PDA

View Full Version : On bring players back from the grave

aura59
2013-07-16, 07:06 PM
in short, how should I approach this sensitive topic?

limejuicepowder
2013-07-16, 07:10 PM
Are you talking about resurrection spells or continuing to use characters that belong to RL deceased players?

Jack_Simth
2013-07-16, 07:18 PM
Are you talking about resurrection spells or continuing to use characters that belong to RL deceased players?
Regardless, the answer is the same. You sit down and discuss it with the gaming group in a frank and straightforward manner. Check with the players/DM about how 'final' they want character deaths to be. Getting advice from random people on the internet isn't exactly going to help much with a specific group, as everyone has differing expectations of what's correct, and it doesn't matter what the random people on the internet think about it, what matters is the enjoyment of the people at your gaming table, and thus, their expectations.

Unless, of course, the OP is taking about exactly what he actually said, in which case, all bets are off. I mean, raising a deceased player... well, there aren't many people that can pull that off.

RogueDM
2013-07-16, 08:40 PM
Unless, of course, the OP is taking about exactly what he actually said, in which case, all bets are off. I mean, raising a deceased player... well, there aren't many people that can pull that off.

Talk to Jack Chick, apparently he knows some.

kreenlover
2013-07-16, 10:47 PM
Talk to Jack Chick, apparently he knows some.

The Deity(s) (not to mention the player) won't be happy about rezzing a player who is enjoying hos afterlife of Eternal D&D... (among other things)

NevinPL
2013-07-17, 04:07 AM
At night, with caution, secrecy, and shovel.

Harlot
2013-07-17, 06:20 AM
If you're talking in game, the RAW states how to do it.

If you're talking about reviving dead characters, I think it depends on the PC having that character. Is he/she still in the group? Does he feel strongly about the character?0 Was he OK with it dying/him rolling up a new one, or was he strongly attached to it? Do you revive it for the player to use, or do you wan't to run it as an NPC?

We need more info in order to help you ...

Arc_knight25
2013-07-17, 07:38 AM
Your question is kind of vague. Only time I could see myself as a DM bringing back a long dead PC would have alot to do with plot. I've done "cameo's" with past characters I have played and played with. I see no reason why that would be a problem.

If you are in a long campaign and a Player wishes to bring back a character from close to the beginging of the campaign, your going to need a pretty good reason as to why they would want to return after possible years of being dead.

All in all if your the DM and you think you can swing it I see no problem with it, but again as already stated by some, talk with your group about said action.

Hyena
2013-07-17, 07:39 AM
The punishment for graverobbing may be harsh, but the priiiize...

BowStreetRunner
2013-07-17, 12:51 PM
There really isn't enough context in your question to provide a solid response. Are you a player or DM? With whom will you be approaching this sensitive topic? Exactly what sort of situation are you facing - player wants to bring back their dead character, someone wants to bring back a dead PC belonging to another player, DM is looking to bring back a dead PC as an undead NPC? There are so many possibilities that it would be impossible to guess what you mean.

I have seen PCs raised, resurrected, reincarnated, come back as undead, come back as Hellbred, and even one whose spirit was incorporated into an intelligent magic item. Some of these events followed clearly defined rules in the game, some had to be house-ruled by the DM. Some created in-game character conflicts and others created real-life player conflicts.

Just not sure what you are looking for. :smallconfused:

ericp65
2013-07-17, 02:13 PM

By elaborating on what the intent is :smallsmile:

Slipperychicken
2013-07-17, 04:00 PM
The punishment for graverobbing may be harsh, but the priiiize...

Be sure to say that while walking through the doorway to the Lich's chamber. Then roll to seduce the Lich, and succeed.