PDA

View Full Version : What are some fun foes for an epic monsters vs. superheroes type of game?

7RED7
2013-07-16, 07:59 PM
To make a long story short, most of the gods have disappeared to do battle in the unimaginable ends of the universe. Most of the powerful demigods, dragons, and powerful individuals with ties to these deities have disappeared as well. With the abandoning of their domains, the deities have allowed the world to sway in the winds of fate. Storms and quakes have spiralled out of control, titans are straining at their newly weakened bonds, the barriers of reality are breaking down, and the hinges of cosmic doors best kept shut are being shaken with a force that echoes across the universe.

Of the once mighty divine pantheons only the goddesses Erathis and Tymora have remained and are the sole sources of divine intervention in the mortal world. Their followers have come together hoping that a productive society and good-natured luck will be enough to see them through. Under the watchful eyes of Erathis and Tymora's high priests, much of the civilized world has combined resources to support the Vanguard of the Prime Material, an organization that recruits and cultivates the top heroic talents in the known world in order to fill the power vacuum left by those who followed their gods into oblivion. The Vanguard's goal is to rapidly suppress any abominable uprising or fiendish incursion that would threaten mortal life or the stability of the Prime itself (taking a decidedly aggressive approach to the old "best defense is a good offense" philosophy of combat). There have been rumors of an uneasy truce between the twin goddesses and a mysterious "Infernal Regent" that is somehow slowing the advance of abyssal forces with the incredibly understaffed forces of hell, and that this regent may even have agents embedded within the illustrious vanguard.

New legends are being forged as previously unsung heroes rise up to protect their way of life from the onslaught of chaos and malevolence.

So, basically I'm trying to figure out what will be some of the best challenges for these new legends when it comes to epic 4e monsters. Which ones are the most thematically as well as mechanically enjoyable to play? Which have the best supporting cast of rogues? Are there any quality BBEG's that come with modules simple enough to last a session or two (I really want to make the campaign more of an Avengers style crisis response squad with terrible threats popping up all the time)? Character mortality will be an aspect of the gameplay and not actively prevented by me, so besides Orcus who or what may give some of the players a crazy death that can be more of a unique experience?

erikun
2013-07-18, 12:35 PM
One thing I really love about D&D4e is how they treated elementals, and what is now in the elemental group. You have your basic Elementals themselves alongside elemental Archons. Giants now belong in the elemental group as well, as do the more impressive Titans. And then you have the big Archomentals like Ogrémoch and Imix, which I know are in the later MM books.

If you're bored of that, you can throw in Efreeti or Dragons or even Genasi as minor "sub-BBEG" under the big 5.