PDA

View Full Version : Creating Intelligent Constructs?

Matticussama
2013-07-17, 12:16 AM
My Google-Fu is failing me: are there any dedicated rules to creating intelligent constructs?

I'm aware of a few specific Golems like the Nimblewright and the Helmed Horror, but those are very limited. One of the players in my game is running a Cloistered Cleric of Hephaestus/Effigy Master and would like for his character to learn how to create intelligent Effigys.

I'm aware of the rules for Intelligent items, but I'm hesitant to give him complete access to creating effigies with those abilities. Especially the lesser powers and greater powers, since their effects can be significantly more expensive than the base price modifier given in the chart.

Jon_Dahl
2013-07-17, 12:26 AM
How about Force Golems? Those ones are pretty smart and not overly expensive (if you compare with other golems).

Drachasor
2013-07-17, 12:48 AM
There's the Awaken Construct spell.

Overall, not many rules on intelligent constructs.

Skysaber
2013-07-17, 01:34 AM
There is the Rudimentary Intelligence feat from one of the Dragon Magazines. For a straight 8k gp, a construct you create gains an Int score equal to half your caster level.

So if you are in the 16th to 18th level range to create most golems, you can give them an 8 to 9 Int. Not brilliant, but about what you could expect out of castle guards you'd hired.

And having an Int score gives constructs skills and feats of its own, so is very useful.

Another way to do it is to use a template out of Dragonlance. That can make an intelligent construct. But you're liable to get less quibbles out of Dmag material than one of the Dragonlance splatbooks.

Matticussama
2013-07-17, 01:47 PM
Skysabre, do you remember the name of the template? I don't mind using Dragonlance materials. Plus, having options is always a good thing.

Skysaber
2013-07-18, 02:56 PM
Skysabre, do you remember the name of the template? I don't mind using Dragonlance materials. Plus, having options is always a good thing.

Name of the template is Sacred Guardian, and is found in the Bestiary of Krynn.

It is cheap. It is awesome, and if allowed I would put it on every golem or construct I create.

Matticussama
2013-07-18, 03:10 PM
Thanks! I'll look into it and some of the other options. My players are only level 9 and the game probably won't go past 12 - 13, so templates are probably my preferred option as opposed to high level spells or feats.