PDA

View Full Version : Psychic Initiator Build

Waker
2013-07-16, 02:06 AM
I'm tossing around ideas for characters I want to try for an upcoming game, and while I'm knowledgeable enough about arcane magic or incarnum, I'm not as familiar with Psionics as I'd like to be. Now first off, I am well aware of the many handbooks on the topic but I would like to narrow my reading down by first consulting you all.
Ok, with that out of the way I'll get started. I would like to build a mildly competent warrioir using a psionic class and an initiator from ToB. I was considering Psychic Warrior and Warblade, at a 2 to 1 ratio as far as level distribution. I didn't have any race in mind.
Suggestions for powers and manuevers that work well together as well as feats are appreciated.
Starting level will most likely be 3.

Aegis013
2013-07-16, 02:31 AM
I think you should consider looking into Ardent if you don't have homebrew PrCs which mix the two available. Ardent is unique to psionic classes as its power selection method isn't limited by class level, unlike other psionic classes, but instead it is limited by ML. This means that you can spread Ardent levels into the build and by taking Practiced Manifester you can be getting a select few powers which are the highest level power available to a psionic character of your class level.

Plus, with the Mind's Eye ACFs available to Ardent (Dominant Ideal and Substitute Powers) you can somewhat adjust your Ardent powers to help fit what you're wanting out of the psionic portion of the class (support of meleeing enemies to death, I would guess, based on your original selection of psychic warrior) assuming the DM is reasonable with it.

If you do have homebrew material available to you, there are some fairly well done ToB-Psionic PrCs available.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-16, 02:44 AM
My guess "ideal distribution" would be

swordsage3/psywar2/swordsage1/psywar2/swordsage1/psywar2/swordsage1/psywar2/swordsage1/psywar2/swordsage1/psywar1/swordsage1.

Starting with swordsage is important (extra skillpoints), and 2 levels of swordsage gives you wisdom to AC. After that I can't be sure of the order, but taking even numbers of psywar levels between swordsage levels is kind of important (as psywar levels count as one half an initiator level, ensuring you end up with whole numbers of initiator levels. (and hitting odd initiator levels gives you new manuevers as fast as possible). Following the listed progression ensures that every swordsge level gives you new levels of manuevers. The last level I am unsure of, either will work, but swordsage will give you another stance and evasion.

Also note that being psionic gives you the ability to gain a psionic focus. Expending a psionic focus allows you to "take 15" on a concentration check, which when combined with certain diamond mind manuevers (including the save replacers, and using the check for damage). This isn't a huge feature, but it's built in, so remember it. Adding psionic meditation allows you to regain focus as move action, add in deep impact and you can make manuevers as touch attack by expending that same focus (and you can use it with maneuvers).

Waker
2013-07-16, 03:29 AM
I had considered the Swordsage for some shennanigans with Diamond Mind and the psionic feats in ToB. I may go that route after looking at my options. I am also aware of the 1/2 progression for initiator levels when taking other class levels.
I'm having difficulty understanding the powers known mechanic for the Ardent. I glanced at an Ardent Handbook which seemed to say the RAI is that you can acquire a power from a mantle if you Ardent level is equal to or greater than the PP cost. Is that correct? And I am going for RAI more than RAW.

The general concept I have for the character is that he is an ascetic, mastering himself physically and mentally. As such, I would prefer my Powers to be those that focus more on augmenting himself rather than those that directly damage or otherwise debilitate enemies.

Ah yes, if you have any suggestions for Homebrew I'll take a peek.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-16, 03:42 AM
I had considered the Swordsage for some shennanigans with Diamond Mind and the psionic feats in ToB. I may go that route after looking at my options. I am also aware of the 1/2 progression for initiator levels when taking other class levels.
I'm having difficulty understanding the powers known mechanic for the Ardent. I glanced at an Ardent Handbook which seemed to say the RAI is that you can acquire a power from a mantle if you Ardent level is equal to or greater than the PP cost. Is that correct? And I am going for RAI more than RAW.

The general concept I have for the character is that he is an ascetic, mastering himself physically and mentally. As such, I would prefer my Powers to be those that focus more on augmenting himself rather than those that directly damage or otherwise debilitate enemies.

I would go with psywar over ardent, partially because I more familiar with psywar, partially because CPsi is a mess that I would rather avoid entirely, and partly because it's better for applications like this (based on what I do know about ardent), adding in the psywar's bonus feats and it's pulling way ahead. An ardent does manifest powers based on his effective CL (unlike every other caster), but psywar has more of what you want.

As far as the initiator levels go, just remember to hit odd initiator levels on actual swordsage levels.

Rubik
2013-07-16, 03:04 PM
I think you should consider looking into Ardent if you don't have homebrew PrCs which mix the two available. Ardent is unique to psionic classes as its power selection method isn't limited by class level, unlike other psionic classes, but instead it is limited by ML. It's also unique in being the absolute worst manifesting base class in existence. Bleh.

shadow_archmagi
2013-07-16, 03:06 PM
It's also unique in being the absolute worst manifesting base class in existence. Bleh.

Really? What's wrong with it? I thought the domain thing was neat.

Turion
2013-07-16, 03:13 PM
It's also unique in being the absolute worst manifesting base class in existence. Bleh.

Bwuh? I mean, yeah, it's not great, and its power selections/acfs are just flat out lazy, but Divine Mind is a thing...

Darth Stabber
2013-07-16, 03:18 PM
Really? What's wrong with it? I thought the domain thing was neat.

It's cute, not good. The various mantles are usually full of redundant powers, and they lock in your power picks, as opposed to the more granular choices other classes have. There are several other issues, but that is the biggest issue.

Rubik
2013-07-16, 03:21 PM
Bwuh? I mean, yeah, it's not great, and its power selections/acfs are just flat out lazy, but Divine Mind is a thing...Divine what? I have no idea what you're talking about.

As far as the ardent goes, the mantles are a mish-mash of mostly crap powers, they don't even cover all the levels, the mantle abilities (except for the magic mantle, most likely because of bad/nonexistent editing) are all but worthless, and you can't PrC out without risking having no more powers you can actually take.

It's horribly designed, and the only things that bring it into decency are the ACFs. One of which is utterly broken.

Turion
2013-07-16, 03:41 PM
Eggs is very, very disappointed in you. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246926). :smalltongue:

Agreed on the rest, though. Pretty sure the only thing in The Book That Shall Not Be Named that works as intended/doesn't totally suck is the soulbow. I assume the broken ACF that you're referring to is the "we screwed up the mantles, so pick some powers" one?

Regarding OP: if you're not averse to homebrew, I'm pretty sure Age of Warriors has a Diamond Phoenix prestige class. Wilder might also be a decent choice for the psionic base, since it has a manifester level of "whatever I say." You might want to pick up Overchannel/talented for the same reason.

Rubik
2013-07-16, 03:45 PM
Agreed on the rest, though. Pretty sure the only thing in The Book That Shall Not Be Named that works as intended/doesn't totally suck is the soulbow. I assume the broken ACF that you're referring to is the "we screwed up the mantles, so pick some powers" one?No, that's the one that makes the ardent halfway playable. The other one, Dominant Ideal, is the broken one that allows you to get infinite damage for one power point at level 10.

Turion
2013-07-16, 04:02 PM
No, that's the one that makes the ardent halfway playable. The other one, Dominant Ideal, is the broken one that allows you to get infinite damage for one power point at level 10.

Aaand somehow that one completely slipped my mind. (I'm guessing Linked Power to chain Synchronicity and Ego Whip?)

Rubik
2013-07-16, 04:10 PM
Aaand somehow that one completely slipped my mind. (I'm guessing Linked Power to chain Synchronicity and Ego Whip?)Nope! Metapower with Empower Power and a damaging power, such as with Energy Ray. There's nothing preventing stacked metapsionics, and Metapower + Empower Power means you pay nothing but psionic focus...except Dominant Ideal strips you of the need for psionic focus. So just pay 1 pp and apply Empower Power 3,000, 300,000, or 3,000,000 times, and you're good to go.

Turion
2013-07-16, 04:14 PM
Nope! Metapower with Empower Power and a damaging power, such as with Energy Ray. There's nothing preventing stacked metapsionics, and Metapower + Empower Power means you pay nothing but psionic focus...except Dominant Ideal strips you of the need for psionic focus. So just pay 1 pp and apply Empower Power 3,000, 300,000, or 3,000,000 times, and you're good to go.

And I learned a new trick. Thanks!

Spuddles
2013-07-16, 04:16 PM
Darth Stabber, could you fix your post so it stops stretching the hell out of my screen?

Qwertystop
2013-07-16, 04:18 PM
Nope! Metapower with Empower Power and a damaging power, such as with Energy Ray. There's nothing preventing stacked metapsionics, and Metapower + Empower Power means you pay nothing but psionic focus...except Dominant Ideal strips you of the need for psionic focus. So just pay 1 pp and apply Empower Power 3,000, 300,000, or 3,000,000 times, and you're good to go.

At that point, though, does it really matter if you need the focus or not?

Darth Stabber
2013-07-16, 04:43 PM
Darth Stabber, could you fix your post so it stops stretching the hell out of my screen?

Sorry, don't know why it would be doing that (works fine on my phone), spoiler'd it since I don't know what's wrong.

At that point, though, does it really matter if you need the focus or not?

It matters because psionic focus would be what held that back from happening, without metapower you can empower a power 2-3 at most (schism+solicit psycrystal), and i'm not so sure about schism.

Qwertystop
2013-07-16, 05:04 PM
Sorry, don't know why it would be doing that (works fine on my phone), spoiler'd it since I don't know what's wrong.

It matters because psionic focus would be what held that back from happening, without metapower you can empower a power 2-3 at most (schism+solicit psycrystal), and i'm not so sure about schism.

Oh, right... one focus can't handle all of the metas.

Keld Denar
2013-07-16, 05:31 PM
For home brew, look up Eldariel's Ephemeral Blade. It blends Diamond Mind with Psychoportation with a focus on the Instant Clarity feat. It eventually allows tele-strike pouncing, and includes Power Channelling through a weapon and initiating strikes at range. It's full BAB and 8/10 manifesting. I'd link it, but I'm on my phone.

Spuddles
2013-07-16, 06:07 PM
Would magic mantled StP erudite/warblade qualify for JPM? Kinda cheese overkill.

Thanks. I think it was your expanded swordsage/psy war build.

Piggy Knowles
2013-07-16, 06:31 PM
There are a few psionics/initiating builds on the optimization showcases over on the Wiz boards. Here's one by RadicalTaoist, for example:

Always On Edge (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29267911/) (Click through for more details, including thoughts on gear, level by level analysis, and more)

Build Stub: Human Paragon 1 / Warblade 2 / Telepath 1 / Rogue 1 / Slayer 7 / Eternal Blade 8

1 – Human Paragon – (Adaptive Learning: Iaijutsu Focus) (Track)
2 – Warblade – (Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Moment of Perfect Mind, Douse the Flames) (Leading the Charge)
3 – Rogue – (Trapfinding, Sneak Attack +1d6) (Power Attack)
4 – Telepath – (Psionic Meditation) (Detect Psionics, Psionic Grease, Skate)
5 – Warblade – (Uncanny Dodge) (Action Before Thought)
6 – Slayer – (Favored Enemy +2, Enemy Sense) (Combat Expertise)
7 – Slayer – (Brain Nausea) (Primal Fear, Mindlink)
8 – Slayer – (Lucid Buffer) (Biofeedback, Levitate)
9 – Slayer – (Favored Enemy +4) (Weapon Focus) (Psionic Lock, Psionic Knock)
10 – Slayer – (Time Hop, Touchsight)
11 – Slayer – (Cerebral Blind) (Psionic Darkvision, Telekinetic Thrust)
12 – Slayer – (Favored Enemy +6) (Deft Strike) (Psionic Dimension Door, Schism)
13 – Eternal Blade – (Blade Guide, Eternal Training 1) (Crusader’s Strike)
14 – Eternal Blade – (Guided Strike)
15 – Eternal Blade – (Uncanny Dodge, Eternal Training 2) (Staggering Strike) (Daunting Strike)
16 – Eternal Blade – (Eternal Knowledge)
17 – Eternal Blade – (Eternal Training 3) (White Raven Tactics) (Aura of Chaos)
18 – Eternal Blade – (Defensive Insight) (Adaptive Style)
19 – Eternal Blade – (Eternal Training 4) (Clarion Call)
20 – Eternal Blade – (Tactical Insight)

Waker
2013-07-16, 09:52 PM
Well after considering it, I think I'll go with a Swordsage/Psychic Warrior. I would like some suggestions of Powers and Maneuvers that work well together. As said before, I would prefer self-buffs and a handful of strikes. Instant Clarity and Psychic Renewal seem like good feats, but will welcome other suggestions.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-16, 10:54 PM
Well after considering it, I think I'll go with a Swordsage/Psychic Warrior. I would like some suggestions of Powers and Maneuvers that work well together. As said before, I would prefer self-buffs and a handful of strikes. Instant Clarity and Psychic Renewal seem like good feats, but will welcome other suggestions.

Any of the gem strikes are great, since you can take 15 on the concentration checks (and they are really good), also the save replacers are fantastic. For powers I recommend expansion for your first pick, beyond that they become a bit more dependant on fighting style (but bigger is always better)..

Turion
2013-07-16, 11:00 PM
I'll make some power suggestions when I can brain properly, but for feats:
Practiced Manifested is a given. Overchannel would probably be a good idea as well. Most of your powers are going to be fairly low-level, so talented would probably be a good idea, as well.
If you plan on picking up any Psionic Weapon-type feats (or Extend Power), then Psionic Meditation is a very good idea, especially combined with Hustle. The psionic weapon line does mesh pretty well with standard action strikes (e.g. move or focus with your swift + hustle, move or focus with your move, strike + psionic weapon with standard, lather, rinse, repeat), so if you have room then it's not a bad idea. Psicrystal affinity is all right, but it's honestly more useful for multiple foci, along with Psicrystal Containment.

Also, if you're going for a level 20 build, might I suggest PsyWar 13 as a decent drop-off point? It gets you a 5th level power, and the remaining 7 ML can be more or less made up for with Practiced Manifested and Overchannel. (would also net you an IL of 13, so just enough for 7th level maneuvers.)

Psyren
2013-07-16, 11:42 PM
As far as the ardent goes, the mantles are a mish-mash of mostly crap powers, they don't even cover all the levels, the mantle abilities (except for the magic mantle, most likely because of bad/nonexistent editing) are all but worthless, and you can't PrC out without risking having no more powers you can actually take.

This hyperbolic vitriol again? There are more than enough good mantles even without any of the ACFs, like Creation, Deception, Energy, Freedom and Time. For gishes, there's also Conflict and Guardian. I defy you to put an ACF-less and EK-less Ardent below T3 at a minimum.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-17, 12:05 AM
This hyperbolic vitriol again? There are more than enough good mantles even without any of the ACFs, like Creation, Deception, Energy, Freedom and Time. For gishes, there's also Conflict and Guardian. I defy you to put an ACF-less and EK-less Ardent below T3 at a minimum.

The problem is that ardent looks, at first blush, like a tier2 class. The reason they generate so much vitriol is because people want them to be the tier2 that they look like. Psywar OTOH looks like tier3 and delivers.

Keld Denar
2013-07-17, 12:13 AM
I tried building an Ardent/Warblade/EphemeralBlade once. Freedom was clutch for Dimensional Hop, true, but my other mantles were Magic and Time, and I had a really tough time getting any powers that actually did much. I could channel Dispel Psionics through my weapon, but I didn't have access to most of the other psionic tricks that nearly all of them have. I didn't have Vigor + Share Pain. I didn't have Expansion. I didn't have Concealing Amorphia. I didn't have a lot of stuff. Anticipatory Strike was nice, but I just didn't have the buffs I felt like I needed.

BTW, the Ephemeral Blade PrC I mentioned above is here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107034)

Rubik
2013-07-17, 12:13 AM
This hyperbolic vitriol again? There are more than enough good mantles even without any of the ACFs, like Creation, Deception, Energy, Freedom and Time. For gishes, there's also Conflict and Guardian. I defy you to put an ACF-less and EK-less Ardent below T3 at a minimum.And psion does everything ardent does at least three times better.

The only class feature that ardents gain is the ability to mitigate a small part of the crippling weaknesses given to them by their psionic mantle "class ability."

Psyren
2013-07-17, 12:20 AM
The problem is that ardent looks, at first blush, like a tier2 class. The reason they generate so much vitriol is because people want them to be the tier2 that they look like. Psywar OTOH looks like tier3 and delivers.

I don't care what classes "look like" and neither should you. I care what they can do.

And psion does everything ardent does at least three times better.

That doesn't make Ardents bad. Psions are better than lots of classes.

The only class feature that ardents gain is the ability to mitigate a small part of the crippling weaknesses given to them by their psionic mantle "class ability."

After the familiar, Sorcerers get no class features at all. That doesn't make them bad either. (And monks are chock-full of class features. Quantity means nothing.)

The powers themselves are what you should be looking at. Don't get so hung up on the mantle abilities, or the fact that some mantles have gaps.

Rubik
2013-07-17, 12:25 AM
The powers themselves are what you should be looking at. Don't get so hung up on the mantle abilities, or the fact that some mantles have gaps.Too much overlap and redundancy. You have two, MAYBE three powers to choose from each level, and every level has similar powers to choose from (with rare exceptions). Just how many different energy powers do you need, anyway?

Darth Stabber
2013-07-17, 12:43 AM
Too much overlap and redundancy. You have two, MAYBE three powers to choose from each level, and every level has similar powers to choose from (with rare exceptions). Just how many different energy powers do you need, anyway?

The answer is one or two. One aoe one single target. With spells there are arguments for more, with psionics, not so much. Even a dedicated blaster probably only exceed that by 2 at the most. And even those energy powers have to compete with the crystal piercing damage spells.

Psyren
2013-07-17, 12:44 AM
Too much overlap and redundancy. You have two, MAYBE three powers to choose from each level, and every level has similar powers to choose from (with rare exceptions). Just how many different energy powers do you need, anyway?

There's no reason to make Energy a primary mantle, or even to take it at all.

And where's the redundancy in Time, Freedom, Creation and Conflict for instance?

You're so focused on the disadvantages of the Ardent that you're neglecting the advantages. Among Psions, only Nomads can Fly at 7th level, only Egoists can Metamorph at 10th level, and only Seers can learn Metafaculty pre-epic. Ardents are the only psionic class that can do all three of these things at the same levels as their respective specialists can. And If you find yourself coming up on a level where the mantles you have don't offer the best options, just Tap a mantle with better options - the right choice is like several Expanded Knowledges in one feat, up to your highest power level instead of one below. And as Person_Man's X to Y thread shows, Wis is right up there with Cha in terms of the sheer number of bonuses you can key off it.

The class is far better than you give it credit for. "Absolute worst manifesting class" is a patently ludicrous statement.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-17, 12:59 AM
There's no reason to make Energy a primary mantle, or even to take it at all.

And where's the redundancy in Time, Freedom, Creation and Conflict for instance?

You're so focused on the disadvantages of the Ardent that you're neglecting the advantages. Among Psions, only Nomads can Fly at 7th level, only Egoists can Metamorph at 10th level, and only Seers can learn Metafaculty pre-epic. Ardents are the only psionic class that can do all three of these things at the same levels as their respective specialists can. And If you find yourself coming up on a level where the mantles you have don't offer the best options, just Tap a mantle with better options - the right choice is like several Expanded Knowledges in one feat, up to your highest power level instead of one below. And as Person_Man's X to Y thread shows, Wis is right up there with Cha in terms of the sheer number of bonuses you can key off it.

The class is far better than you give it credit for. "Absolute worst manifesting class" is a patently ludicrous statement.

1) int is the best casting stat on it's own merits (barring a con caster). It's harder to add to things, but it's better in a vacuum. It matters on it's own, the other kinda need to be made to matter, especially cha (wisdom at least affects a save).

2) you effectively admitted that it's tier 3. A full caster at tier3, without a fixed list? Yeah, that's going be beloved!

3) despite occasionally delayed access, a psion is going to have a much easier access to all the effects he wants. It is much easier to build a psion than an ardent, and it pays off far better.

4) the only compelling reasons to use the class involve either caster level shenanigans, or metapsionic abuse.

chainer1216
2013-07-17, 01:04 AM
so, i personally like warblade5/warmind5/warblade1/warmindx/warbladex/so on and so forth.

Sweeping strike and manuevers makes for a good time.

bonus points if you're a warforged.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-17, 01:21 AM
so, i personally like warblade5/warmind5/warblade1/warmindx/warbladex/so on and so forth.

Sweeping strike and manuevers makes for a good time.

bonus points if you're a warforged.

Cute, but MAD. Why don't you add some charisma dependence in there to achieve EAD (every attribute dependency).

Psyren
2013-07-17, 01:21 AM
@ Darth:

1) "X in a vacuum" is pointless; the game isn't played in vacuums. Even if you self-impose one, Wis has plenty of inherent advantages of its own - will saves, boosting the two most-rolled skills in the game, and being a stat tax for all manifesters anyway. Even Psions want 13 Wis after all.

2) T3 at minimum - It also has a few ways to break the game, which is the definition of T2.

3) "Much easier" depends on the campaign. If you're stuck at level 7-8 for several sessions and need flight, Ardent and Nomad are your only psionic options. Even if the Ardent didn't pick it up before, he can reform into it - the non-Nomad Psion and Wilder meanwhile have to wait.

4) You forgot (a) wanting a Wis-based full manifester (plenty of reasons for that) and (b) being a backup method of accessing several 9s that only specialized Psions get, e.g. getting Metafaculty if there are no Seers around and/or True Creation without a Shaper. They are the only class that can get both of these in one build without Chirurgery tricks.

Cerlis
2013-07-17, 01:30 AM
If homebrewn is being considered....

then wouldnt the go to thing be the Jade Phoenix? I mean its not exactly even homebrewn, as every other PRC basically lists a way you could alter the prestige class. So presidence for there altering the class in such a way is well founded.

Waker
2013-07-17, 01:32 AM
Psyren, though I defer to your superior knowledge of Psionics, I did decide to go with Psychic Warrior over Ardent. Could you give me any advice and point out any choices that may be traps?
And pass on JPM as a Psionic. I don't really have much interest in Devoted Spirit or Desert Wind for this build and would prefer not to change the class too much.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-17, 01:35 AM
@ Darth:

1) "X in a vacuum" is pointless; the game isn't played in vacuums. Even if you self-impose one, Wis has plenty of inherent advantages of its own - will saves, boosting the two most-rolled skills in the game, and being a stat tax for all manifesters anyway. Even Psions want 13 Wis after all.

The "vacuum" matters, because int matters, even if you don't make it matter. Wisdom does too (for will saves), but not as much. Int affects more skills, and is directly correlated with how many you get. Spot and listen may be rolled with more frequency, but are they as important as spell/psicraft, umd/upd, concentration, or knowledges?

2) T3 at minimum - It also has a few ways to break the game, which is the definition of T2.

it takes A LOT more effort.

3) "Much easier" depends on the campaign. If you're stuck at level 7-8 for several sessions and need flight, Ardent and Nomad are your only psionic options. Even if the Ardent didn't pick it up before, he can reform into it - the non-Nomad Psion and Wilder meanwhile have to wait.

do wands and scrolls not exist in your universe? Is the need for these abilities at that level so great? They are important abilities to have, no question, but at that level they are niceties, not mandatory. Besides, other casters exist.

4) You forgot (a) wanting a Wis-based full manifester (plenty of reasons for that) and (b) being a backup method of accessing several 9s that only specialized Psions get, e.g. getting Metafaculty if there are no Seers around and/or True Creation without a Shaper. They are the only class that can get both of these in one build without Chirurgery tricks.
There are tricks to get that as a psion other than cirurgery (powerstones for one), and as already demonstrated int matters more unless you make something else matter more. for the OP's purposes psywar gives what he is after + bonus feats.

Psyren
2013-07-17, 02:25 AM
Psyren, though I defer to your superior knowledge of Psionics, I did decide to go with Psychic Warrior over Ardent. Could you give me any advice and point out any choices that may be traps?

I find that Zugschef's Psywar handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162701) covers the class end-to-end very well. That should cover general inquiries, initial feat/item choices etc.

Unfortunately, my knowledge of ToB is slim at best, so I won't be much help there.

@ Darth: You're pretty much splitting hairs at this point. Truenamer can use wands and scrolls too, their presence is meaningless when discussing class power. How important some skill rolls are vs. others depends on the campaign; so does availability of other classes to cover gaps or delays in your repertoire. Finally, powerstones of discipline powers are actually not accessible to psions not of that discipline, as noted in the psion entry.

If you want to discuss this more we can make another thread so as not to derail this one any further, but my bottom line is that Ardent is a perfectly serviceable class even if you ignore ACFs, Expanded Knowledge, Tap Mantle and every other method available to them of expanding their list, and stick with just what is printed in each mantle. They could be better, certainly, but that is still miles above where you and Rubik are trying to place them, which looks from here to be somewhere below Healer and Warmage.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-17, 03:01 AM
@psyren, I really have nothing more to add to the ardent debate other than "erudite has more access than anyone", and I am perfectly happy to rest my case on that. My main point (which got buried under other points) was that psywar is more suited to the task at hand, I just got side tracked with arguing.

Vaz
2013-07-17, 04:29 AM

No. Nowhere does it state you can apply metapsionic feats more than once. Nowhere does it say that fighters can't shoot lazerbeams from their eyes, that doesn't mean you can.

Waker
2013-07-17, 04:56 AM
Thanks for the link Psyren. It has given me some ideas of which powers to take.

Spuddles
2013-07-17, 05:01 AM
Cute, but MAD. Why don't you add some charisma dependence in there to achieve EAD (every attribute dependency).

You need str, con, and some wis. Less MAD than a paladin.

No. Nowhere does it state you can apply metapsionic feats more than once. Nowhere does it say that fighters can't shoot lazerbeams from their eyes, that doesn't mean you can.

I was waiting for someone to point this out. There's no rule in metapsionics to overrule stacking rules, anyway.

chainer1216
2013-07-17, 11:42 AM
You need str, con, and some wis. Less MAD than a paladin.

it needs a bit of int too, a prerequisite of Warmind is 8 ranks in Knowledge: Psionics, which is cross class for warblades unless you burn a feat on making it a class skill. though i still don't understand why it needs dex at all.