PDA

View Full Version : arcane heirophant ubermount ??

animewatcha
2013-07-16, 08:28 PM
Arcane Hierophant: Great for CL based Ubermount when you have Dragon Magazine.

Saw this in another thread. Anyone care to elaborate?

Snowbluff
2013-07-16, 08:54 PM
Oh dear, where do I begin. I really wish I put the whole build on the thread I talked about it.

The essence is to use the Holy Mount (Adds your Divine CL to Special Mount level), Theugic Mount (Adds , Devoted Tracker (Special Mount is Animal Comapanion), and Theurgic Companion (Adds Arcane Level to Animal Companion or Familiar, I think) to make a Special Mount/Animal Companion/Familiar. Knight Ranger of Furmundy is the best Special Mount class to use, due to the Druid/Paladin conflicting alignments.

Eventually, the mish mash creature has more HD than you do.

Wizard Spells are great to share with your monster. Like Wraith Strike.

Coidzor
2013-07-16, 08:58 PM
Arcane Hierophant progresses Arcane and Divine casting, so feats like Holy Mount and Theurgic Mount from Dragon Magazine which progress a paladin's special mount based upon levels in divine and arcane casting classes respectively work well with the PrC. Both Holy Mount and Theurgic Mount are from Dragon Magazine 325.

Theurgic Bond from the same issue also progresses either animal companion or familiar based upon class levels that grant the other, but it's less relevant to ubermounting, especially with arcane hierophant.

animewatcha
2013-07-16, 09:00 PM
Sheesh. A bit much to wrap my head around.

What would you suggest for wizard 3 / druid 3 / mystic theurge 2 / arcane hiero 10 / mystic 2 ?

Race elf. Sources are any of the WOTC books, except psionics, incarnum, tome of battle, oriental adventures, vile darkness, and elder evils. No exalted or vile.

Was thinking of the rapter thing from monster manual 3 to help with crowd control ( fort save for blindness ), but i'm not familiar with animal companions much. Let alone mounts.

Snowbluff
2013-07-16, 09:05 PM
Sheesh. A bit much to wrap my head around.

What would you suggest for wizard 3 / druid 3 / mystic theurge 2 / arcane hiero 10 / mystic 2 ?

Race elf. Sources are any of the WOTC books, except psionics, incarnum, tome of battle, oriental adventures, vile darkness, and elder evils. No exalted or vile.

Was thinking of the rapter thing from monster manual 3 to help with crowd control ( fort save for blindness ), but i'm not familiar with animal companions much. Let alone mounts.

Elves can't ride Medium Gold dragons. This is all wrong. :smalltongue:

I would actually suggest Versatile Spellcaster and Heighten Spell to cut Wizard Levels.

Devoted Tracker requires track. UA has a druid variant that ditches wildshape for Track. The build is pretty feat starved overall.

Also, this is a primary combatant. Get something painful. Like the Draconic Mount. Give it VoP. You can't use a fleshraker, since it's not a normal option for special mount.

Coidzor
2013-07-16, 09:11 PM
Well, Theurgic Bond should give you +7 levels to animal companion progression between all of those wizard and mystic theurge levels.

Not really an ubermount if all that's going on is familiar and animal companion progression though, since they're just getting smarter and better natural armor from the familiar side rather than getting the buckets of bonus HD that special mount + animal companion grants.

This variant druid (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid)gives track. Still have to get smite evil for devoted tracker though, as well as enough levels of something to get a special mount.

Snowbluff
2013-07-16, 09:20 PM
Wow, I forgot what a headache this thing is. No wonder why I don't play it anymore.

animewatcha
2013-07-16, 09:26 PM
Class levels are locked in due to the feat that gives 4 spell each level ( 1st level only ). Class list is limited other wise I would ask another way to pull it off since wizard spellbook vulnerability ( DM thing, few shenanigans would be tolerated ).

Forgot to mention dragon comp is a yay. Dragon mag is a no. I will ask about theugic bond though ( not in comp, but same issue as elemental theurge thing ).

Aside from velocirapter thing from MM3. What other animal companions are would for crowd control?

Spuddles
2013-07-16, 10:26 PM
Arcane Hierophants don't actually have a familiar, though, so not all those tricks work.

Relevant rules text:

Companion Familiar: Upon becoming an arcane hierophant, you must dismiss your familiar, if you have one (You do not risk losing XP for doing so.) You may retain any one animal companion you already possess. You add your arcane hierophant class level to your druid or ranger level for purposes of determining your animal companion's bonus Hit Dice, natural armor adjustment, and Strength/Dexterity adjustment (see the sidebar The Druid's Animal Companion, page 36 of the Player's Handbook). For example, a character who is a 4th-level druid/3rd-level wizard/4th-level arcane hierophant has the animal companion of an 8th-level druid (+4 bonus HD, +4 natural armor, and +2 Strength/Dexterity adjustment, or an animal companion chosen from the 4th-level or 7th-level lists). In addition, your animal companion (if any) gains many of the abilities that a familiar would normally possess. You add your arcane hierophant class level to your arcane spellcasting class level, and determine the Intelligence bonus and special abilities of your animal companion accordingly (see the sidebar Familiars, page 53 of the Player's Handbook). For example, a 4th-level druid/3rd-level wizard/4th-level arcane hierophant has a familiar companion equal to that of a 7th-level wizard and 8th-level druid (Intelligence 9, alertness, improved evasion, share spells, empathic link, deliver touch spells, speak with master, speak with animals of its kind, devotion). The Hit Dice, hit points, attack bonus, saving throws, feats, and skills of the familiar companion are determined as normal for an animal companion. Due to the familiar companion's unusual Intelligence score, it may very well have more skill points than other animals of its kind. The familiar companion is a magical beast (augmented animal), but you can bestow harmless spells on your familiar companion as if it were an animal instead of a magical beast. If your familiar companion is killed or dismissed, you do not lose XP. You can summon a new familiar companion by performing a ceremony requiring 24 hours of uninterrupted prayer.

Note that your familiar companion is probably also an animal companion, but there's nothing there to suggest that it's a familiar for the purpose of anything other than intelligence and special familiar abilities.

[edit]
Actually none of the feats really require a familiar, anyway. Nevermind.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-07-17, 01:48 AM
I was playing around with a ubermount AH build not that long ago.
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289543) is the thread.