PDA

View Full Version : uber lair creation

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-16, 04:09 PM
So I'm wanting to build a really nice lair for a dragon PC I'm playing, sized for gargantuan long. I'm trying to figure out the least expensive way to do so. So far, the best I have found is a Widened Mordenkainen’s Magnificent Mansion that is then made permanent. Anyone know a better way?

unseenmage
2013-07-16, 04:17 PM
Your thread reminded me to go check out the Lair Wards on page 84 of the Draconomicon.

The Stronghold Builders Guidebook could be useful too. Skip right to the wall augmentations and spells sections for the most fun.

JaronK
2013-07-16, 04:17 PM
The Landlord feat just gives you free money for doing this... lots of it.

Consider using Wall of Stone + Unseen Crafter + Stone Metamorphosis. The combo gives you an endless supply of any stone type you want (some of which, like Rock Gourds and Elukian Clay, are really useful), as well as craftsmen to build whatever you want. Fabricate helps too. Underdark Handbook has most of the neat stone types, while Arms and Equipment Guide has Elukian Clay (which is basically just stone that's as strong as Iron).

JaronK

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-16, 04:19 PM
Your thread reminded me to go check out the Lair Wards on page 84 of the Draconomicon.

The Stronghold Builders Guidebook could be useful too. Skip right to the wall augmentations and spells sections for the most fun.

I've looked at the stronghold builder's guidebook. I don't feel like spending over 30 mill for a moderately secure lair.

unseenmage
2013-07-16, 04:20 PM
If it's a Fire Dragon the Ash Willow from Dragon 347 could really class up the joint.

If it's more of a Fey style Dragon the Fey Cherry from Dragon 357 could have the lair built into it.

For an evil Dragon I suggest the Lichbriar from Dragon 357. It eats living things by slowly draining their xp. Very nasty.

Lightlawbliss
2013-07-16, 04:37 PM
The Landlord feat just gives you free money for doing this... lots of it.

Consider using Wall of Stone + Unseen Crafter + Stone Metamorphosis. The combo gives you an endless supply of any stone type you want (some of which, like Rock Gourds and Elukian Clay, are really useful), as well as craftsmen to build whatever you want. Fabricate helps too. Underdark Handbook has most of the neat stone types, while Arms and Equipment Guide has Elukian Clay (which is basically just stone that's as strong as Iron).

JaronK

For my uses, I would need something of equal or greater hardness to Adamantine if I build it in the material plane. And being immune to things like passwall and the vrius shaping spells is a big plus.

I will give Underdark another read through though.

JaronK
2013-07-16, 05:33 PM
Consider making that stone Dwarvencraft Quality (you'll need your Unseen Crafters or yourself to be pretty good at crafting for that). That's not adamantium hardness, but it's pretty decent.

Also consider things like Sickstone and Slickstone for extra defenses.

JaronK

Skysaber
2013-07-16, 10:51 PM
A scroll of Genesis is the most complete, and reasonably priced option for a secure place to live, sad to say.

I mean, I'd LIKE for there to be a dollhouse that you could shrink down and inhabit, or a mirror you could enter to live in, or a genie lamp that had entire palaces with gardens inside that all you had to do was wear a certain ring and rub it to go inside, but 3.5 does not have those options.

They took themselves a bit too seriously, I'm afraid.