PDA

View Full Version : Caster level 5 cleric, what spells to memorize?

Kioras
2013-07-16, 10:19 AM
I have a level 7 human cleric, that is built as such :
Cleric 2/Human Paragon 3/Ordained Champion 2 of Heironeous.
cha : 16, wis 20

feats :
level 1 scribe scroll
bonus : extend
level 3 : extra turning
paragon feat : extra turning
level 6 : leadership
swap good domain for : power attack
swap destiny domain for : cleave

Only question I have on build is swapping cleave for a better fit fighter feat.

My domains are Good/War/Destiny

I am for swapping out the good domain via spell for something more useful.

So my spell choices are :
level 0 : 6
level 1 : 5 +1
level 2 : 3 +1
level 3 : 2 +1

The group consits of currently a fighter(unsure of build), a ninja/swordsage, a warmage(unsure of build), a bard, sorceror/favored soul(unsure of levels), we are all around level 7.

I am built as a melee heavy cleric, however some of the players generally have a view that cleric = healbot.

Because of the players views, and since i have the most levels in healer, I will likely have to spend a few slots in each level for heal spells, but I want some advice on the other spells to memorize.

The group currently has 2 wands of cure light wounds, with quite a few charges also.

I already convinced the DM on the next extended down time to let me retrain my 2 level 1 feats to quick/dmm: quicken.

Diarmuid
2013-07-16, 12:20 PM
How are you swapping domains for feats other than devotion feats?

Kioras
2013-07-16, 12:31 PM
How are you swapping domains for feats other than devotion feats?

ordained champion, lets me swap up to 2 domain powers for a fighters feat.

Rebel7284
2013-07-16, 12:43 PM
DMM persist is better than DMM quicken for a fighter type cleric, but DMM quicken is good too. :)

Close Wounds is a nice spell allowing you to heal as a swift action without using up the actions you can use to kill your enemies.

Kioras
2013-07-16, 01:05 PM
DMM persist is better than DMM quicken for a fighter type cleric, but DMM quicken is good too. :)

Close Wounds is a nice spell allowing you to heal as a swift action without using up the actions you can use to kill your enemies.

Oh yeah, I know DMM persist is an order of magnitude better then DMM quicken, it is just that of the classes in the group, I am one of the most optimized, and don't want to quite throw the power rating/balance out too much. Persisting some choice spells might end up breaking things more then just throwing out quickened spells as needed, mid fight, as needed. Not to mention if I just throw out quickened healing spells the other players won't notice the potential game breaking compared to say a peristed Choose Destiny.

On the spell question, is it worth having a usage of wind wall, compared to other spells?

I sadly have not played enough games with the GM to get a feel for waht sort of encounters show up frequently.

HalfQuart
2013-07-16, 01:09 PM
You might want to take a look at the 3.5 Cleric Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420), if you haven't already. The spells section doesn't have much detail (no real analysis of the actual spells), but seeing which spells they highlight might be helpful... as well as any general build info.

Ok, mostly I just like linking to handbooks if people don't reference them themselves, since generally they're really helpful. :-)

Rebel7284
2013-07-16, 01:16 PM
Oh yeah, I know DMM persist is an order of magnitude better then DMM quicken, it is just that of the classes in the group, I am one of the most optimized, and don't want to quite throw the power rating/balance out too much. Persisting some choice spells might end up breaking things more then just throwing out quickened spells as needed, mid fight, as needed. Not to mention if I just throw out quickened healing spells the other players won't notice the potential game breaking compared to say a peristed Choose Destiny.

On the spell question, is it worth having a usage of wind wall, compared to other spells?

I sadly have not played enough games with the GM to get a feel for waht sort of encounters show up frequently.

Persisting party buffs IS a viable technique. Lesser Vigor, Mass makes the party feel like you are doing the healbot job well and Prayer is nice. But I see your point overall.

Kioras
2013-07-16, 01:27 PM
Persisting party buffs IS a viable technique. Lesser Vigor, Mass makes the party feel like you are doing the healbot job well and Prayer is nice. But I see your point overall.

True, persisting group buffs is another way to go. Part of my question/concern was how much usage I would get from either one. I might eventually get about ~22 turn attempts more or less, with quicken and ~18 with persist/extend, so overall usage was he other concern I had.

On the question of DMM persist, I have a question on Turning pools. If i can swap out the destroy undead from complete divine or expedition to castle ravenloft, and then pick up a class with normal turn undead, do I get 2 turning pools, with charges to use, or do i just have whatever i choose at level 1, just the levels stack?