PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Help for my Cavalier?

IainL
2013-07-16, 11:41 PM
Hey everyone.

Starting a new campaign next week with a couple of my buddies and I've been leaning towards a Cavalier. The character in my mind is a typical Knight, so I don't really want to do a small race which I know will be suggested - strictly Human.

I'm pretty new to character building in Pathfinder. I've only ever played in a random 6th level campaign for 2 months. Since I'm pretty new, I wanted to look for a guide of sorts online but there is literally not a single guide (that is completed).

So far what I have is this:

Human Cavalier Lv1 - Haven't chosen an Order yet, probably Sword or Dragon (need help with that decision too).

Stats: Randomly rolled 4d6, take out lowest.
Str: 18 (20 from racial bonus)
Dex: 14
Con: 15
Int: 12
Wis: 4 (randomly rolling for our stats.. got hit hard on this one)
Cha: 11

Feats: I went with Mounted Combat and Ride By Attack to eventually lead up to Spirited Charge, not exactly sure though since I think I probably need Power Attack.

Traits: I took Heirloom Weapon for the Masterwork Lance and then Rich Parents for the extra 500GP to go towards armour. They both nicely fit the background I have as well.

Starting Equipment: 675GP
Half-plate: 600GP
Lance: 10GP
Longsword: 15GP
Heavy Steel Shield: 20GP
Cavalier's Kit: 23GP

Thoughts? I don't really know what I'm doing as you can probably tell. Not bad for level 1?

avr
2013-07-17, 06:22 AM
Heirloom weapon got errata and is now a minor bonus which is of no use to you. Consider Principled or Indomitable Faith to give you a chance of not being the chew toy of anyone with a spell with a Will save.

You have a +2 dex bonus and half plate, which limits your dex bonus to zero. Think again and get some lighter armour like a breastplate.

Cavalier is a class which ages poorly. Consider now how you're going to leave it, i.e. what prestige class. Multiclassing before entering a PrC is a good idea even if the PrC you want doesn't require it, assume 4 levels of cavalier max. The Horse Master feat advances your main class feature past this point.

Also consider what you're going to be doing when off your horse, which will be most of the time. As long as you have only one attack of opportunity you're not that great at intercepting foes, with a one handed weapon and no damage bonuses you're not that great at killing foes, and you don't presently do anything out of combat or have impressive mobility off your horse. Something needs to change here.

Novawurmson
2013-07-17, 10:39 AM
Not bad at all. I would heavily suggest taking Power Attack as one of your first feats, as it will keep you relevant in damage off or on your steed; I'd delay Ride By Attack.

As Avr says, cavalier is not a class to spend your 1-20 career in, but it is an excellent starting point for a mounted character, especially with the Horse Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/horse-master-combat) feat. Anything full Bab is worth considering afterwards - Ranger, Barbarian, Paladin, (if your DM allows 3rd party material) Aegis, Soulknife...

Tokuhara
2013-07-17, 11:45 AM
My preferred Cavvy is:

Human Order of the Dragon Standard Bearer 6/Bard 4/Battle Herald 10.

You are now the party's quarterback. Buff everyone around you, inspire courage, and then call yourself a Warlord from 4e