PDA

View Full Version : New monster competition voting thread I: Back and of simple construction

inuyasha
2013-07-16, 04:49 PM
Voting thread!!

Everybody gets 3 votes, one for who should win 1st place, one for 2nd place, and one for 3rd place
votes may be changed by simply editing your post, dont worry about asking
Any winners will get a trophy drawn by me :)

{table=head]Monster name|Creator|1st|2nd|3rd
Imaginary|LOTRfan|-|-|-
Pinewood Guardian|Stake A Vamp|-|-|-
Cardboardeaux|Debihuman|-|-|-
Brain Spider Swarm|Temotei|-|-|-
Clockwork Golem|Brett|-|-|-
[/table]
Although not required, reasons for your votes are encouraged

Poll closes on 29th, and you cannot vote for yourself

smoke prism
2013-07-16, 08:14 PM
1st: Brain spider swarm ( Temotei): because it's creepy and it speaks to my inner mad Scientist.

2nd: Cardboardeaux ( Debihuman ): because it's unique and interesting, and to see it's reaction to a bar room brawl would be amusing.

3rd: Pinewood Guardian (Stake A Vamp): I really like the Idear of a living golem, and the weaknesses to fire is a nice touch.

Ideas for the next contest:

The depths: The strange creatures that live under the sea.

When you look into the abyss: Creatures that slowly corrupt those who oppose them.

Play on words: Creatures that are based on word play.

Perception: Creatures that have abilities based on one of the seances.

Debihuman
2013-07-17, 09:23 AM
1. Pinewood Guardian
2. Brainspider Swarm
3. Imaginary

Sorry changed my vote (didn't realize we couldn't vote for our own entry).

And please link this to the contest.

New idea: Baby, it's HOT outside. Create an original outsider with a heat/fire effect.

Debby

Temotei
2013-07-17, 01:02 PM
Debi:
. . .and you cannot vote for yourself

1st: Cardboardeaux, by Debihuman. This is just funny. I like it.

2nd: Clockwork golem, by smoke prism. Very steampunk, and this gets my award for "most likely to see play." :smallwink:

3rd: Pinewood guardian, by Stake A Vamp. I like the whole sap strength-and-weakness deal. What would make it even cooler is if you could harvest the sap as treasure (as an oil to be applied to armor, maybe?).

LOTRfan
2013-07-17, 02:26 PM
1st: Most definitely Debihuman's Cardboardeaux. It's definitely one of the more unique monsters, and it was an entertaining read.

2nd: Brain Spiders. Again, a very interesting monster, and I like a good swarm.

3rd: Pinewood Golem.

Since people were also including ideas for next month's contest;

Something Wicked This Way Comes: Create a nomadic monster that always seems to bring death and destruction wherever it goes.

3WhiteFox3
2013-07-17, 03:31 PM
1: Cardboardeaux by 'debihuman' - A fun, creative monster that has a bunch of great plot threads and potential for creative encounters.

2: Clockwork Golem by 'smoke prism' - As a sucker for all themes steampunk/clockwork, I like it. It doesn't hurt that it's also very similar to the automatons from the New Doctor Who episode 'A Girl in the Fireplace'. It works well as a strong brawling monster and as a twist for the standard guardian statues you see for treasure.

3: Pinewood Golem by 'Stake A Vamp' - This was a close tie between the Golem and the Brain Spider Swarm. The Pinewood Golem wins out for the creative special abilities, the fun fluff and the awesome fire weakness, I would love to see the look on the PC's faces when they decide to hit it with fire and it becomes even more dangerous.

Ideas:

'Thinking outside the PHB.' - Must be inspired by or be thematically tied to a non-core subsystem or class.

'What's that slimy thing I touched?' - Oozes of any sort. Or anything slimy in nature.

'It came from beyond' - Far Realms monstrosities.

Temotei
2013-07-17, 03:55 PM
2: Clockwork Golem by 'Temotei'

That was brett, not me. I made the brain spider swarm. :smalltongue:

3WhiteFox3
2013-07-18, 12:23 AM
That was brett, not me. I made the brain spider swarm. :smalltongue:

Oops. :smallredface:

I have no clue why I made that mistake, I specifically noted that you wrote the Brain Spider. Guess my brain just shutdown there.

EDIT: No matter, I fixed it now... Thanks Temotei.

smoke prism
2013-07-18, 04:29 PM
All who have voted for the clockwork golem will Have to chance Brett to smoke prism, due to Name change.

Temotei
2013-07-19, 11:39 AM
All who have voted for the clockwork golem will Have to chance Brett to smoke prism, due to Name change.

Ah, the switch. We were both wrong, WhiteFox. :smallamused:

Debihuman
2013-07-19, 12:19 PM
I think people are voting on the name of the creature so it's not a problem with your name change.

Debby

smoke prism
2013-07-19, 12:38 PM
I think people are voting on the name of the creature so it's not a problem with your name change.

Debby

Ye I know I just thought to post it to avoid confusion.

Mangles
2013-07-20, 03:40 AM
1st: Cardboardeaux

Debihuman
2013-07-25, 01:38 AM
Bumping so people will come out and vote!

Debihuman
2013-07-29, 06:47 AM
Reminder: Tomorrow is the last day to vote. See Contest here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288256

Debby

Debihuman
2013-08-03, 11:49 AM
Tallies
{table=head]Monster name|Creator|1st|2nd|3rd
Imaginary|LOTRfan|-|-|1
Pinewood Guardian|Stake A Vamp|1|-|3
Cardboardeaux|Debihuman| 4 |1|-
Brain Spider Swarm|Temotei|1|2|-
Clockwork Golem|Brett Smoke Prism|-|2|-
[/table]

I guess its if all numbers count equally:

Cardboardeaux for 1st place
Pinewood guardian for 2nd
Brain Spider Swarm for 3rd.

Or is it

Cardboardeux for 1st
Brain Spider Swarm for 2nd
Pinewood Guardian for 3rd

I hate this system. Do 3rd place votes count less than 2nd place votes or is it strictly by the numbers?

Since this contest is over, I'm going to edit Cardboardeaux now.

Debby

Edited for corrctedness

Temotei
2013-08-03, 05:17 PM
I hate this system. Do 3rd place votes count less than 2nd place votes or is it strictly by the numbers?

Judging by the wording in the first post, I think it's whoever wins each category (of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, most votes winning that place), but that doesn't work for people who get more votes in 1st and 2nd than the 2nd-place person.

It might be 1st = 3 points, 2nd = 2 points, 3rd = 1 point, add up the totals for final places, which would put the cardboardeaux in first by a long shot with 13 points, the brain spider swarm in 2nd with 7 points, and the pinewood guardian in 3rd with 6 points.

inuyasha
2013-08-03, 10:14 PM
Thank you Debby, may I ask you to take over for me while I recover, I would do it, but its hard on this tablet. I miss being in front of a computer screen home brewing away. I came home 2 days ago, feeling much better than I was. I've got two casts on my legs, thigh to ankle.

PS sorry for talking so much, my surgery will be helping me alot

PSS temotei has it right in his second guess, I didn't word it right, that's how the system works, and I'm sorry I can't get your prizes

Debihuman
2013-08-04, 05:44 AM
I don't care about prizes, but I do hope you make a speedy recovery!

I normally would take up your offer but I think it would look terribly biased if I was helping edit the entries and running the contest. I appreciate the offer, but decline.

Debby

inuyasha
2013-08-04, 11:26 AM
That's OK, it sucks that I can't help continue with the contest :frown:

Temotei
2013-08-04, 11:59 AM
PSS temotei has it right in his second guess, I didn't word it right, that's how the system works, and I'm sorry I can't get your prizes

Dude, you just had surgery. Don't sweat it. We'll be glad to have you back in on the contests when you're up to it, but don't worry about it until then, y'know?

inuyasha
2013-08-04, 12:17 PM
Dude, you just had surgery. Don't sweat it. We'll be glad to have you back in on the contests when you're up to it, but don't worry about it until then, y'know?

I'm sorry xd, I just can't do my favorite hobby very easily now, I had so many projects I was working on, like a new campaign setting, and monster manual 6