PDA

View Full Version : For A Fistful of Credits (SW: Edge of the Empire Chronicle)

White_North
2013-07-16, 01:42 PM
Hello, all.

As most of you know, Fantasy Flight recently released their very own take on making a Star Wars roleplaying game: The Edge of the Empire. In it, players create and play characters who live on the edge of Imperial Space. They are scoundrels, explorers and mercenaries who try to fend for themselves while dodging the ever-watchful eye of the Empire as well as the far-reaching arm of the Hutts and various other criminal organizations with whom they may have gotten into trouble. A friend of mine, who is a huge Star Wars fan, had long since tried to run a Star Wars campaign, but always ended up prematurely ending them, as the system never was quite what he wanted it to be. When I pitched him EotE, I suspect that his attention was most definitely caught when he heard "no Jedi" (Force users had always been a headache for him, as they inevitably outstripped most other players and made his job as GM much harder). And so, I ended up buying the book on release day and it has since become our new regular game. In fact, we've all derived such enjoyment from it that I figured I should share it with all you fine people. And so, without further ado...

The Players

Jayden Korr: A Slicer/Bodyguard, Jayden is part of a dying breed of Mandalorians in the Galaxy. Having been born into a small war camp, he always dreamed of living for himself the exploits of warriors of old. With a technically-inclined mind and a preference for Vibro-axes (though he is proficient in all forms of combat), Jayden earned the honor of becoming part of a raiding party. The reality of the galaxy, however, was much harsher than he expected. While preparing for a raid, the young Mandalorian's ship was attacked by an Imperial taskforce, accompanied by an Interdictor cruiser. The fight was fierce, but brief, as Jayden's ship was sent hurtling towards a nearby planet. When he awoke, he found his armor in pieces around him and no one else there. Unsure if his companions had been thrown clear during the crash or had simply abandoned him, he headed for a nearby settlement and, from there, hitched a ride on an outbound transport, determined to evade the Empire. His obligation is Wanted, as the Imperials somehow found out he survived and began a sector-wide search for Mandalorians.

Mufasa: A small Rodian Bounty Hunter Gadgeteer with a love for big guns, Mufasa always had an unhealthy fascination with things he could not have. In his youth, that fascination manifested itself in the form of a beautiful Rodian noble, far above his own social caste. He fell in love with her at an early age and, though he never could bring himself to even speak to her, he swore that, one day, he would prove he was worthy of her. And so, taking a blaster to his hip and a flamethrower to his hands (!) Mufasa headed off into space, to find fortune, glory, and just maybe, something that would one day bring his true love to him. Self-described as "space Scarface", Mufasa's Obligation is True Love.

Katryyhnn: A Doctor Colonist who joined the party in the secong session, Katryyhnn (or Kat for short) never fully understood the reputation of her race as warriors. Her talents, she found early, were in the fine arts of healing. But the Galaxy, unfortunately, did not share her peaceful preferences. And, when a group of Trandoshan hunters slaughthed her family, claimed their pelts as prizes and sold her into slavery, Kat was violently awakened to the potential evils of the Galaxy. And so, she swore upon her family's memory that, though she would stay true to the path of healing she had chosen, exceptions must be made and that violent, furrry justice would one day come to the depraved hunters that had stolen her life from her. Her Obligation is Oath (Get revenge on the Trandoshan hunters).

And finally, Zrazk Tresk'Lya: a Bothan Hired Gun Mercenary played by yours truly, Zrask grew up a soldier on Bothawui. Being one of the few Bothans who willingly chose a martial lifestyle, Zrask became part of the Bothan Planetary Defense Force at a young age. Working hard and slowly climbing to the rank of Sergeant, Zrask lived his life with the unhappy conviction that, given the physically non-violent inclinations of his people, he would live out the rest of his life undegoing drills and simulations, far from actual combat. All that changed, however, when the Empire came. Following the initial refusal of the Bothan population to be incorporated into the newly-founded Empire, the Emperor decided an example had to be made. And though the Bothans were accomplished diplomats, their soldiers ahd little battle experience and proved to be no match for the over-trained Stormteoopers of the Empire. The siege lasted a day, and during that day, Imperial forces tore through Bothan defenses like a vibro-blade through glassteel. And, in his people's hour of need, Zrask found his courage wanting. Taken by panic and fear, he abandoned his people, climbed into the first transport he could find and fled Bothawui. Once in the Galaxy at large, Zrask chose to forget his planet and started selling his services as a mercenary, his betrayal an increasingy distant memory. His Obligation is Betrayal.

Whoo, that took a while. Sorry if it was too long, but I found that EotE is a very Character-based system, so I thought it best to give lots of details in order to give you guys a proper impression of our group. Unfortunately, I'm a bit short on time now, so I'll leave it at that and post the first session synopsis in a few hours.

White_North
2013-07-16, 03:57 PM
Allright, now for the Tale.

Chapter 1: Hunters and Hunted

So, our story begins on the Safe Passage, a passenger freighter headed to Tattoine. Aboard the ship, all manner of travellers, explorers and colonists can be found, hoping to make a life for themselves in the Outer Rim. But the Outer Rim, as they soon find, is not particularly hospitable to life. As the freighter is trudging along unhappily, alarms suddenly go off and the tense voice of the captain echoes through the ship, admonishing the passangers to remain calm. Zrask, however knows better. Looking out a viewscreen, he sees that an old Correllian ship, battered and seemingly barely holding together has pulled up alongside the Safe passage. A conical beam of transluscent light is shooting out from one of its ports, encompassing the passenger ship. It takes him only a moment to identify it. It is a tractor beam, pulling the Safe Passage closer and closer to meet an extending docking tube. The passenger ship is suddenly rocked by a soft commotion as the tube fastens onto it and the whole room goes silent.

But the silence does not stay for long. After a few short moments, a loud whine is heard throughout the ship as the bay doors open reluctantly, ushering in a large Gammorean, flanked by two humans with blaster pistols in their hands. The porcine figure strides out confidently among the passengers and announces loudly that they are now the property of the Kessel's Krayt and its crew. In the back rows, Zrask leans back against his seat and sighs loudly. Slavers. Why did it have to be slavers?

Elsewhere among the increasingly worried crowd, Mufasa and Jayden slowly gather their weapons and begin to subtly make their ways towards the back of the ship, attempting to evade the slavers' attention. Mufasa, however, is surprised when a small object (described in-game as a "space peanut"), hits him in the side of the head. He quickly looks around and sees a Bothan giving him a meaningful look and pointing towards a nearby row of seats where the crowd is less thick. A hiding spot. He makes his way to it as Zrask (the afoementioned Bothan) gets up and, moving a bit behind the Rodian, now waiting in ambush, calls out loudly "Hey, piggy!"

The room falls silent as the Gammorean turns around and, with an indignant squeal, surges foward and checks the Bothan accross the chest with his vibro-ax. Zrask is sent reeling backwards, but the slaver is now away from the brunt of the crowd, and his back vulnerably exposed to the waiting Rodian. A short hail of blasterfire later and the whole thing has gone to hell. Jayden attacks the other two pirates, cutting into them with his own blade as Zrask manages to disarm the Gammorean slaver with a lucky shot and Mufasa entusiastically joins in. Btween the three of them, the gammorean is quickly dispatched and the other two slavers soon follow.

That was the point where introductions would have been standard, but our intrepid crew had started to gather momentum and, spurred by our victory, we pushed on through the airlock, invading the unsuspecting slavers's ship. Once through, we find an open door waiting and, behind it, in the ship's entrance rail, an impressive Trandoshan is waiting, bearing a laster pistol on each hip and followed two groups of three slavers, nervously handling their weapons.

As we enter, the Trandoshan offers a placating gesture and, apparently not eager for a needless fight, makes a most reasonable proposition. "Help me take the people aboard as slaves, he says, and I'll give you each double share of the haul, as well as a job, if you so desire". Better yet, he offers to pay us to simply look the other way. Once his work is done, he'd happily drop us off on a nearby planet, with no hard feelings earned. A most reasonable proposition indeed. Unfortunately for him, we discovered that we're not the most reasonable of people.

Looking to his new-found companions, Zrask gauges their reaction. And while Jayden seems ambivalent, Zrask sees that Mufasa has a hand on the butt of his blaster, his finger almost compulsively pressing down on the trigger. Well, so much for negociations. Turning around, he looks the Trandoshan in the eye and says "How about a counter-proposal?" just as the Rodian draws his blaster and sends a hail of laser fire hurtling down the hall.

The ensuing battle was fierce, with that blasted trandoshan narrowly avoiding all of our attacks as we desperatly tried to manage both him and the two mion groups behind him. Early on, Jayden sliced into a nearby comm pannel and shut down all doors on the ship, preventing more slavers from joining the fray. We managed to kill one of the minion groups, desperately using nearby crates for cover from the torrent of blaster fire fire they were sending at us before Mufasa went down. Rushing to him, Zrask pulled him up and, while screaming "NOT TODAY!", jabbed a stimpack needle into his chest, bringing the Rodian surging back to life. Then, turning towards the Trandoshan, we both fired on him in a glorious blaze that finally put him down. The last minion group struggled for a little while longer until there was only one left, at which point he wisely surrendered.

After the shock of the hard battle, our characters headed to the cockpit, using Jayden's slicing skill to selectively open doors and create a safe path and took assessment of the ship we were on. It was a junk pile, to be sure, an old YT-1300 model, with not even enough fuel to make a short hyperspace jump. We disengaged the tractor beam and, as the captain of the Safe Passage asked us when we'd be clming back aboard, our little group had a sort of a moment. Looking around, we realized that, well, that ship didn't really have an owner anymore. And surely it'd be better off in the hands of some upstanding citizens of the empire. And, as luck would have it, we were right in sublight range of a small planet called Ryloth, where we might be ale to find fuel and repairs. Plus, Zrask said, he had an old friend that he ran with a few years ago that he had heard had relocated to Ryloth and was offering bounties for pirates and slavers (I flipped a Destiny point here to make the declaration, which the GM took fully in stride). And so, with an eager eye on the starry sky, our newly-founded crew set off towards Ryloth, with dreams of action, adventure and heaping mountains of credits.

Game Comments: so ended our first session. It was actually quite short, as most of the time was spent making characters. But, overall, everyone was impressed with the system. While I was familiar with it from havong followed the development, neither Mufasa nor Jayden had ever heard about it. And yet, they picked up the game mechanic in a few minutes and, after the first twenty minutes of gameplay, players were assembling their own dice pools and reading the results without any problems. The combat system, we found, hit that sweet spot, as it was just complex enough to provide plenty of options, but streamlined enough so that it was always moving along and was never confusing. Our GM awarded us 20 xp and we all went home looking foward to our next adventure in a galaxy far, far away.

Next time, on "For a Fistful of Credits": Hutts, Twi'leks, Ryll, Oh My! Where we discover we might not be the good guys after after all.

Hopeless
2013-07-17, 04:39 AM
Nicely done, look forward to your next journal!:smallsmile:

Bigbrother87
2013-07-17, 09:19 AM
I also look forward to hearing what happens next!

It's interesting that your party started out not knowing each other, which I know is the norm for RPGs, since EotE is designed in such a way that the players are supposed to already be a crew and know each other when the game starts.

That was an excellent use of a Destiny point to make that declaration, and things like that are what make the system look like such a fun time for all involved. It's designed to be more cooperative and story driven between the Gm and the Players, which is a refreshing change.

I've sold my own gaming group on the system through a combination of running them through the Beginner Box adventure where they had a lot of fun and learned the basics of the system, and saying "imagine Firefly in the Star Wars galaxy..."

I hope Ryloth is kind to your group!