PDA

View Full Version : What else should I buy?

qwertyu63
2013-07-16, 03:02 PM
I am making a Factotum 11, and can't decide what else to buy. Here is the inventory section of the sheet:

Inventory: (3450 gp left)
-Headband of Intellect +4
-Amulet of Health +4
-Ring of Disguise Self
-Ring of Charm Person
-Light swordbow [20 arrows]
-Adamantine chain shirt
-Belt of Battle
-Handy Haversack
--Everfull Mug, Endless Rations, Magic Bedroll
--Thieves' tools, spell pouch
--Crowbar, 50 ft' silk rope, flint and steel, mirror
--Hammer, winter blanket, firmament stone (moon)

Books in play for this character are the Magic Item Compendium and Dungeonscape (and the core books, but those are a given). Any ideas?

Asrrin
2013-07-16, 03:37 PM
Anklets of Translocation are always handy, and dirt cheap. Also a healing belt is a must have as well.

qwertyu63
2013-07-16, 04:04 PM
Anklets of Translocation are always handy, and dirt cheap. Also a healing belt is a must have as well.

Belt slot is taken. The anklets are great though.

Urpriest
2013-07-16, 04:08 PM
Have you got ranks in UMD? A couple wands would be nice.

qwertyu63
2013-07-16, 04:10 PM
Have you got ranks in UMD? A couple wands would be nice.

7 ranks. Off to look at wands. EDIT: I grabbed Cure Light wounds and Summon Monster I, and the anklet. 550 gp left.

Khedrac
If you ever plan to actually fight something (melee or ranged) you might find a magic weapon useful... Without it you could find incorporeal creatures munching down on you once you run out of inspiration points in an encounter

karkus
Buy the entire list of available mundane equipment, "just in case." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0373.html)

qwertyu63
2013-07-16, 04:11 PM
If you ever plan to actually fight something (melee or ranged) you might find a magic weapon useful... Without it you could find incorporeal creatures munching down on you once you run out of inspiration points in an encounter

...The light swordbow is a +1 rapier or +1 shortbow, switching on my command. (MiC 61)

Khedrac
2013-07-16, 04:20 PM
...The light swordbow is a +1 rapier or +1 shortbow, switching on my command. (MiC 61)

Ah thanks - I had not looked it up and assumed it was a weapon that functioned as either without being magic as not specified. That covers that hole nicely, I might want to get one for some of my characters...

Asrrin
2013-07-16, 04:25 PM

Belt of healing is for out of combat healing. It's basically a reusable potion of cure major wounds for the same cost as a one off potion.

qwertyu63
2013-07-16, 04:30 PM
Belt of healing is for out of combat healing. It's basically a reusable potion of cure major wounds for the same cost as a one off potion.

I know the item, I was just saying the slot was full. (and my funds left are below it at this point)

Slipperychicken
2013-07-16, 04:53 PM
Magic items are great, but it's the little things which really count.

You don't wear a Healing Belt 24/7. You get hurt in battle, then once the dust clears you put it on and spend one charge at a time, then take it off and put your "real" belt back on.

Also, mounts are always good, and worth pocket change at this level. If you're a ranged character, you get to skirmish (move while full-attacking? I can't say yes loud enough). If you're a melee, you get to do double damage lance charges. Either way, it's more encumbrance space, and can be used to distract hungry monsters and outrun your fellow PCs. You can even put them through Medium spaces at 1/2 speed. It might die quickly, but it's only like 75gp for a riding horse so you can just get another one (also means your enemy wasted an attack on a 75gp horse, which is good because he didn't hit you with it).

You forgot your trusty 10ft pole.

Grab a Sap so you can deal nonlethal damage when necessary.

Artisans tools will let you do most kinds of handicrafts when needed.

Tower Shields function to give you Total Cover (allowing you to "turtle" against nonmagic attacks), and also work as sleds in a pinch.

Consider making those Thieves Tools Masterwork. It's only 50gp extra, and it means a +2 to the relevant skill checks.

You'll want some Shapesand (100gp, Sandstorm). Any tool or small item you could ever desire, at your fingertips. Yes, even that one.

Grab a journal with an inkpen (an erasable alternative like pencil is ideal). This will let you record important messages, write reminders, notes, and make illustrations of creatures, symbols, and items. More importantly, it lets you sketch maps, and will be a boatload of help if your memory's ever wiped. Your character could even use them to write a book in-game (whether for posterity or profit). Also could be a fun "easter egg" to find in future campaigns.

A chalkboard + chalk will let you communicate without needing to speak, and also quickly draw and erase convenient illustrations as desired.

Antitoxin is cheap and gives you a +5 against poisons, so it can't hurt.

A nonmetal weapon like a club will be great if your DM is liable to throw Rust Monsters at you.

Lastly, there are a few variants on gas masks like Auran Masks and the one in Savage Species. They're handy for surviving underwater and dealing with gas-based attacks like Stinking Clouds.

Flickerdart
2013-07-16, 05:02 PM
The Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker is a great panic button when you suddenly find yourself standing in a nasty place and need to not be there anymore.