PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Nerfkitten (Soul Eater + Awakened Housecat)

babus
2013-07-16, 06:14 AM
So... initially this character had been a Tibbit, but after my DM mumbled unappreciatively at the race's concept, I ended up with an Awakened Cat using these stats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9090564&postcount=3) with the magical creature hit dice removed via the permanent loss of all but his last hit dice to level drain and then switching that for a class level (arguements for or against that working were made here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132319)). DM did not complain about this because he thought it was a reasonable backstory for a character that will eventually be spending a good portion of its own time devouring souls.

I stated the above right away mostly because I'm here to ask for advice on overcoming that -8 to Strength (weapons finesse helps, but with a -4 to damage, it'll be 1 hit point per thing that lands) with a character that's going to be using fairly low damage natural attacks and 3 RHD would likely make that a exercise in futility barring some rather broken maneuvering, which Wight Out in this particular case is not.

I suppose it's also important to note that the interpretation of Energy Drain's text being used is that it deals its negative level only once per round (so no using Totemist to get natural attacks up to 7 and dealing 7 negative levels a round), but the Drain can be delivered as part of a natural attack.

So far I've considered simply stacking crazy bonuses to strength together via Barbarian Rage shenanigans (Reckless Rage with Power Attack from the Ape Totem is good, but rages only last so long, and that's just breaking even with the penalty), having a Necklace of Natural Weapons made with the Weapon Aptitude Enchantment in order to allow Shadow Blade to apply to my attacks (Costs a good amount for the necklace, and also either 3 feats or a level and a feat, with the actual payoff not being a replacement, but merely an addition), and taking the Wildshape Ranger variant for entry to the Warshaper PrC for its extra natural attack and bonus of +4 to Strength/Constitution (a fun option, but a bit restrictive on levels and thematically problematic, as I'll probably have plenty of reasons to spend my level hours a day as something else besides a cat).

My fear is that I'm going to end up holding the party back by not bringing in sufficient numbers, which is why I thought it would be wise to ask for some advice here. Optimization isn't likely to be especially powergamey in the group, but with these sorts of negatives, I'm not sure how whatever I build will actually play. If you've had experience with overcoming these sorts of stat gaps, Tome of Battle shenanigans included, I'm all ears.

A few feats I've found to help minimize things are Don't Mind Me, which allows cats to enter the square of an enemy without provoking an attack of opportunity and Life Drain, which might help pull in some temporary HP to keep the cat alive. There's also Twining Trip, which forces the target of one of your trip attacks to resist with dex rather than Strength, but I'm not sure if there's enough room to build a real trip character.

Sorry for the long post, but thanks to anyone who read this far.

Vaz
2013-07-16, 06:19 AM
Cleric+Divine Power+Death Devotion = additional Negative Levels, Strength Bonus, Full BAB.

Possibility for DMM if you wish as well; Maximising Enervation, etc.

babus
2013-07-16, 06:24 AM
Cleric+Divine Power+Death Devotion = additional Negative Levels, Strength Bonus, Full BAB.

Possibility for DMM if you wish as well; Maximising Enervation, etc.

I usually try to avoid Cleric/Wizard/Druid when I can (makes the DM nervous), but that's certainly not a broken application, barring DMM use. Thank you for mentioning Death Devotion, as I admit it completely slipped my mind.

Juhn
2013-07-16, 04:53 PM
Caster with lots of touch attack spells?

Yael
2013-07-16, 05:26 PM
You should remember to add Feline to your Languages.

Tokuhara
2013-07-16, 05:33 PM
And of course, you have to be a devilishly malign, underhanded, uncaring commoner-killing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cONmzaT4x10) cat. I need a shorter phrase for it, but I can't think for the word...

Feralventas
2013-07-16, 05:46 PM
If you're going to focus on delivering touch attacks, I'd suggest going for a build that functions mostly on those already. Monk's Flurry of Blows probably wouldn't help much, but if you focused on Stunning Fist applications, adding negative levels to save against in addition to the Stunning effect might be very useful, especially if the negative level kicks in before they save against the stun.

Ghostwalk's Eidalon class has several feat options which grant touch attacks (damage, energy, even more negative levels if you want to and can stack them) while also adding things like flight speeds, an at-will 30ft dimension door, or telekinetic abilities.

Warlock might provide some damage options, as well as some astoundingly useful invocations, though I don't think it would be great for your offensive options over-all since Eldritch Glaive doesn't involve You touching the enemy, and Eldritch Claws takes another action to prepare, so you'd only hit every other round presuming a hit every time. However, the other Invocation class, Dragonfire Adept, is a bit weaker, but the breath-weapon scales with your levels and gives an AOE and other potential buffs until you're ready to get to Soul Eater.

Swordsage of the Tome of Battle can operate on unnarmed attacks, and unlike the Monk actually gets decent damage options from its maneuvers on single-strike actions.

Spuddles
2013-07-16, 06:20 PM
Hit & Run fighter1 (DotU) lets you add dex to damage vs. flat footed enemies. Craven adds +1 damage per level to your sneak attacks. Swashbuckler 3 adds int to damage vs foes that aren't immune to crits. Shiba Protector 1 (OA) adds wisdom to damage and attacks.

You should check out the X to Y thread(s) for work arounds for a low str.

kardar233
2013-07-16, 10:04 PM
You are Tiny, so you should take a look at The Other Killer Gnome (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872846/I_May_Be_Tiny,_But_Youre_Dead:_the_other,_melee_Ki ller_Gnome,_for_your_pleasure.). Unfortunately Blade Bravo doesn't really fit the concept (and is gnome-only to boot) but the other tricks contained within are usable.

babus
2013-07-17, 10:07 AM
@Feralventas
A Ghost Cat of horrible doom sounds glorious, though sadly Soul Eater requires you be living. If I were to not go Soul Eater, though, it would certainly keep the theme, given all the horrible things I could do with the Corrupter Path, so I'll keep it in mind.

Warlock and Dragonfire Adept are good options, and I admit a firebreathing cat is completely hilarious. Both are definitely good considerations for at the very least a dip.

In regards to Monk's stunning fist setup, it's cool, but I'm unsure if I can really bring enough negative levels to the table, given that the interpretation used for Energy Drain is going to be once per round, and I may not have all that much time to stack levels. I'm uncertain, however, as Death Devotion may allow for adding them a bit more easily, but comes with its own complications, like a save being allowed, and only a certain number of drains per target.

Swordsage is an excelent suggestion and I will likely indeed be taking at least a few levels.

@Spuddles
Person Man's work is well known to me, but I'm mostly unsure I'll have the horsepower statwise to overcome the -4 to damage, with enough left over to do reasonable damage for my level.

The main thing to ask is if the effort devoted to getting opponents Flatfooted will be worth it. Hit and Run Fighter means adding Dex to damage, and if I were to pick up Ninja 1 for the Sudden Strike, I would be adding to damage I wouldn't have otherwise have, but due to the lack of ways to consistently get ones opponent considered flatfooted for all attacks you make as part of an action (Invisibility sadly only applies to the first attack to land), it may be unwise. I mean, I love Avenging Executioner for its fluff, but getting what I'd need out of it is 4 levels and things are already crowded at BAB +5 for things I need to actually take, especially as I won't be using Full BAB classes going the Sneak Attack route.

Depending on whether or not I can enjoy the benefits of Stance when not wielding the School's weapons, it might look something like this.

1. Rogue (+1d6 SA)
2. Rogue (Lose Evasion for Spell Reflection because Attribute Drain and 3 Strength)
3. Rogue (Penetrating Strike ACF, +1d6 SA)
4. Sneak Attack Hit and Run Fighter (+1d6 SA)
5. Spell Thief (+1d6 SA)
6. Assassin (+1d6, Critical Strike Spell for another +1d6, though only for one round a day)

Which so far is +4.75 BAB, just a bit shy of the +5 BAB needed to get into most PrCs. Not really sure what to fill the gap with except maybe Monk or Warlock/DragonfireAdept for the Darkness Invocation.

@kardar233
Noted and there is some good stuff here. Slightly feat starved at the moment, but Confound the Big Folk in Particular looks great for getting the opponent Flat-Footed. Not quite sure how it interacts with multiple attacks, though, and both it and its prereq have a requirement of 10 ranks in Tumble, so it wouldn't come into play until quite a while into the game.

@UrashimaJamez
A great idea and I'll make a note of it, though I do hope to dice the DM doesn't make me RP that.

@Tokuhara
No Commoner nor Wizard that stumbled in from Second Edition shall be safe.