the next heroes graveyard/burial ground of evil monster X,......?

Nettlekid
2013-07-16, 01:20 PM
I think it'd come back for the same reason any adventurer comes back after they die. Sure, it's having a good time in its afterlife right now. But it was probably killed young, and easily has at least 500, 1000 years ahead of it. That's time to build a hoard, time to do good if you're metallic or wreak havoc if you're chromatic, and of course, the afterlife will be there waiting for you after you die again, so it's not like you're giving up anyway. Really, the reason to come back is the same reason anyone who knows what plane they'll end up on doesn't off themselves first chance to live it up (or well, not live) in their own paradise.

Rebel7284
2013-07-16, 01:40 PM
Those spells do have a time limit. It has to be a fairly recently killed dragon.

Nettlekid
2013-07-16, 01:42 PM
Ten years per caster level is pretty big. If someone's running around with a Dragonfang Dagger, I would think it's fair to say that it was acquired within the last 130 years or so.