PDA

View Full Version : I Need a Monster that Fits

hobbitkniver
2013-07-16, 11:18 AM
I've created a situation where my players will need to be interacting with objects underwater and I need a minor enemy to hinder them or distract them, but not kill them. The water is fresh and freezing cold and the players are level 6. Can anyone recommend an unintelligent creature with a low CR that can handle cold and lives in the water? An animal would probably be best, but as long as it isn't really free-thinking, it should be fine. Any ideas would be appreciated.

RFLS
2013-07-16, 11:20 AM
I've created a situation where my players will need to be interacting with objects underwater and I need a minor enemy to hinder them or distract them, but not kill them. The water is fresh and freezing cold and the players are level 6. Can anyone recommend an unintelligent creature with a low CR that can handle cold and lives in the water? An animal would probably be best, but as long as it isn't really free-thinking, it should be fine. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Morkoths from MM III(?) might help you. They're technically intelligent, but they don't act like it (or can be fluffed to not be intelligent). After that, if there are any Aberrations or other critters that you like, but don't have a swim speed, you can always slap the Amphibious template on for no increase in CR.

the_david
2013-07-16, 11:21 AM
Honestly, I'd go for Lacedon. They are intelligent though.

hobbitkniver
2013-07-16, 11:32 AM
Morkoths from MM III(?) might help you. They're technically intelligent, but they don't act like it (or can be fluffed to not be intelligent). After that, if there are any Aberrations or other critters that you like, but don't have a swim speed, you can always slap the Amphibious template on for no increase in CR.

A morkoth could probably work as long as they don't get too caught up in fighting it. It's also in MM II for anyone curious.

Honestly, I'd go for Lacedon. They are intelligent though.

The problem with having undead in a lake is that there'd have to be a reason that they're there. It's in a dangerous area because of natural harms, but it's not a place where undead could exist without being dealt with.

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-16, 11:41 AM
The cold aquatic encounter table (EL 1-6) from Frostburn page 219 mentions a number of possible creatures, including: Aquatic Ooze (bloodbloater or reekmurk), Selkie, and Vine Horror from Fiend Folio; Rusalka, Vodyanoi and White Pudding from Frostburn; and Morkoth from MM2.

Telonius
2013-07-16, 11:57 AM
Use the stats for a shark, and call it a Dire Snakehead.

hobbitkniver
2013-07-16, 11:58 AM
Use the stats for a shark, and call it a Dire Snakehead.

Actually, I could probably do a shark and just say it's freshwater or something.

Gerrtt
2013-07-16, 12:00 PM
An elasmosaurus could fit the bill if you come up with some reason why it's in a cold environment rather than a warm one...and is for some reason where your players are.

I'm also imagining a larger "behind the scenes" type monster. Something they never really interact with in full force, but which can attack/interfere with them players and then retreat, only fighting on it's terms. A tentacle emerging through cracks in the floor every once in a while (read: the worst possible times for your players), or something like that.

Something like a giant octopus, which also has the warm aquatic environment (And also suffers from being a salt-water critter...darn) that can grapple, drag opponents away, etc., but also likes to retreat to it's lair. Octopi are actually pretty cunning hunters too, using hiding/camo techniques to set ambushes up.

Incidentally, here's an article about how an octopus can change it's body to be a cold water animal instead of a warm water animal: link (http://www.livescience.com/17767-octopi-adapt-chilly-waters.html).

When in doubt...just say it can live in freshwater, you're the DM. The octopus isn't a terribly powerful foe (as in it doesn't deal huge amounts of damage or have tons of HP) but can certainly grapple foes underwater, which could interfere with their ability to manipulate objects freely.

hobbitkniver
2013-07-16, 12:04 PM
An elasmosaurus could fit the bill if you come up with some reason why it's in a cold environment rather than a warm one...and is for some reason where your players are.

I'm also imagining a larger "behind the scenes" type monster. Something they never really interact with in full force, but which can attack/interfere with them players and then retreat, only fighting on it's terms. A tentacle emerging through cracks in the floor every once in a while (read: the worst possible times for your players), or something like that.

Something like a giant octopus, which also has the warm aquatic environment (And also suffers from being a salt-water critter...darn) that can grapple, drag opponents away, etc., but also likes to retreat to it's lair. Octopi are actually pretty cunning hunters too, using hiding/camo techniques to set ambushes up.

Incidentally, here's an article about how an octopus can change it's body to be a cold water animal instead of a warm water animal: link (http://www.livescience.com/17767-octopi-adapt-chilly-waters.html).

When in doubt...just say it can live in freshwater, you're the DM. The octopus isn't a terribly powerful foe (as in it doesn't deal huge amounts of damage or have tons of HP) but can certainly grapple foes underwater, which could interfere with their ability to manipulate objects freely.

I actually like this idea a bit more. Instead of having a combat as a distraction, it wouldn't be a monster that needed to be killed. It's almost an environmental hindrance.

Perseus
2013-07-16, 12:06 PM
Does it need to be a natural enemy or could something else be summoning ceittrs for the party to fight? It would explain why something crazy is in the cold fresh water.

hobbitkniver
2013-07-16, 12:10 PM
Does it need to be a natural enemy or could something else be summoning ceittrs for the party to fight? It would explain why something crazy is in the cold fresh water.

No, it would have to be a creature that was there naturally. It could be that someone put it there on purpose to guard the area though, but not with particularly evil intent.

Perseus
2013-07-16, 01:37 PM
No, it would have to be a creature that was there naturally. It could be that someone put it there on purpose to guard the area though, but not with particularly evil intent.

What I mean is that the real threat stays in the dark while her summons attack the party. So you could have a water halfling druid that is spamming SNA to deal with the party

dspeyer
2013-07-16, 02:50 PM
There's nothing stopping polar bears from jumping into ponds, though they're only CR4. You could have a few of them.

For that matter, orcas (CR5) do fine in fresh water, so long as there's a way for them to get there.

Hydras, including cryohydras, have swim speeds. They don't have water-breathing, so they would need to surface every 20 rounds in a fight, unless you house-rule that away. A breath weapon of cold should do interesting things in an underwater fight.

Keld Denar
2013-07-16, 03:54 PM
Crystal Ooze? Invisible, mindless, annoying.

Tvtyrant
2013-07-16, 05:10 PM
There's nothing stopping polar bears from jumping into ponds, though they're only CR4. You could have a few of them.

For that matter, orcas (CR5) do fine in fresh water, so long as there's a way for them to get there.

Hydras, including cryohydras, have swim speeds. They don't have water-breathing, so they would need to surface every 20 rounds in a fight, unless you house-rule that away. A breath weapon of cold should do interesting things in an underwater fight.
The Hydra keeps a single head above the water to breath while it has the others hunting for fish in the water itself. It wades across the bottom of the pond towards its prey, only pulling its head under when close enough to be seen.

Sharkdra! The ultimate oceanic evil!

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-16, 05:18 PM
I'm gonna vote for either the aquatic oozes from Fiend Folio, or for some matter of fey-ish thing paired with a pet animal.

Selkie with her dire walrus pet (or the like).

Fossegrim and his swarm of cold-water piranha.

Rusalka with her polar bear.

In any case, I agree that the animal is cool as a kind of environmental hazard, and that it doesn't really need to be exterminated. To complicate matters, if the players do engage the beastie, its fey friend shows up, rather pissed off. Chance for stealth, Diplomacy, or other non-combat stuff, which is always a good thing (IMHO).

Keld Denar
2013-07-16, 05:36 PM
Also, the Leech Swarm from Stormwrack. *shudder*

Immabozo
2013-07-16, 06:01 PM
I'm gonna toss in a vote for a shark, orcas, polar bears and octopi.

The aquatic oozes and hydra/crohydra are more in the "must be delt with" category.

Also, you could re-fluff a buffalo to a hippo!

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-16, 06:20 PM
Were there not hippo stats in Sandstorm? They were sacred to that Tem-Et-Nu lady.

ShriekingDrake
2013-07-16, 06:54 PM
Also, the Leech Swarm from Stormwrack. *shudder*

This. A really tough, but flavorful challenge. More like a hazard than a creature, but will keep your players from feeling comfortable in the water, ever again.

The Ravensong
2013-07-16, 07:52 PM
Also the blood bloater from the fiend folio :smallbiggrin:

Immabozo
2013-07-16, 07:55 PM
Were there not hippo stats in Sandstorm? They were sacred to that Tem-Et-Nu lady.

I bow to your greater knowledge of D&D, master.