PDA

View Full Version : Time and the world inside the rift

Ellye
2013-07-16, 03:59 PM
With some decent odds that the Order might end up stepping inside the rift, a question has been in my mind: how would time work inside the rift, in relation to how time works in the OotSverse?

Some people theorize that the world inside the rift only began existing after they were closed - if that's the case, than time inside them must run much faster than outside.

Otherwise, any theory could seem valid.

Also... Belkar dies before the end of the year. But what if time flows differently inside the rift-world? The end of the year might take longer than we imagined to arrive.

Not that I believe that, though - I believe that "different time flows" are too scifi-y for OotS. And I don't think I would personally enjoy them - heck, I don't really think I would personally enjoy a visit to another world, in this story. But the Giant can easily surprise me, so... I'll keep occupying my mind wondering about what will happen. :smalltongue:

Gift Jeraff
2013-07-16, 04:58 PM
This got me thinking about the "water leaking out of Girard's Rift" idea I've seen thrown around. What if the world within the world is frozen in time/motion?

Klear
2013-07-16, 05:02 PM
First, we have no way of knowing and you should know that.
Second, I think the idea of time going at a different rate is a much more fantasy idea than sci-fi, by virtue of appearing in many very very old fairy tales.

Silver Swift
2013-07-18, 10:00 AM
Also... Belkar dies before the end of the year. But what if time flows differently inside the rift-world? The end of the year might take longer than we imagined to arrive.

This might be the first legitimate way out for Belkars prophecy that I've ever read on these boards. I agree that this is highly unlikely to happen, but at least it doesn't contradict any of the oracles prophecies.

Second, I think the idea of time going at a different rate is a much more fantasy idea than sci-fi, by virtue of appearing in many very very old fairy tales.

Yeah, I never got why Roy's grandfather thought that would be to scifi-ey.