PDA

View Full Version : Mistborn Game Opinions

Rorrik
2013-07-16, 09:40 AM
Has anyone played the Mistborn Adventure Game (http://www.crafty-games.com/content/buy-mistborn-adventure-game)?

Is it a table top RPG or is it just kind of a single story line?

Does it have full rules for the three magic branches?

How does it play? Would you recommend it?

Demons_eye
2013-07-16, 10:06 AM
From what I've read in it yes to all three.

It is a playable RPG but the setting and rules if kind of limited on what you can do. For example, I would never show my group this and expect them not to have Inquisitors tracking them within 5 minutes of the game. I wouldn't use this for people who don't understand how valuable stealth and diplomacy is in a game like this. Sure you need to throw some people around but you want to avoid that most of the time.

But the best thing is that you can also change whatever you want. It suggest stuff like playing along with the main characters or having one of them go rouge and be the villain. Can your group take down the lord emperor? Hell it doesn't even have to be that big, can you steel the plans for the new canal they plan to make from a Nobel that will make slave trading more easy? Or maybe just make it big by tricking a Nobel into sending you all of his crops this year. As new books come out you can also use them as a setting, like the alloy of law which is a steampunk version in many ways of mistborn.

It has rules for all three and like the books, they are well thought out. It gets kind of crazy if they can get their Allomancy or Feruchemy scores high enough. Also the Spikes are not well known in the basic settings, Spoiler, before the Lord Rulers Fall but are easily used if you want to go down that route. It even has rules for playing Mist Wraiths and other things so you are not limited.

I haven't played it yet with anyone but I plan to get people together to try it. I really liked the books and the system seems well fleshed out but my group isn't the type to survive that long in this super paranoia filled world. At least that's changing slowly so I hope to run it soon.

TroubleBrewing
2013-08-15, 02:12 AM
It's pretty great, honestly.

My group prefers Burning Wheel to 3.5, and World of Darkness to Call of Cthulhu, though. So I guess YMMV.

Rorrik
2013-08-15, 09:37 AM
World of Darkness has worked well at our table, while the more complicated systems I tend to like get out of hand (we're a mix of artists and engineers, the engineers take the math too far every time and the artists would rather not think about it). So it might be a good fit for us.

Unfortunately, the guy who's really into Mistborn is moving to Russia in October, so I probably won't spring for it as quickly as I had intended.