PDA

View Full Version : Special Materials for Cloth

Nettlekid
2013-07-16, 02:55 PM
I've recently bought my character some Gnome Twistcloth for armor, since he has a +11 Dex mod and it was the most economical choice for getting the most AC. Thanks to the lack of ACP, I don't even have to worry about not being proficient with it.

But I'm the kind of person who likes a little pizzazz (I don't think I've ever written that word before, and it looks so weird) in my weapons and armor, and I hate to just leave them as is if I can't stick on a template and special material. There are tons of cool special materials for metal weapons and armor, but I can't seem to find any remarkable cloth-based armor special materials. Can anyone point some out?

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-16, 03:06 PM
DnD cares a lot more about metals then fabric. Part of this may be because nice fabric was a sign that you were rich back in the mid-evil period. Until the industrial revolution, cloth was expensive to buy and lower quality then what we now own.

one possibility would be to ask your dm if they would allow clothing made out of metal thread.

unseenmage
2013-07-16, 03:11 PM
I too am interested in this topic.

Simple Masterwork comes to mind, as does Dwarvencraft if you can get a metal cloth. Item of Legend from Dragonlance: War of the Lance might work as well.

Not a material exactly but adding hidden pockets, patches, and pouches via the Hidden Spaces rules in Complete Scoundrel might be nice. In that direction there's also the Familiar Pocket spell possibly Permanencied.

There are several outfits in the Arms and Equipment Guide and Player's Handbook which would grant minor nonmagical bonuses.

Hope some of this helps.
Wish I could think of more actual materials for you though.

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-16, 03:30 PM
Shadowsilk in Tome of Magic gives a +2 untyped bonus to hide and move silently checks and increases the Max DEX bonus by +2. It has several other nice qualities as well.

Nettlekid
2013-07-16, 03:40 PM
Ah, now Shadow Silk is the sort of thing I want. Except that for Gnome Twistcloth, the increase in Max Dex and the decrease in ACP doesn't do anything, and if the Twistcloth is Feycrafted, the decrease in ASF also doesn't do anything. So all you get is +2 Hide and Move Silently, which is nice, but not really cool enough for all the fuss. Especially since my character isn't a stealthy type. But that's the sort of material I'm looking for.

unseenmage
2013-07-16, 03:55 PM
Shiftweave in MIC pages 133-134.

Stone Cloth (DC page 119 or D280) stops you from catching fire.

Eberron Campaign Setting:
Darkweave: +1 Circumstance to Hide -100 gp
Glamerweave: +1 Circumstance to Diplomacy, 1 pound lighter - 100 gp
Targath: Wearing a Targath item gives +2 resistance bonus on saves vs disease - No listed price

Sharn City of Towers:
Clebdacher Glammerweave: +2 Circumstance to Diplomacy, status symbol. - 2x base cost +500 gp

Magic of Eberron:
Chameloweave: +1 Circumstance on disguise checks, 1 pound lighter - 100 gp
Dolweave: +1 Circumstance on intimidate checks, 1 pound heavier -150 gp
Mournelode: +1 resistance bonus on saves vs undead -700 gp

All stolen from this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245287&page=2).

Valwyn
2013-07-18, 09:30 PM
You could also use Lead Lining (Complete Scoundrel 108) to block Detect Magic and the like. It costs 10 gp and makes the item 10% heavier. Dunno if it actually works for a whole outfit of it only applies to hidden spaces. Either way, it can only be added during item creation.

ShurikVch
2013-07-19, 04:26 AM
Anyone mentioned Spider Silk?

Person_Man
2013-07-19, 07:35 AM
Gnome Battle Cloak: This is a cloak that confers a +1 shield bonus if you are proficient with it. Since it provides a shield bonus and is listed as a shield in the equipment chart, you can enchant it with shield enhancements (which is useful for things like Energy Resistance, Arrow Deflection, and Negating), even though you're just wearing it. Basically it just saves you the expense of having to buy an Animated shield. You can't make a shield bash with it, but you can make Disarm attempts with it (and you get a +4 bonus), though you have to wield it as an off hand weapon like a light shield to do so. Requires Exotic Shield Proficiency to use properly, or you can take 1 level of Fighter and trade away your Tower shield proficiency. Races of Stone pg 155.

Gildedragon
2013-07-19, 12:59 PM
Shiftweave in MIC pages 133-134.

Stone Cloth (DC page 119 or D280) stops you from catching fire.

Eberron Campaign Setting:
Darkweave: +1 Circumstance to Hide -100 gp
Glamerweave: +1 Circumstance to Diplomacy, 1 pound lighter - 100 gp
Targath: Wearing a Targath item gives +2 resistance bonus on saves vs disease - No listed price

Sharn City of Towers:
Clebdacher Glammerweave: +2 Circumstance to Diplomacy, status symbol. - 2x base cost +500 gp

Magic of Eberron:
Chameloweave: +1 Circumstance on disguise checks, 1 pound lighter - 100 gp
Dolweave: +1 Circumstance on intimidate checks, 1 pound heavier -150 gp
Mournelode: +1 resistance bonus on saves vs undead -700 gp

All stolen from this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245287&page=2).

Mournlode and Taggarth are not textiles.

unseenmage
2013-07-19, 01:27 PM
Mournlode and Taggarth are not textiles.

What can I say, I post like I play TES games. Steal it all and let the merchants sort it out. :smallsmile: