PDA

View Full Version : Way Too New

aura59
2013-07-16, 02:10 PM
im reeeally new to DM work - im a player turned dm, due to our original dm flaking out. I know the basics being a player and all, and I write in my free time, so naturally I took up the sword.

im looking for advice and tips - just about anything that could help me improve. even plots and arcs would help, I just wanna improve my style a bit :smallfrown:

Yora
2013-07-16, 02:17 PM
Start simple. It often is more fun for everyone two play a simple but uncomplicated game that runs relatively smoothly than to struggle to a complex campaign that is difficult to handle. And by running some simpler games, you learn a lot more as a GM than trying something so big that you can't really see which things do actually work well and which ones don't.

I'd say start with some relatively straightforward adventures that span two or three play sessions and then can be wrapped up with no major plot threads connecting them to a bigger story. In other words, make the campaign a series of individual episodes of the PCs career rather than one big epic quest.

GreatDane
2013-07-16, 02:27 PM
I definitely agree with the above post. I began DMing on my second campaign (with the first only having met ~5 times), and I started out with a series of unconnected adventures that were straightforward and interesting. There are some free modules from WoTC floating around on the web that span from level 1 to level 20; they're a great way to get a handle on how DMing works and what an adventure should look like.

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-16, 02:28 PM
Go through the Giant in the Playground Forums and read up on all of the tricks players like to use to optimize their characters. Then go to your game and ban them all!

Okay, just kidding. But seriously, you should be very aware of all of the brokenness in the game before it comes up in yours. It's easier to get the players to agree with house rules if you bring them up in advance then if you rule on something mid-game. I've heard players complain because their build was nerfed after they had been playing it for a while, and that creates more hard feelings that way than if you tell them up front that something won't work.

aura59
2013-07-16, 03:05 PM
Go through the Giant in the Playground Forums and read up on all of the tricks players like to use to optimize their characters. Then go to your game and ban them all!

Okay, just kidding. But seriously, you should be very aware of all of the brokenness in the game before it comes up in yours. It's easier to get the players to agree with house rules if you bring them up in advance then if you rule on something mid-game. I've heard players complain because their build was nerfed after they had been playing it for a while, and that creates more hard feelings that way than if you tell them up front that something won't work.

I have to agree - I am an ex player - ive managed to break large holes in major plot quests with sheer "out of the box" on my side.

eggynack
2013-07-16, 07:23 PM
I'd advise getting really familiar with the tier system for classes (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5293), if you haven't already. It's one of the best blueprints that we have for how the game's balance works. You might want to consider running your game out of one segment of the tier list, instead of allowing all classes. Tier three only is a classic, but just about any tier range is better than the one the game defaults to. Even if you don't let the system effect your game directly, it's something that you should always be thinking about during a game. If a monk's player asks you for full BAB or some obscure chunk of equipment, you should probably just give it to them. If a wizard's player asks you to interpret an ambiguous rule in their favor, or wants you to waive some PrC prerequisite, you probably shouldn't. You also need to pay closer attention to what the high tiered classes are doing, because even if they're not breaking the game, the distance to game breaking power is incredibly small.

nedz
2013-07-16, 07:51 PM
Yora's advice is good, but you also want to stretch yourself over time. Once you are confident at running the game start trying new things.

GreenETC
2013-07-16, 07:57 PM
I agree with GreatDane, I have downloaded all the ones I could get my hands on, and running premade campaigns is definitely helpful for starting DMs. Even if you don't follow the book word for word, having a guideline of what should happen or how to have players move around and do stuff is helpful so you don't have to write down all the possible options.

Blackhawk748
2013-07-16, 08:03 PM
get a REALLY simple plot, then just write up some notes and unique character stats and you should be fine, theres a reason i dont write down very much. Players enjoy throwing +5 Plot Bane Wrenches. As a player you know that.

Heres a nice simple plot line. The characters come into a village, the village has recently been "taxed" by an ogre and his goblin henchmen. Winter is coming up and without those supplies the village is probably doomed.

Now just make a small dungeon sprinkled with a trap or two, roll health for a dozen goblins or so,give class levels to a few of them and make the ogre a 1st or 2nd lvl barbarian and it should work well.

Phelix-Mu
2013-07-16, 08:07 PM
Welcome to the club.

First off, I think it's generally agreed that the game is about fun. Make sure to communicate with your players so that you can get feedback about which bits they enjoyed most (preferences vary heavily from player to player), and then make adjustments where necessary.

Play to your own strengths. If you are good with off-the-cuff improv (and have decent-or-higher system mastery to back it up), then have some of that. If you are good with meticulous planning, then do that (but be ready to throw some of it out the window or heavily repurpose stuff when the players inevitably send a curve ball your way). If you are good at writing interesting npcs and running non-combat encounters (and your players enjoy that kind of thing), then do that. Because the job of a DM covers a large number of skills and involves a constant learning process, you should take advantage of the things that you are already good at so that your stress level will allow gradual improvement in areas you might not have so much expertise in.

Now, heavily borrow. I think the stuff about established modules and plot arcs is nice, but the advice can be extended to a more general level. Most of the best stories and plotlines are just re-hashes of older legends, myths, and archetypes. Look at movies, books, fanfics, and TVtropes that you like and steal like a mean, smooth criminal. Inspiration comes in many forms, as I'm sure you are aware as a writer.

While there is a bit of skill to weaving together plot elements into a coherent whole, it's very true that humans love a story. The DM is the storyteller. Give the players a sandbox, but make parts of that sandbox all head in the direction of the plot. Avoid railroading and retool your plot if the characters don't seem interested, but most players are interested in participating in some kind of story.

In any case, I can ramble on a bit, but the main thing I have to say is "Good Luck."