PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Goliath Druid and an alternate animal companion

Dhx711
2013-07-16, 09:16 PM
My 11 lvl (1 Ftr, 9 Druid) is working on beefing up his Wolverine companion. I took the 6th lvl Druid racial substation lvl from RoS but before I apply the templet to the critter I'm wondering if the last paragraph from RoS pg 152 means that my effective druid lvl is now at 3 for determining the wolverines abilities.

And yes Awakening him is on the docket :-)

danzibr
2013-07-17, 06:40 AM
My 11 lvl (1 Ftr, 9 Druid) is working on beefing up his Wolverine companion. I took the 6th lvl Druid racial substation lvl from RoS but before I apply the templet to the critter I'm wondering if the last paragraph from RoS pg 152 means that my effective druid lvl is now at 3 for determining the wolverines abilities.

And yes Awakening him is on the docket :-)
Yes that's exactly what it means in this case. Level 9 Druid, -3 for Wolverine being better than the norm, -3 for the Goliath thingy. Fortunately Natural Bond (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-adventurer--54/natural-bond--2030/) helps mitigate the losses.

Also, IIRC an Awakened animal cannot be your AC (consult your DM).

eggynack
2013-07-17, 06:43 AM
Also, IIRC an Awakened animal cannot be your AC (consult your DM).
This is very much accurate. The relevant line is in the PHB page 202, where it says, " An awakened animal can’t serve as an animal companion, familiar, or special mount."

Dhx711
2013-07-17, 01:06 PM
Son of a witch!

I must have ignored the Awaken part not being usable for a companion.

I'll also need to hold off on applying that racial substitution until I pick up Natural Bond at 12th.